Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886797 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #7320 on: May 05, 2015, 05:35:23 pm »

Sigh java standard realm authentication sucks so badly

The premise is sound, let the container integrate as it likes so it is easy to scale, switch, upgrade without messing with the app.

Except they totally forgot you might want to add user, so that part still needs to be built atop side and not container side and be tied with whatever kind of realm you're using, there is no standard to share custom realms across containers so portability only works for the simplest of configurations and most containers are retarded when it comes to high availability of a realm.

But the most frustrating part of the spec is that login assume you have an user and a password and oauth / saml be damned

Usually one can just skip all the pain and just roll an authentication filter, except all the fecking enterprise platform use the blasted thing and to provide third party integration for sso you need to jump so many hops backward I can as well code cartwheeling

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: May 07, 2015, 08:55:07 pm »

You know what? Ignore this post. I was asking the resident programmers' opinions on a job posting, but I just received my offer letter. Decrease in pay + NDA + noncompete? No thanks.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:06:02 pm by Mephisto »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7322 on: May 07, 2015, 09:19:31 pm »

I have no idea how people make fancy graphical games or simulation renderings :/ Graphics are just so daunting.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: May 07, 2015, 09:43:04 pm »

I have no idea how people make fancy graphical games or simulation renderings :/ Graphics are just so daunting.

the trick is to learn how to half-ass first, then go in-depth later

like look at the graphic at the bottom here I made:

https://putnam3145.github.io/helper

It's a friggin rectangle. I started with rendering just the rectangle using two lines and two bezier curves. Once I figured that out, I started manipulating that to see what I was doing weirdly.  Once I fixed that, I made some functions to manipulate the rectangle based on forces, by making the edges of the bezier curves expand/contract based on strain percentages and the middles of the curve contract/expand based on strain percentage multiplied by poisson ratio. That all is the actual simulation business, and rendering it is way simpler than the description implies.

So my trick is: do something really friggin simple at first, then increment.

EDIT: changed "the trick" to "my trick" because obviously my way of learning is not the only or even necessarily the best one
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:05:05 am by Putnam »

Shobak

• Bay Watcher
  • May be slightly unhinged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: May 08, 2015, 05:32:46 am »

I'm currently messing around with Flask. I really, really like Python. Even if lately (since a few years ago) my concentration is shot. Can't I just set up a coffee drip and just stop sleeping, you think? Even a silly CRUD seems like an unsormountable problem.

But! I set up a VPS! I don't even want to know what I want to do with it, but it's there.

I'll probably start writing a MUD. Or a text game from scratch. Why? See under my username.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: May 09, 2015, 12:58:32 am »

So I tried to get Unicurses to work under Windows 8, and it kept spitting out an error about not being able to find pdcurses.dll, even though I placed the DLL in Lib/site-packages exactly as per the directions. But when I move Unicurses and the DLL to my Documents folder where the main script is... it works perfectly. Is there some sort of file permission issue I'm not understanding here?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7326 on: May 09, 2015, 01:06:42 am »

It's probably weirdness with Windows' path variable. Not sure how to address it in this case though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: May 09, 2015, 07:01:02 am »

If a dll is in the compilers lib path then it might only work when you're running your exe from within the compiler's IDE in debug mode.

When you run your release build by itself by opening the exe inside a folder, it won't know to look in the compilers lib path. The information about the compiler's lib path is not built into exes that you make, because it's meant to be your distributable build.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 07:03:33 am by Reelya »

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #7328 on: May 09, 2015, 09:11:06 am »

Ok, so I've downloaded Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and I'm doing something in C#.

Coming from Pascal and the Lazarus IDE, I'm used to having a Component hierarchy viewer like this:

Is there something similar in Visual Studio? It's a bit confusing for me not having one.

No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: May 09, 2015, 09:14:28 am »

Yeah, once you start working with Windows gui stuff, it's there.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #7330 on: May 09, 2015, 09:22:10 am »

I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Ok, this is slightly annoying because I've got one panel on top of another panel and now I can't get it to show.

EDIT 2: Finally! I've found it! Bloody hell that was hard to find.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:04:53 am by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: May 09, 2015, 11:57:18 pm »

I'm currently messing around with Flask. I really, really like Python. Even if lately (since a few years ago) my concentration is shot. Can't I just set up a coffee drip and just stop sleeping, you think? Even a silly CRUD seems like an unsormountable problem.

But! I set up a VPS! I don't even want to know what I want to do with it, but it's there.

I'll probably start writing a MUD. Or a text game from scratch. Why? See under my username.

Flask in my experience is pretty cool once you get the hang of it, but that did take me a while, especially since I had no prior Python experience.  Something that might help you is the tutorialesque program called Flasky that I found.  It sets up a lot of the basics of creating a site, from user handling, registration, database integration, views, REST API and so on.  While it does mean you don't learn how to do those things yourself, it could be a useful starting point or something to reference if you can't figure things out.

It's also interesting that you mentioned writing a MUD in Python.  I started doing the same thing a few months ago, but I got sidetracked with aspirations of doing too much world simulation for it and wrote stuff that was just too slow to do in Python.  If you're not doing something crazy like that then Python is probably a really good choice.  I still sometimes wonder whether me trying to integrate the natural language processing library to parse user commands was wise... I'm guessing it's both overkill and probably counterproductive in the end.

Anyway, my own recent experiences with libraries for JavaScript has been mixed so far.  We've recently been trying to phase out our in house built templating and data integration library with AngularJS, which for the most part has been surprisingly easy.  AngularJS also has some nice features our library didn't, such as seamless updating and two way data binding.

That said... working with it has been frustrating at times.  It seems that about 95% of the time that I add a new directive or controller, I've missed something somewhere and just get a lot of red error text in Chrome's console about missing dependencies.  My fault though, so I can live with it.

The thing that really annoys me is how hard it is to understand the way scopes inherit in AngularJS.  I'm sure it's well documented somewhere, but it appears that adding isolate scopes anywhere in the scope tree causes things to get just completely out of whack.  Things that I'd say should very clearly be a child of the isolate scope instead end up being its sibling somehow.  I thought isolate scopes started a new inheritance chain and directives inside of them would be its children, but apparently not.

Oh well, we're managing so far.  I'm sure it'll all be much better in the end.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: May 10, 2015, 03:24:30 am »

My two cents: stay away from angular, moustache + backbone is much more reasonable.

Mostly because as you get into anything complex debugging angular is impossible and extending it is a nightmare

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: May 10, 2015, 09:22:14 am »

I've done some work with Angular, and its a great framework for a heavy client side app. That said, its cumbersome. Lots of features, poor documentation, and some fairly unintuitive things. Durandal generally performs the same functions as Angular in a cleaner way, in my opinion. If you need the functionality of Angular, but want to stay away, Durandal is a good choice. Though you can probably get most of the functionality you need with a lighter framework like backbone.

There is also Aurelia, but its definitely not production ready. Still, it looks loads better than Angular 2.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7334 on: May 11, 2015, 11:23:00 am »

Compiling things from source is soo, soooo frustrating. I spent a pot of hours today trying to get Virtualbox to work, but nope! Annoyingly cross-platform plus refusing to mirror any required libraries means you have to scour the net, searching for the dependancies and hoping they are right. You also have to fiddle with file formats to fit how the custom-built make system (called k-make) expects.

All of this just because the lazy developers of VBox didn't bother to fix this bug. It's a single line bug fix (comment 15). Seriously :|

Also, I gave up so it was all for naught and I still have to deal with crashes if I turn 3D acceleration on, or deal with 50% cpu usage if it's off.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 796