Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 885979 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #9090 on: February 17, 2016, 06:20:06 pm »

UML help. I'm trying to write this before the deadline now that my actual program is completed. It's thankfully extra credit but I'm having trouble over what I put where.

Specifically If I have a constructor with one more parameters how would I write them? Everything else I think is okay but i'm not sure.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: February 17, 2016, 11:03:45 pm »

Okay, how even DOES big-O notation work, and what is it for radix sort?  It's APPARENTLY O(wn), but w just isn't making any sense and I've even heard it said that that's not even a valid...Thing.

while(true){this.out.textToSpeech("AAA");}
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:06:31 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: February 17, 2016, 11:16:08 pm »

big O notation is the asymptotic growth profile of the worst case of a given algorithm; "n" usually refers to the size of the input.

O(n2) means that the growth profile of the worst case scenario is n2. It could be 1,000,000n2, and it'd still be O(n2), since it's asymptotic (and 1,000,000 barely makes a dent on 10101002).

Radix sort is O(wn), where w is the word size of the keys to be sorted. w can be treated as a constant AFAIK, since you're probably not increasing word size when you increase array size (I.E. an array of 32-bit integers won't suddenly become an array of 64-bit integers when you quadruple the size of the array), which is why it may be preferable over O(nlogn) algorithms such as mergesort or quicksort.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: February 17, 2016, 11:18:10 pm »

I keep getting mixed signals on w being constant,  though.  I blame Wikipedia but seriously.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: February 17, 2016, 11:21:02 pm »

OHOOHH

yeah it's right, the size of the keys, not the values, i'm dumb

yeah, if you have 8 keys the key is going to be 3 bits, 16 keys 4 bits etc.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: February 17, 2016, 11:22:23 pm »

Aha.  Thankye.

AAAARGH I HAVE TO EDIT THAT NOW RRRRRRGH.
Sigtext

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: February 18, 2016, 03:24:25 am »

For Radix sort, it looks at things on a per-symbol basis, so it doesn't have to be binary-based. It can be base 10, or you can use it for sorting words on a base-26 system. "w" is the average number of symbols per "word" in your input data, hence why it's not a normal constant. For example if your sorting words, then w is the average number of letters in your input words, e.g. 3.6 letters per word.

In other words, whether radix sort is better or worse than an O(N log N) algorithm would be a matter of whether the average word-length is less than or greater than log2N (the efficiency of the best binary-based sorts). Hence, Radix sort is best at sorting a large number of short keys.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:28:30 am by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: February 18, 2016, 03:26:35 am »

Yeah, but the minimum for w is log(n), AFAIK. There's no way to store keys with less data.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: February 18, 2016, 03:29:17 am »

But the algorithm only does an operation per-symbol.

e.g. if you input the integer "102" it processes the 1, the 0 then the 2. If all your inputs are three-digit numbers, then w is three, regardless of how many numbers you are sorting, and regardless of what data type you use to store them.

EDIT: I improved my understanding of radix sort just now. Basically, you do an O(N) sort into bins. If the base is 10 you sort your values into 10 bins based on the lowest value decimal place. Then you take the values out of those bins in order, and put them into another 10 bins, but based on their 10's values. Then you take the ones sorted by 10's values, and again transfer them into 10 bins based on their 100's value. That's three passes of an O(N) algorithm, for a fully sorted list. Hence "w" is 3, and the overall algorithm has order O(WN).

https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/software/AlgAnim/radixsort.html

Basically, if there are a large number of keys to sort, or the length of the keys is relatively short, radix sort becomes very effective compared to comparison-based sorts.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:02:11 am by Reelya »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #9099 on: February 18, 2016, 08:23:56 pm »

Mind sharing it when it's done? I know I'd like it.
Source is right here. The code is still a bit rough, and you'll need to get this and this installed... and use Python 2.x

I wish installing dependencies was easier on windows.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: February 18, 2016, 11:05:47 pm »

Mind sharing it when it's done? I know I'd like it.
Source is right here. The code is still a bit rough, and you'll need to get this and this installed... and use Python 2.x

I wish installing dependencies was easier on windows.
Couldn't you use pip with a requirements file?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #9101 on: February 19, 2016, 02:29:33 am »

Couldn't you use pip with a requirements file?
Yeah, I remembered pip right after I posted that. Can't seem to find a repository for that win32gui module, though.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: February 19, 2016, 09:08:14 am »

Yeah, I remembered pip right after I posted that. Can't seem to find a repository for that win32gui module, though.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pypiwin32

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: February 19, 2016, 02:37:11 pm »

Does anyone know a good web API to send a message from one phone (specifically a Windows phone) to another without requiring user intervention?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #9104 on: February 19, 2016, 04:50:30 pm »

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pypiwin32

...And it had a slightly different name than what I searched for. Thanks!
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 796