Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 888203 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #2460 on: May 28, 2012, 08:20:49 pm »

I wish you luck on your endeavor Mego! I have no idea how to go about doing something like that, though I do have some ideas that could possibly be implemented. Just that I also have no clue as to if they are possible, or how to go about writing them up in a concise way :{(> (sad mustache guy w/ goatee)
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: May 28, 2012, 08:55:17 pm »

I'll be sure to share if I ever finish it!

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2462 on: May 28, 2012, 09:02:23 pm »

Awesomes! Now to go work on some stuff that I accidentally put off doing yesterday with regards to a project I am working on. That means I get to play with Unity, which might be fun as long as I don't break anything >.> heh
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2463 on: May 28, 2012, 09:15:14 pm »

In other news, I've looked at a C# tutorial, studied the Hello World program, and was like "No, I'm too lazy to learn this D: Why are there so many dots and stuff!" and closed it.

Sorry, Galen. T_T
Since there's like only a week of school left, I don't think I'll be able to use my study hall and really concentrate on C# either. >.>

If you ever find a handy way to conver C++ to C#, I'll be glad to help, but that ain't happening Dx

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 28, 2012, 09:16:40 pm »

Does anyone here have experience working with Gamemaker, keeping in mind that it seems to be mostly C-based?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2465 on: May 28, 2012, 09:20:31 pm »

Skyrunner: I can convert C++ to C# just fine if I need to. Sometimes I make prototype things in C++ / Java and convert over to C# when I get them working how I want since I am more comfortable in both of those languages still. I don't know of any C++ -> C# automatic converters though, might be one a google-search away though so off I go!!!

EDIT!!!

Huzzah, found one! Seems pretty decent, though my internet connection is too sucky to download the demo in a reasonable amount of time. Here's the link: C++ to C# Converter

Also, Skyrunner, join us in the IRC channel?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:36:43 pm by GalenEvil »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2466 on: May 28, 2012, 09:52:51 pm »

Whoa, with a $139 price tag I don't think I'd be buying that soon D:

As for IRC, it's bedtime here now. Sorry! D:

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2467 on: May 28, 2012, 10:06:10 pm »

Well there is a demo version that can convert quite a bit. Not sure if the demo conversion values are cumulative or at-a-time values. If they are cumulative that would suck. Well, I can always convert the code myself; it would get me some extra experience in both C++ and C# :D

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: May 28, 2012, 10:52:58 pm »

Word of warning, transcribing code is never easy if it's anything beyond a basic word parser. Take it from someone who transcribed an entire C++ project into Java.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2469 on: May 28, 2012, 11:19:39 pm »

Well, when I do code transcription what I usually do is make a logic tree with my pad of paper and some index cards and then solve each problem as I get to it. Usually keeps it looking nice with the same functionality. I try not to do line-by-line transcriptions of code. I will use the same code over again if it is well made and can convert easily though. C++ -> Java? That sounds painful. What was the goal of the project that you were transcribing?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: May 28, 2012, 11:37:15 pm »

It was an engine for a game I'm somewhat developing in my free time. Something was going wrong, causing pointers passed to a certain function to become NULL inside the function, so I re-wrote it in Java.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2471 on: May 29, 2012, 04:59:16 am »

o_o

That's a bit... erm, inefficient? Did you find out what was going wrong?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: May 29, 2012, 12:19:59 pm »

Nope. I have absolutely no clue how a pointer goes from non-NULL to NULL, just from being passed to a function. After the function call, it returned to its normal, non-NULL value.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: May 29, 2012, 01:00:44 pm »

Even though Java is a good way to avoid many c++ specific mistakes, I am still curious as to what went wrong.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2474 on: May 29, 2012, 01:46:00 pm »

Even though Java is a good way to avoid many c++ specific mistakes, I am still curious as to what went wrong.
Me too. Not to mention the fact that the two are very different compared to, say, C++ vs C(#).

I prototyped a program to convert a base 10 number to a base n number, n is anywhere between 2 and 36. I also thought of the way to make it work with decimals (so, say, 16.0625 in decimals is 10.1 in base 16). The reverse has to be made now, and I think it's going to be less elegant. O_o

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 796