Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886655 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #5400 on: January 26, 2014, 12:52:11 pm »

Lol, I considered writing a script to make a card game  by reading a file with strings and file names, because Perl has a module to manipulate images and doing it that way might be easier than doing it manually in GIMP, but I didn't go through with it.

> Sprites
How about this one: http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/index.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:03:58 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: January 26, 2014, 11:59:49 pm »

That XKCD graph is precisely why I didn't try creating a spritesheet editor myself when I was still working on my last computer game.  I figured I'd spend more time trying to get it to work like I wanted than I'd save in the long run, at least at the scale that I was planning to work.

For what it's worth though, a spritesheet editor is a perfect example of where more modern languages and tools can make something like that feasible.  I'm sure something like that could be coded much more quickly in something like C# than C++, at least if you're going to just run the tool on Windows.  I'm positive languages like Python have good graphical libraries that work on multiple platforms, although I don't know first hand.

Either way, I'm sure it was a great learning experience to do that in C++.  Good job.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5402 on: January 27, 2014, 12:42:48 am »

Most my automation success has either been "create a command line tool to do it" or "automate this build/release step because it's boring". Those usually work pretty well (the latter typically just involves hammering out a python, bash or powershell script). Slapping a usable GUI and proper error handling on something is crazy-talk :)

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: January 27, 2014, 03:39:23 am »

Coincidentally, I made a spritesheet editor myself after finding nothing that suited my needs exactly, using C#. You could drag an image into it and adjust some parameters and it would play the spritesheet as an animation. It was a tremendous amount of work and I gave up on the project I was using it for shortly after.

Someone really needs to release a decent spritesheet editor. As miauw62 mentioned, if you release an editor and also a small interface library for the .sprite file format or whatever, I'm sure many people would find it useful.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: January 27, 2014, 06:12:19 am »

One quick google-fu gave me darkFunction Editor. Is there a particular reason this wouldn't work?

/NotASpriteAnimator
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: January 27, 2014, 06:37:01 am »

I just draw sprite sheets with Grafx2 and use XML to create my animations.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5406 on: January 27, 2014, 01:54:15 pm »

One quick google-fu gave me darkFunction Editor. Is there a particular reason this wouldn't work?

/NotASpriteAnimator
I knew someone would immediately find something that does what my program does but better. Going off absolutely nothing but that one screenshot, it looks pretty complex. Though if it's anything like Tiled, which can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be, it will suit my purposes perfectly.

Really, I build programs like this as a learning experience. It's never a waste if you became a better programmer in the process.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5407 on: January 28, 2014, 07:48:32 am »

What's up with the sites like skyserver.com  where are there is is a bunch of link ads?

Mainly, I was hoping I could find a fairly cheap, but shorter domain name for skyrunnerserver.no-ip.org, but... xD

Also, is GoDaddy Enom an ok place to register a domain name? I have no intention of using their web hosting, if that helps.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:16:28 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: January 28, 2014, 07:56:58 am »

Try Skyrunnersbutt.com

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5409 on: February 04, 2014, 07:34:24 am »

King James Bible of Programming.

This is just too funny ;_;

They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all brought us on our way, with wives and children, till we were out of the holes of the rocks, and into the hand of Moses, from the day the king departed until the day that it is possible to decompose a problem into pieces that are either constants or variables
Herein is our love made perfect, that we may put them to death in the flesh, this is the lazy evaluator:
(define input-prompt ";;; Query input:") (define output-prompt ";;; L-Eval value:") (define (driver-loop) (prompt-for-input input-prompt) (let ((input (read))) (let ((output (eval input the-global-environment))) (announce-output output-prompt) (user-print output))) (driver-loop))
we mentioned in section 2.3.3 the task of starting with two lists of positive integers (i,j) with i < j ordered according to the word of the LORD

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: February 04, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »

King James Bible of Programming.

This is just too funny ;_;

They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all brought us on our way, with wives and children, till we were out of the holes of the rocks, and into the hand of Moses, from the day the king departed until the day that it is possible to decompose a problem into pieces that are either constants or variables
Herein is our love made perfect, that we may put them to death in the flesh, this is the lazy evaluator:
(define input-prompt ";;; Query input:") (define output-prompt ";;; L-Eval value:") (define (driver-loop) (prompt-for-input input-prompt) (let ((input (read))) (let ((output (eval input the-global-environment))) (announce-output output-prompt) (user-print output))) (driver-loop))
we mentioned in section 2.3.3 the task of starting with two lists of positive integers (i,j) with i < j ordered according to the word of the LORD
Oh man, it's all made using a Markov chain. SO ALL OF THAT IS RANDOMLY GENERATED.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: February 05, 2014, 10:49:45 pm »

I'm irrationally proud that I configured a Linode VPS (referral, if you feel like getting one of your own: 64b94ee9274024387acc3dea6b587d0b7a652ec9), purchased a domain, and manually set up that domain as well as a subdomain. It's now running my Rails test project.

I'm not quite ready to release details, but my upcoming project will be somewhat relevant to the B12 community.

The only sad point was when I found out that I did less research than I should have while picking out a registrar. I went with 1and1, who only allow five subdomains. Per account. Not per domain; per account. Buy twenty domains from them? You better only want five subdomains to share among them. No wildcards either. Luckily www seems to be "free".

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5412 on: February 06, 2014, 04:09:36 am »

So I'm having to figure out a way of acceptance/specification testing a program that makes restful web requests and then invokes other programs.

Now, the former is pretty easy to test. Just create some mocha tests that run via node.js, and have that spin up it's own server that fakes the request/responses and invokes the client program.
There's libraries for that and it decouples the client testing from needing a real server which is always good. Then you can verify the requests were made and the behaviour was as expected.

Hooooowever, the latter is more difficult. I'm having some internal debates about how to do it. I could accept the dependencies will exist and just look for the side-effects of invocation of those programs, but that means some things are more or less impossible or incredibly difficult to test. It strongly ties the specification to those tools, which isn't nice.

So I'm thinking instead the client can take via config files the programs it needs to execute. So config can say "MAKE=make" or "MAKE=mingw32-make" and the client will invoke that program. Then, the tests can have config files that say something like "MAKE=node mockprogram.js make", and that mockprogram.js will then log the invocation, working directory and command line arguments before running a javascript function that runs the stub make implementation. Then I can inspect the log of invocations to assert that the expected invocations were made.

Does anybody know of any tools for this, or am I going to have to eventually break this code out into a library and publish it so that there are? :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:18:36 am by MorleyDev »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5413 on: February 08, 2014, 11:20:07 pm »

Say I have a .jar file downloaded from the internet (the gephi-toolkit.jar to be exact). How do I, using Eclipse, import the stuff inside the jar so I could use them? :S I have no idea what to do! And the internets aren't giving me an answer.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: February 09, 2014, 04:14:18 am »

Say I have a .jar file downloaded from the internet (the gephi-toolkit.jar to be exact). How do I, using Eclipse, import the stuff inside the jar so I could use them? :S I have no idea what to do! And the internets aren't giving me an answer.
Right-click on project -> Build Path -> Configure Build Path -> Java Build Path -> Libraries -> Add External Jars
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 796