Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 882837 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #8760 on: January 12, 2016, 01:51:07 am »

You probably want to check out what the Let's Play community use.

If the most useful software doesn't save to mp4, you could easily convert that to mp4 with one of many GUI applications or a command-line utility like libav. Don't limit your software choices just because your preferred software doesn't save directly to mp4.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: January 12, 2016, 12:10:46 pm »

Getting back into Java for my software development class, after not using it for about two years. Is there any compelling reason to put the time in to learn eclipse or some other IDE vs just using vim? Haven't used an IDE since the last time I used Java, and back then I had very little experience with programming, so I don't know if there are any major features or even basic benefits that I'm overlooking.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: January 12, 2016, 12:39:29 pm »

Things I really really like about Eclipse (Don't know whether vim does these):

1) Automatic compile-time error highlighting as you type. So damn convenient. You will never ever have to manually compile again, much less go through a list of compile-time errors. And you can hover over an error to get a list of recommended fixes you can deploy with a single click. You can also abuse this in many ways for productivity.

2) Autocomplete. Very useful, especially in Java with those extremely long token names.

3) Control-click to jump to the definition of whatever you clicked on, combined with keyboard shortcuts to jump back to your previous edit location. Damn that is useful.

4) Hover for javadoc.

5) Alt+Shift+R to rename a thing, renaming that thing everywhere in all your code.

6) The debugger *_* So useful.

These are my most favourite features of Eclipse, but there are a lot of other things that just make working with Eclipse so much better than working with just a regular text editor. I don't know how much of this vim can do too, but I still doubt it'll ever beat Eclipse in terms of convenience. So yeah, I recommend Eclipse.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: January 12, 2016, 01:29:46 pm »

Eh, vim isn't trying to compete with eclipse. It's mostly a single file text editor with a lot of convenient features for people who know the keystrokes for them.

It doesn't do live compile error checking, which is usually something I consider annoying when working in any language other than java or the .net families. Besides, it'll often throw up errors that don't quite match up with the messages produced during compile time.

As far as what I've been using recently, I've been using Visual Studio 2013 pro, cause Microsoft gave it to me for free, and Clion for my linux laptop. It took me a bit to warm up to Visual Studio, but recently I've found myself enjoying using it more and more.

As far as ide features go, Visual Studio and Clion(or any of the other Jetbrains ides) are excellent at autocomplete, navigating between pieces of code, and in the jetbrains ides you can press shift-F6(I think) to rename any token. Visual Studio doesn't have that for C++, but most c++ ides don't have that kind of refactoring support.

I just wish that eclipse had a real installer for windows, one that configured it with any one of the three or four JDKs I have on my windows machine at any one time.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:30 pm »

I just wish that eclipse had a real installer for windows, one that configured it with any one of the three or four JDKs I have on my windows machine at any one time.
Just right-click "JRE System Library" in your project, select "Properties", and choose the JRE you want to use.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8765 on: January 12, 2016, 03:02:20 pm »

5) Alt+Shift+R to rename a thing, renaming that thing everywhere in all your code.

I vote IntelliJ over Eclipse when possible.

It's by the same people who do Resharper (for C#), is used as the base for Android Studio now (over Eclipse), and it takes this up to eleven. Pretty much all of the refactorings in this list are do-able via a key combo: http://refactoring.com/catalog/.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: January 12, 2016, 07:02:13 pm »

I vote IntelliJ over Eclipse when possible.

It's by the same people who do Resharper (for C#), is used as the base for Android Studio now (over Eclipse), and it takes this up to eleven. Pretty much all of the refactorings in this list are do-able via a key combo: http://refactoring.com/catalog/.

It also happens to be the Jetbrains people I was talking about. They're great! They'll also give you a fantastic discount if you're a student.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: January 13, 2016, 09:59:31 am »

Yep, makefiles are a beautiful thing even for single source files.

Well, they're actually hideous and usually horrifically complicated, and the reason you even need it feels antiquated.

But they do make programming in C or similar languages kind of manageable.

Funnily enough, I heard one of the professors at the university here say that we needed to start spending like a month teaching them because nobody knows how to make them anymore.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8768 on: January 13, 2016, 10:27:08 am »

We should make a new system that's better than makefiles and aims to be an industry-wide standard :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: January 13, 2016, 10:28:11 am »

How about.... and IDE?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: January 13, 2016, 11:21:25 am »

What wrong with makefiles? I mean I can't exactly make them without having a documentation page up, but that's the same with 90% of the rest of the programming I do.
Worst comes to worse you just put down a single line of code so you don't have to press up twenty times every few minutes.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: January 13, 2016, 02:08:27 pm »

Cmake is a little bit simpler. Sadly, I've never found something that does the job any more simply than CMake.

The documentation is annoying, it's there, it isn't badly written, but it lacks something like a useful table of contents.

That being said, it does generate visual studio files for when I compile for windows, and a working linux makefile.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: January 13, 2016, 04:08:37 pm »

How about.... and IDE?
That's bad for everyone who doesn't use the same IDE or no IDE at all. Also the IDE needs to use some system like that under the hood, too, and someone needs to understand it either way.
Taste my Paci-Fist

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8773 on: January 13, 2016, 04:31:03 pm »

Really depends on the IDE. Some IDEs understand and work with the makefiles for that system. Most Java IDEs understand Ant and Maven, for example. Visual Studio uses sln files, which for .NET are the make system, and for web-stuff they've rolled in package.json (node) and bower.json (bower) support. You may have to do a little extra set-up to get it working, but you can usually make it work (And it's work you'll need to do anyway for any build automation system i.e Travis-CI).

C++ is a bit tricker. I know CLion uses CMake build scripts as it's project files, Visual Studio uses sln (Which are also the build scripts for VC++ anyway, which CMake outputs). Would be nice if all C++ IDEs talked CMake themselves. You can create custom blank projects in Visual Studio, crack open notepad++ and make the xml for the csproj files compile the CMake files how you want. Still means you have to manually juggle the CMake files though.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:33:38 pm by MorleyDev »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8774 on: January 13, 2016, 04:59:18 pm »

We should make a new system that's better than makefiles and aims to be an industry-wide standard :v
Spoiler: Obligatory xkcd (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 796