Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 882781 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #4830 on: August 16, 2013, 09:57:25 pm »

And of course AMD's CodeXL debugger won't work for me.

Mainly, it's unable to step into kernel code, despite the fact that that's the entire point of it.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: August 16, 2013, 10:23:27 pm »

Its a list of what you should know as a CS Major, NOT as a Software Engineer. It also doesn't say you'll need it, it says you should know it (big difference, you should know lots of things you don't need to know)

The document is intended to position you to seize basically every opportunity that comes along, from my reading. Vim is a useful tool for that. Nothing on this page is mandatory to be a successful software guy, even a senior guy. Everything on this page is useful as a tool in your arsenal for getting there and will help you take advantage of opportunities along the way. Vim and Emacs are both ubiquitous across unix-based systems, and they are one of the more common bits of technology among organizations that use them - learning them is definitely a useful thing, and I've got no problem with them appearing on this list. They also encourage a mentality that is useful for Computer Scientists even if they don't end up using them in their job BECAUSE they don't just hand everything to you, but expect you to use it as the base of a tool customized to fit your needs. The document emphasizes in multiple places how important it is to do things from scratch at least once, understand how and why the pieces fit together and fit them together yourself. Something like Vim is an extension of that and useful to know. He makes it quite clear that you're learning it to familiarize yourself with the philosophy, not because of it's usefulness. Even if you don't adopt the Unix philosophy yourself, familiarity with it is extremely important if you want to keep doors open moving forward.

It's not needed and I don't think the document says otherwise. Much like learning Racket, it's about the benefits of learning the tool rather than needing to use the tool moving forward.

I really, really can't argue with you, because my english sucks. I can write a novel in my original language about how this article is wrong on many levels, but I disgress.

On a foot note, overall, it's a terrible document for anybody who is going for practitioning programming. I mean real job. If you ever is going for senior position in a software company - it's a bad reading. I mean it - it's harmful and you will be dissapointed in the end. It's good theorethically, but otherwise stupid. I dont even want to start to talk about how business needs is important in practical programming. And this is totally absent there. And I am generally adamant about how education system is bad for real job needs, but it's a whole new topic worthy.

Sorry, I was folllowing this thread from start, and I really was taken away just by this exact text. So I thought I should answer, whatever crude my answer was. And gosh, vim vs IDE is last subject which matters, please stop it, I am already bored.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:28:37 pm by gogis »
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: August 16, 2013, 10:26:54 pm »

Just about every other post, I mention my job. Sorry about that, but it's the least bad job someone like myself can have. Python and Django, what's not to love?

Anyway, I was introduced to the lovely pile of WTF that is classic ASP a few weeks ago. You see, this wasn't always a Python shop. Their old url rewriting code is in ASP.

Url rewriting. Classic ASP. You can probably see where I'm going with this.

For those that don't know, I'll clue you into my understanding of how this particular implementation works so far.

1. Navigate to url with a GUID at the end of the path
2. Server throws 404
3. index.asp catches 404 and does mangling
4. index.asp does second pass of mangling
5. index.asp redirects to the final destination
5a. If there was a file, redirect to the file
5b. If no file was found, serve some "this file was not found" text

What does this mean to the user? 404 OK, 200 Not Found.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:53 pm »

What does this mean to the user? 404 OK, 200 Not Found.

That's hilarious and terrible at the same time. I hope those are the only redefinitions.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: August 19, 2013, 03:18:34 pm »

[deleted, I'm not being constructive]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:22:38 pm by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: August 20, 2013, 05:36:53 am »

So I thought I would look at using SFML, as an alternative to SDL. Is there something I am missing about 3d vectors, or is SFML bugged?

Code: (C#) [Select]
Console.WriteLine((new Vector3f(1f, 2f, 3f) + new Vector3f(10f, 20f, 30f)));

Quote from: output
[Vector3f] X(11) Y(12) Z(33)

???

Code: (C# (from SFML source)) [Select]
public static Vector3f operator +(Vector3f v1, Vector3f v2)
{               
    return new Vector3f(v1.X + v2.X, v1.Y + v2.X, v1.Z + v2.Z);
}
??? ???
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: August 20, 2013, 05:56:49 am »

LOL.

That's a pretty bad bug.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: August 20, 2013, 06:49:49 am »

Hahaha. I've made that mistake myself countless times. Just a typical copypaste error. What version of SFML are you using?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: August 20, 2013, 07:08:30 am »

So I thought I would look at using SFML, as an alternative to SDL. Is there something I am missing about 3d vectors, or is SFML bugged?
Oh wow that is pretty bad...

SFML is fine, mostly (although I currently use it for 2D)...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: August 20, 2013, 07:35:01 am »

Its being used for isometric graphics, so 3d positions and 2d graphics.

Im using the offical .Net bindings, 2.1 64bit.

Also, why on earth is Vector3f located in the Audio namespace ???
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:18 am »

That's odd...
I only used the C++ version... Where it's properly in the sf namespace: http://sfml-dev.org/documentation/2.0/classsf_1_1Vector3.php

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #4841 on: August 20, 2013, 02:30:18 pm »

Wow, can you override that operator to fix it?
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4842 on: August 22, 2013, 02:21:10 pm »

The official bindings aren't written by the main developer of SFML, they're more "unofficial but officially endorsed" bindings...whoever did them probably put Vector3f in there because it's only used by SFML for 3d audio.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4843 on: August 22, 2013, 06:29:14 pm »

Time to try to use C# for a quick and simple simulation*!

*hopefully I'll actually finish it within a few days

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: August 22, 2013, 11:23:24 pm »

whoever did them probably put Vector3f in there because it's only used by SFML for 3d audio.

Yeah, thats why I diddn't want to fix it, incase fixing the bug broke the audio system.

I just duplicated it, fixed it, gave it a new name, and put in some explicit type conversions to Vector3f's. Its all good now. Isometric graphics are now displaying properly 8)

You eat your own head
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 796