Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 887387 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #5580 on: March 16, 2014, 07:31:20 am »

There are some mechanics in place, but they don't kill plants fast enough ...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: March 16, 2014, 08:06:36 am »

How stable is the algorithm? Does it converge?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5582 on: March 16, 2014, 08:13:24 am »

I have no idea.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: March 16, 2014, 09:07:30 am »

What's the model?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: March 16, 2014, 02:52:49 pm »

Doesn't a population curve look like a logarithmic curve?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: March 16, 2014, 02:55:47 pm »

Only when it's well below the carrying capacity of the ecosystem.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5586 on: March 16, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »

Doesn't a population curve look like a logarithmic curve?

Logistic, not logarithmic :P

And yes.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5587 on: March 16, 2014, 09:19:06 pm »

Bleh, I wrote a long reply but the site refused to let me post.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: March 17, 2014, 02:13:51 am »

I suck at programming, but I took a couple population genetic and general simulation classes in university, so I may be able to help you with the biological side of things.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5589 on: March 17, 2014, 08:14:23 am »

Ok, rewriting this at my PC.

this link leads to a second-hand account of the EPIC model I implemented most of. The gist is that plants accumulate "growth degree days" according to temperature to drive their growth, and the amount of sunlight they receive dictates their biomass. Things like lack of water/nitrogen regulate how tall it grows and how much biomass is increased. There is a small deduction of biomass every day, which apparently isn't enough to make thousands of plants all getting 1 lux of sunlight on a single 1 m^2 tile die. :x

I'm going to check to see if memory might be leaking, and maybe figure out a way to reduce the seeds that are spawned, as well as remove them after some time.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: March 17, 2014, 08:42:10 am »

Well, whatever you choose as your Grim Reaper will have an enormous effect on your end result.

Perhaps correlate biomass with light needed (if light_received < biomass * constant then die), and light gets caught by the highest plants first? This will allow for higher fast growers, and still have slow growing undergrowth I think...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5591 on: March 17, 2014, 08:55:44 am »

I already have a light competition model, though I'm not 100% sure it works as intended. o.o

After a quick trial run, I think that I should first reduce the huge amount of seeds that are being produced. I estimate that there were 210000 seeds on the map after a year, with each seed having a ton of data tied to it, roughly 5 KB each. 1 gigabyte after a year! D:

gnome42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: March 17, 2014, 06:52:54 pm »

A Few Questions:
1) I am mainly a C programmer, but also know HTML/CSS. I have found myself wanting to setup a small website to help show people some of my work(sourceforge is ok but I would rather make use of my spare computers as servers). I have thought about perhaps learning PHP and perhaps Javascript to run said website. What I want to know is it relatively easy to learn them (especially PHP) given that I have practiced C for a few years and have a qualification in HTML/CSS (mind you it was a GCSE).
2) As having programmed C for a while, I have made a number of small projects(never numbering more than half a dozen source and header files) but I would like to produce something of a larger scale. Is there any way in particular to code accommodating for larger amounts and for more complexity?
3) I am quite interested in how games like Audiosurf and Beat Hazard analyse the music to generate there levels. Are there any libraries that you are aware of that do this or theory texts I can read in order to implement one of my own?
4) I wrote this code about 6 months ago, It would be nice to get some pointers to become a better programmer and perhaps contribute to open source projects sometime (I don't think it is an atrocity, especially compared to something like the Lugaru source code).

Thank you all for the assistance.

for point 2:  Break the code out into logical units.  If it makes sense for it to be in one file, keep it there.  ( say a bunch of routines that deal with a specific file, or a bunch of routines that handle what happens to a specific structure.  Or pure support routines, that are only called by other functions in the same file. ).  Other wise the general method is to use a separate source file.  You deal with the fall out in the makefile.  Wildcard and either a creative naming system for the source, or sub directories can make 'make' a lot easier to get to cooperate without listing every single thing in the project by name.  It is easier to track what is going on through 100 different routines if they are broken out in a way that makes sense.

3).  Never heard of those.  But they sound very interesting.  If the docs for the projects do not go into detail, your best bet may be code diving.

4)  General comments on the project:
from utterbase.h:
//dont have access to sizeof at the moment 'cos no compiler, but methinks
//it is 18 bytes in size
Correct if int is four bytes(ANSI C defines it as such, but that does not always mean much ) and the compiler defaults to packing structures.( some like to promote char and short to int to make the memory access easier at the cost of using more memory. )  Never assume either without proof.  And then the compiler will change the defaults.  there are #PRAGMA complier directives that can override the default behaviour when needed.  What they are of course depends on the compiler.

base.c: ( stylistic, readablilty )
void clearmap(){//simply makes it dark
int i = 0, j = 0;
while(i < MAP_ARRAY_SIZE_X){
while(j < MAP_ARRAY_SIZE_Y){
mvaddch(j, i, ' ' );
j++;
}
j = 0;
i++;
}
}

could be done as :
void clearmap(){//simply makes it dark
int i,j;
for(i=0;i<MAP_ARRAY_SIZE_X;i++)
  for (j=0;j<MAX_ARRAY_SZIE_Y;j++)
      mvaddch(j, i, ' ' );
}

Yours is going to do the exact same thing.  Most compilers will turn both code into an identical sequence of commands.  It is more a case of readability when going back over it.  Simpler to keep track of three lines than 10.

Base.h:  More of a comment to make your life potentially easier in the long run.  With a couple of compiler flags/makefile bits of fun, you can auto-generate function prototypes.  Sometimes this is a goodthing.  sometimes the way you have it is better.  depends on the project. 

Item.c:  really personal preference on this scale/how much you expect the data set to grow, but in definitem() the nested else if() that is going could be replaced replaced by switch().  Makes it slightly easier to add new cases without ending up with your indenting somewhere East of New Brunswick when you have enough possible values.
      drawitemarray():  then final statement of itemarray =  temp; is unneeded.  since itemarray is a local, you can stomp all over it to your hearts content.  In this case, if you were worried about it ( due to using a pointer to a pointer or other such fun ), the better behaved way would be to assign temp=itemarray at the beginning, and then reference temp all over the place/modify temp as needed.  What you are doing is not wrong per se.  It just won't do anything other than change a value on the stack, right before it is popped off into nothingness when the function returns.

Main.c: some c compilers will fall over in death throws if you do things like this:

int main()
{
srand(time(NULL));
init();
printf("Works 1 \n");
int i = 0;
creature player;
player.kind = 1;//makes the player a player
defineplayer(&player);
entity **map = malloc(sizeof(entity) * MAP_ARRAY_SIZE_X);

Mainly mixing variable declarations with statements.  ( defining local vars at the beginning of a block is fine , interleaving function calls and variable declarations is going to get more than one compiler to not play nice ).

General comment on the headers.  You are trying to prevent double inclusion of the files.  This is a Good Thing.  One suggestion though is to have each header protect itself.  I.E. you protect the entire header with #ifndef X /#define X / {all your header stuff} / #endif.  That way you do not have to rely on whatever is including the header to play nice about it.  The header will protect itself from double inclusion ( unless you are intending to have an include file in a nested inclusion scheme that relies on it being different each time.  While fun to figure out, it is generally frowned on. )

In the case of many of these functions, void is acceptable as a function return type. 
An enhancement would be to have them return (int) and use that as a status code.  None of the code does sanity checking.  And this will bite you eventually.   Even if there is no case of the function failing other than a bad calling sequence, it is still a good practice to get into.
If you are referencing though a pointer? ( like redefineitem() does. )  it is always sane to make sure that  *item is not NULL. This allows you to recover from silliness, or at least crash in a way that does not trash the stack.  ( good luck debugging that one after the fact, stack corruption is one of the hardest things to track down, since by it's very nature, it tends to destroy most of the evidence )

In a simple project like this, you can get away with these assumptions. ( many of us do for one offs )  Once you start working alongside others and using each others code? 
It is worth the effort up front to make the code protected as much as possible from garbage input.  Someone will feed it garbage at some point in time.  That person could be your cube farm neighbor.  It might be you in six months.

Makefile:
You don't need to compile .h files unless you are abusing the naming convention ( You are not. )
Get ready to blow a weekend, grab your beverage of choice, and read the man page/info file on make.  It will confuse the living heck out of you to begin with, but for large projects, a properly generated makefile will save you a lot of time and effort in the long run.  Reading a few of the simpler ones for various projects can help.  Sometimes.
You could genericize all the gcc -o *.c calls.
You can dynamically build object lists for dependencies ( which is where the real power of make come from.  It will only build what it has to.  Just because you changed 1 line in 1 c file does not mandate compling all 50 files in the project, unless you really want to.  Which is what the "clean" target in the makefile is for )

gnome

gnome42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:24 pm »

I already have a light competition model, though I'm not 100% sure it works as intended. o.o

After a quick trial run, I think that I should first reduce the huge amount of seeds that are being produced. I estimate that there were 210000 seeds on the map after a year, with each seed having a ton of data tied to it, roughly 5 KB each. 1 gigabyte after a year! D:
Birds and rodents.  Not all seeds stay in the pool for possible germination.  If you don't have one, then you might need to implement a culling of the seeds to account for these factors.  Or just reduce the fecundity of the plants.  same effect over all.

From a data perspective:  any way to extract certain bits of commonality from the seed data and just reference a single copy of that?  ( basic definition of Wheat is the same, only store the local factors of each seed, reference the definition for the non-mutable points. ) if you have a memory leak, this certainly will not help, but it will allow you to to run bigger sims before you run into memory issues. ( limits tend towards 2GB/4GB/How much do you have? , depending on OS/Compiler, memory model/ system defined per process limits )  You might already be doing this.  How well this works depends on Language and Implementation of course.

What language are you working in and what data design method are you using?( if OOP, sub-classes for data/funtionality, non-OOP, lots of layered structures?)   Knowing this might let folks have a slightly better idea of typical problem areas to point fingers at.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: March 19, 2014, 01:04:29 am »

Probably a seed object only needs position, type and some encoded residual nutrient value plus accumulated resources as heat and water.

Move all plant definition stuff from seed to array of seed types and put an index in seed.

If all else fails use int instead of double or char instead of float to cut ram size in half
Look up fixed point arithmetic and will explain you how.

On a different topic.

Is anyone else working with that godot game engine?
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 796