Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886030 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #3330 on: October 31, 2012, 07:12:19 am »

It's not something related to

Code: [Select]
profile.append('lol')
is it?

No that is just me trying to see if it was the 0 I first used was the problem.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: October 31, 2012, 07:16:33 am »

Sorry, what I meant (and should have stated a little clearer) was that in my Python code

profile.append('stuff')
is the way I have been doing it:

profile.append = 'stuff'
is not. I'm not experienced enough to say that your way is wrong, I just figured it was possible it is.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: October 31, 2012, 07:34:21 am »

h'okay, todays update means NPCs and dialogue.

http://www.test.glyphgryph.com/main.html

Man, though, this feels like it's taking forever. Still getting a feel for the object structure I want, keep rewriting huge blocks of code. Still, the key is to keep this robust for when I actually turn it into a game - right now, creating new tiles, creating new maps, creating new sprites, creating new npcs with new dialogue, it's all fairly trivial, and it will be nice to manage to keep it that way. The new character stuff needs to be moved out to a data file to be easily definable, but that can wait until after I finish map warps - same map and to new map.

Hopefully I'll have that done by tomorrow, having moved both that and the npc handling to a data file, and I can feel like I'm actually getting somewhere.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3333 on: October 31, 2012, 10:28:05 am »

So I have 2 weeks of holiday time saved up from enjoying my job too much to take a holiday. Tempted to make it a busman's holiday and spend it coding some personal project... That or spend them very very drunk. Maybe I can combine those ideas...

Though I have had an idea for a vampire roguelike for awhile now...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: October 31, 2012, 10:59:50 am »

I have mastered OpenGL texturing. You may fear me now.

Edit: Have I already told you how much I love Eclipse? Oh, how many potentially awesome projects have I avoided because I knew that I would quickly give up in frustration because of all the files that I would have to create, link, switch between and debug, which would eventually lead to me forgetting what I actually wanted to do whenever I needed to find a specific place in another file. Automatic code completion, automatic code generation, advanced syntax correction, code hopping, refactoring, Javadoc tooltips and the debug environment have changed my life for the better. Also, Java is my new favorite programming language.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:48:55 am by MagmaMcFry »

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: October 31, 2012, 11:43:25 am »

AAAAHHH!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! HE'S GOT OPENGL TEXTURING!!!
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: October 31, 2012, 12:04:54 pm »

AAAAHHH!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! HE'S GOT OPENGL TEXTURING!!!
IN JAVA!!! RUN!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: October 31, 2012, 12:20:13 pm »

We've lost him. There's nothing left to save. We must flee! Leave him to the ravages of Java, for he is already dead.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3338 on: October 31, 2012, 12:57:51 pm »

Edit: Have I already told you how much I love Eclipse? Oh, how many potentially awesome projects have I avoided because I knew that I would quickly give up in frustration because of all the files that I would have to create, link, switch between and debug, which would eventually lead to me forgetting what I actually wanted to do whenever I needed to find a specific place in another file. Automatic code completion, automatic code generation, advanced syntax correction, code hopping, refactoring, Javadoc tooltips and the debug environment have changed my life for the better. Also, Java is my new favorite programming language.

Welcome to the dark side.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: October 31, 2012, 02:48:56 pm »

The best we can do now is contain the disease.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: October 31, 2012, 03:25:08 pm »

Sorry, what I meant (and should have stated a little clearer) was that in my Python code

profile.append('stuff')
is the way I have been doing it:

profile.append = 'stuff'
is not. I'm not experienced enough to say that your way is wrong, I just figured it was possible it is.
You're obviously right. I'm not even sure why I did it that way, as I've used list.append(x) before.
I really should doing these stupid stuff >.>

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: October 31, 2012, 04:24:14 pm »

Huzzah! I now know how to build and execute programs in the command prompt. I can certainly see how (and why) IDEs speed up the process though.

Hmm, it seems that compiling and running is supposed to be possible via Notepad++ as well? I tried executing the .exe with it and it crashed. What am I doing wrong here?

EDIT: as the window currently being in my face tells me, it failed to start because of some missing file named libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:26:27 pm by Kirbypowered »
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: October 31, 2012, 04:28:19 pm »

Next you should discover the joy of makefiles, so that you don't have to keep track of all that BS but don't have to use an IDE. :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: November 01, 2012, 12:38:01 am »

Got a particularly nice thing from my erosion simulation; it seems to look better now that the soil isn't neon-green.
The final render image from my photon mapping assignment. Diffuse inter-reflections, ect. All lighting in the scene is being handled by the photon mapping, with a rectangular area-light near the top of the box. If I added more photons and reduced the photon search radius, it would probably render a bit more quickly. That 256x256 image took a little over 4 hours to render despite utilizing all 8 of the 3.9Ghz processors to nearly 100% at all times. Would be much faster if I optimized the KD-tree, shrank the photon search radius and/or put it on the GPU.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3344 on: November 01, 2012, 09:09:46 am »

That image is really underwhelming for all that processing time xD

Also, erosion simulations are always awesome. Your videos were, too.

I'm feeling sad because after an hour of coding, I felt that my code was slowly growing more and more convoluted . For example, I was adding a "map" class I made in a sandbox into my main program, and because of weird bugs and multi-file madness, I ended up adding an abstract class that only exists to do one function, making a slew of accessing classes that are used once and never used again ...

Dx
The above bugs might have influenced my happiness, and thus my perceived code convolutency*.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 796