Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 882119 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #4440 on: May 29, 2013, 03:41:39 pm »

So Japa, you trying to do a sim city like engine?
Nah, just a game where you race in real world locations.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: May 29, 2013, 03:43:58 pm »

Oooh, so that's why you were able to make a model of that weird roundabout thing in the rage thread.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: May 29, 2013, 04:30:58 pm »

That's pretty cool :)

I was going to aim for a racer as well, a stunts-clone/remake. I don't know if anyone remembers it but it was tons of fun when I was a kid. It's about time I finally finish a goddamn project.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: June 04, 2013, 04:37:04 am »

It's about time I finally finish a goddamn project.
Did anything ever happen with your cool little farming roguelike-of-the-week thingamabob you did many moons ago?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: June 04, 2013, 04:52:16 am »

Did anything ever happen with your cool little farming roguelike-of-the-week thingamabob you did many moons ago?
Oh right, forgot about that. It's still as unfinished as it ever was :) My only deliverable game in 20+ years of programming is a semi-finished 7DRL. Way to live the gamedev-dream.
Programming-at-work actually became more interesting, so when at home I'm a lot less inclined to program for myself for some reason. I'll probably do more when I'm more bored at work...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4445 on: June 04, 2013, 05:16:22 am »

Oh right, forgot about that. It's still as unfinished as it ever was :) My only deliverable game in 20+ years of programming is a semi-finished 7DRL. Way to live the gamedev-dream.
Programming-at-work actually became more interesting, so when at home I'm a lot less inclined to program for myself for some reason. I'll probably do more when I'm more bored at work...
Farming roguelike? I would like to hear more :O

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:18 am »

Farming roguelike? I would like to hear more :O
Wasn't that great. Here's a lets play and the link: www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77261.msg1977408

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: June 04, 2013, 09:02:42 am »

I coded up a new website.
http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

I know web dev stuff isn't REAL coding, but I'm proud of it.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: June 04, 2013, 12:36:27 pm »

I coded up a new website.
http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

I know web dev stuff isn't REAL coding, but I'm proud of it.

If you write stuff that specifies how something (computer/electronic device/program) should do things, and then gave that stuff to the thing doing the things, and the thing did the things you told it to, then it's real coding.

Things and stuff.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #4449 on: June 09, 2013, 12:39:37 am »

I used to hang around Bay12 a while back. 2010-2011ish I suppose.

Sheesh, that feels like forever ago now.

With many thanks due to Dwarf Fortress, I made the decision then to switch my major from history to computer science. Now I'm slithering (or trying to, at least) into the gamedev world. I joined and finished my first Ludum Dare in April, and I'm feeling good about myself. I have one more year until I get my bachelor's, and I'mma be putting my nose to the grindstone come August, both academically and through #onegameamonth.

Anyway, I've been on a DFTalk kick lately and thought I'd drop back in the forums and give a hello to all my newfound brothers and sisters in code. :D
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4450 on: June 09, 2013, 05:06:03 am »

Argh. I can't understand A*, and I really need it in my game.

What I want to do is path from one cell to another cell, but the costs for going north, south, east, and west potentially all differ.

The pseudocode on Wikipedia and on other sites confuse me as to how g, the cost from the starting point to the current cell is counted, among other things. :(

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: June 09, 2013, 05:46:06 am »

I used to hang around Bay12 a while back. 2010-2011ish I suppose.

Sheesh, that feels like forever ago now.

With many thanks due to Dwarf Fortress, I made the decision then to switch my major from history to computer science. Now I'm slithering (or trying to, at least) into the gamedev world. I joined and finished my first Ludum Dare in April, and I'm feeling good about myself. I have one more year until I get my bachelor's, and I'mma be putting my nose to the grindstone come August, both academically and through #onegameamonth.

Anyway, I've been on a DFTalk kick lately and thought I'd drop back in the forums and give a hello to all my newfound brothers and sisters in code. :D
Hi Argembarger! Care to share some games with us?

Argh. I can't understand A*, and I really need it in my game.

What I want to do is path from one cell to another cell, but the costs for going north, south, east, and west potentially all differ.

The pseudocode on Wikipedia and on other sites confuse me as to how g, the cost from the starting point to the current cell is counted, among other things. :(
Couldn't you just implement the pseudocode without having to know how it works?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4452 on: June 09, 2013, 05:50:17 am »

The pseudocode confuses me, too. :c It doesn't seem to specify how g is found...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: June 09, 2013, 06:25:35 am »

Huh? The g_score[] array is filled entirely by the algorithm, and the tentative_g_score contains possible values for that. The only unspecified things in the entire pseudocode are heuristic_cost_estimate(a, b) and dist_between(a, b). Here's how I would do these:

Code: [Select]
dist_between(Point a, Point b) { // a and b are neighbors
  // return your move cost here
}

heuristic_cost_estimate(Point a, Point b) {
  return euclidean_distance(a,b)*C; // C is a constant, and should be the most common value of dist_between(p,q)/euclidean_distance(p,q).
}

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4454 on: June 09, 2013, 11:02:44 am »

Eh, though it took 5 hours I sorted it all out with the help of smeding. :D
I'm sure it's flawed (it's also kinda slow even on 64x40 maps when I want at least an order of magnitude more than that), but it works for now, so I pushed it to the repo.
Day 2 of my personal seven day roguelike challenge and I think it's going along well. I probably am going to overshoot the seven days. Also, because it's finals I can't put in any more whole days for a long while s:

Rough list of big hefty milestones:
[v] Buy and sell. Demand and supply changes prices.
[v] pathfind
[ ] have a world map and the ability to navigate from one city to another
[ ] multiple cities with different goods
[ ] other merchants that buy and sell
   [ ] this means I need to make an AI
[ ] link all this up to libtcod for pretty graphics

Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 796