Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 888008 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #2610 on: June 25, 2012, 05:51:51 pm »

Perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing more to remove. Ergo, Brainfuck is perfect.

This post is perfect.
Nope.
Pffft.. BeFunge using the BeQunge interpretter is best. There is no better way to look like a movie-hacker. http://www.purplehatstands.com/bequnge/screenshots.php
It's a character manipulation based language in which 'threads' are control points which move through the program in n-dimensional space. You literally write the code in n-dimensional space; with the Befunge language specifying at least 3 dimensions, and Bequnge allowing for up to 105 dimensional programming. Yeah. "Oh, hey, here's your program in 3 dimensional space!" *hits a key* "Oh hey, that 3 dimensional space is embedded in another 3 dimensional space which contains and infinite grid of similar 3-dimensional spaces spreading to infinity" *hits key again* "Oh hey, that 6 dimensional space is embedded in another 3 dimensional grid of 6 dimensional spaces stretching to infinity!" *continues hitting key several more times until at the top level, where you end up with 105 dimensional code*
The code itself is pretty cool to watch execute; the colorful control points move through the program text, altering it while changing direction upon hitting certain direction-changing symbols (which can send the control point in any one of 210 directions in your 105 dimensional space). The control points have a stack-based memory, with characters for creating new threads and exit points for killing off old ones in a shower of particles. Like I said; movie-hacker stuff. It also has file-IO, so it can be used for semi-practical purposes. Granted, it's not much more useful than brainfuck, but damn is it pretty.

And how could anyone say no to a language which wikipedia says:
It has been described as "a cross between Forth and Lemmings."
Language specs here: http://quadium.net/funge/spec98.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:01:06 pm by alway »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: June 25, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »

Going esoteric now, are we? I know this site by heart.

Also, this.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #2612 on: June 25, 2012, 07:00:42 pm »

Oh, yeah - that site is great.

My personal favorite is Shakespeare. Here's Hello World.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2613 on: June 25, 2012, 07:18:36 pm »

Fractal generators are awesome~

Now only if I could use it somewhere.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: June 25, 2012, 08:56:04 pm »

Well, take your pick: http://vterrain.org/
The Rendering subsections have some pretty good stuff in there ranging from really nice water/erosion simulations to cloud rendering.

*Calls over the local Thread Waiter* Oy! You there! Put that link in the OP, it will help anyone doing terrain related stuff.

Though on a side note, I've also found wikipedia surprisingly useful in regards to physical simulation. Random tidbits like "air cools at about 6.5 degrees celsius per 1000 meters of altitude" and "air can hold approximately half as much water when cooled by 10 degrees celsius" can be easily combined for simulations approximating the effects of things like rain shadows.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: June 25, 2012, 09:31:11 pm »

Well, take your pick: http://vterrain.org/
The Rendering subsections have some pretty good stuff in there ranging from really nice water/erosion simulations to cloud rendering.

*Calls over the local Thread Waiter* Oy! You there! Put that link in the OP, it will help anyone doing terrain related stuff.

Though on a side note, I've also found wikipedia surprisingly useful in regards to physical simulation. Random tidbits like "air cools at about 6.5 degrees celsius per 1000 meters of altitude" and "air can hold approximately half as much water when cooled by 10 degrees celsius" can be easily combined for simulations approximating the effects of things like rain shadows.

Oy! You there! Calm yourself, before you get a forkbomb down your throat!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2616 on: June 28, 2012, 03:44:44 pm »

Attention Visual Studio compiler:
When an included header has a #error, do not simply show that error with no indication where it was included from except the cpp file being compiled. BECAUSE NONE OF MY CODE **** INCLUDES THAT HEADER! IT'S EITHER BOOST INCLUDING THIS HEADER OR ONE OF YOUR STL FILES! So please, please, FOR **** SAKE ACTUALLY CONTAIN A LINE, A SINGLE LINE OF DECENT CODING THAT ALLOWS YOU TO FUNCTION AS A COMPILER INSTEAD OF AN OVERPRICED MONKEY**** TEXT EDITOR YOU RETARDED BLIND ********************* TREE **************GIRAFFE ************** GROWTH OF *************** HOPE SOMEBODY ********* WITH A SPATULA!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2617 on: June 28, 2012, 03:51:33 pm »

I've been having similar problems with visual studio attempting to do stuff automagically and screwing it up. I am quickly loosing the respect I once had for it now that I see how screwed up it gets. At least with eclipse, it screws up by 3rd party code, and can always be closed and restarted. Not always the case with visual studio.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2618 on: June 28, 2012, 04:05:45 pm »

Like every attempt of mine to use Visual Studio with any language but C#, I have gotten angry and walked away. Oh gcc, at least you still love me...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:07:30 pm by MorleyDev »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: June 28, 2012, 04:06:47 pm »

The important question here is, why are you attempting to use Visual Studio with languages other than C#?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:14 pm »

AN OVERPRICED MONKEY**** TEXT EDITOR YOU RETARDED BLIND ********************* TREE **************GIRAFFE ************** GROWTH OF *************** HOPE SOMEBODY ********* WITH A SPATULA!
That should be added to the Jargon File.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2621 on: June 28, 2012, 04:13:57 pm »

The important question here is, why are you attempting to use Visual Studio with languages other than C#?

Ironically, I was trying to port some C++ code *to* C# going through CLI (From what I know of C#, coding it in C# would either be a pain or tie performance directly to the rate at which a garbage collector calls finalise. Neither are desirable). I drag boost's versions into the std when thread/mutex/condition_variable aren't available (like with Mingw and gcc 4.7), but it seems the CLI doesn't like boost either :(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:17:52 pm by MorleyDev »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: June 28, 2012, 04:31:18 pm »

I use VS for C++ exclusively and rarely feel any inkling of anger towards it. At least not towards the compiler and linker. The project files and manifests are a bit of a pain sometimes, and the autoindent in 2010 changed from 2008 for no reason at all.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2623 on: June 28, 2012, 08:10:33 pm »

I wish it was easier to add libraries in all compilers, not just VC++.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: June 28, 2012, 08:36:41 pm »

I use VS for C++ exclusively and rarely feel any inkling of anger towards it. At least not towards the compiler and linker. The project files and manifests are a bit of a pain sometimes, and the autoindent in 2010 changed from 2008 for no reason at all.

Sounds about like my experience.  Although I haven't used anything past 2005, so maybe it got strange in a newer version.

Lately I do a lot more development on Linux, but I miss VS.  GDB and GCC work great and all, but setting them up to work with the fluidity of VS is something I haven't really figured out yet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:41:02 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 796