Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 886439 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #1065 on: January 31, 2012, 12:42:10 am »

Care to share? We can probably help you chop it into manageable pieces, if your prof won't get mad about you seeking help outside your class.
There are profs like that? How asinine.

Edit: Incoming terribad pun. So bad, I'm spoilering it.

Spoiler: I warned you. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:50:51 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:58 am »

this.status = new FacePalm(MaximumZero.Pun);

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 31, 2012, 12:54:14 am »

Care to share? We can probably help you chop it into manageable pieces, if your prof won't get mad about you seeking help outside your class.
RIT's policy is touching others' code counts as cheating. Since you can literally copy and paste the solution to most programming problems from the web, if you do get caught, it's usually at least an automatic failure of the class, and usually much, much worse. There's one hilarious story of a student years ago who copied and pasted his entire project and then cited the source he got it from. Technically it wasn't academic dishonesty, as his citation essentially stated he had cheated, and so instead of reporting him to the dean for cheating, the professor decided to make sure the guy would be forced to drop the class and retake it. The professor gave him a grade on the project which was such a massive negative number it managed to cause a buffer overflow in the grading database, corrupting the grading database for his entire class. :D

Not to mention, by the sounds of it Vector is having little to no issues with getting that homework done.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:55:59 am by alway »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 31, 2012, 12:55:36 am »

RIT's policy is touching others' code counts as cheating. Since you can literally copy and paste the solution to most programming problems from the web, if you do get caught, it's usually at least an automatic failure of the class. There's one hilarious story of a student years ago who copied and pasted his entire project and then cited the source he got it from. Technically it wasn't academic dishonesty, as his citation essentially stated he had cheated, and so instead of reporting him to the dean for cheating, the professor decided to make sure the guy would be forced to drop the class and retake it. The professor gave him a grade on the project which was such a massive negative number it managed to cause a buffer overflow in the grading database, corrupting the grade database for his entire class. :D

Not to mention, by the sounds of it Vector is having little to no issues with getting that homework done.

Okay, I can see where that's coming from, but damn.

this.status = new FacePalm(MaximumZero.Pun);
^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:00 am »

What is the best networking api for c++? And why?
I'm thinking raknet
I'm guessing no one here knows anything about networking api's ?
later this week I'm going to finish my 2d game, then I'm going to finish my pure c++ studies (will take a while), and then I want to learn a networking api, I know thats not going to be for a while, but I was hoping to maybe get an opinion about a few of them before I pick which one I'm going to stick with, instead of just randomly choosing one.  Raknet seems to be the most professional, and it's free if your project has a budget under $100,000. 
does anyone have any sort of input that could help me decide?
the choices I've come across so far are:
Boost Library
Poco Library
Ace Library
Raknet
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 31, 2012, 01:00:11 am »

The professor gave him a grade on the project which was such a massive negative number it managed to cause a buffer overflow in the grading database, corrupting the grading database for his entire class. :D
It was at this point I started to wonder how honest you were being.
Also, what a lame database! Tempted to give a lesson or two on SQL now...

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1071 on: January 31, 2012, 01:04:54 am »

There is a difference between policy and 'policy'. Whilst it technically has to be all your own work, all universities I know of aren't going to smack you down if you get outside advice or opinions so long as you understand the advice and don't just "copy and paste" their implementation. Write it yourself so it fits with the rest of the code etc. Just treat all code shown to you by others as pseudocode to demonstrate the concept.

As for network API, I'd probably go boost just 'cause it's friggin' boost, it is practically an official extension to the standard library for C++ in it's own right. If ever networking made it into STL odds are good it'd look something like how boost implements it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:08:23 am by MorleyDev »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 31, 2012, 01:11:54 am »

The professor gave him a grade on the project which was such a massive negative number it managed to cause a buffer overflow in the grading database, corrupting the grading database for his entire class. :D
It was at this point I started to wonder how honest you were being.
Also, what a lame database! Tempted to give a lesson or two on SQL now...
Nah, perfectly honest. And yeah, that particular system into which the database is tied is terrible.

And yeah, for networking, I don't know much about it myself, but Boost would be a good bet. Boost is nearly standard anyway at this point, with several pieces of it being pretty much taken from Boost and inserted directly into C++11.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:15:00 am by alway »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 31, 2012, 01:14:59 am »

That's just...wow.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 31, 2012, 01:20:44 am »

Nah, perfectly honest. And yeah, that particular system into which the database is tied is terrible.
BAHAHAH that is amazing! Legacy systems are fun when nobody expects you to fix them...

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 31, 2012, 02:34:38 am »

BAHAHAH that is amazing! Legacy systems are fun when nobody expects you to fix them...

SQL is easy.  Unfortunately, not everything that the DBMS's use is standardized, so a lot of things are DBMS specific.

And that is a terrible database...just can it and install MySQL.  It's free and works.  Pay for an Oracle DBMS if you really need it.  Wow...I'm impressed.  And yeah, legacy systems are fun. ;)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 31, 2012, 03:10:44 am »

Yeah, can't post it and ask for help, not least because I've gotter git er done alone so's I can pass thur tests.

What it does is implement a computer version of the dice game "pig."  Pig is a pretty sucky game.  Still, it's cool that we get to make cheap and terrible games right off the bat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 31, 2012, 03:20:48 am »

Ah, so you will have used all three basic control structures.
Understandable that you can't get direct help, but if you ever want a general run over of how something works, I've done some python in the past. Not my weapon of choice, but still...

Been meaning to make a libtcod tutorial sometime as well.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 31, 2012, 03:29:10 am »

Well, yeah.  The thing is, I've already programmed a 1500-line game before with hardly any documentation for another class (because I was the one programming it >_____>), with help from a professor in places we students didn't get to see (thus not adding to the line count).  It won a prize.  So, the thing is, I do occasionally feel pretty good at this... just... not right now =/  There's plenty of people in the class who already took extensive AP compsci and did lots of coding on their own, so the forums set up for the course alternate between ridiculous noobish questions and expert-types stroking their e-peens.

Oh well?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 31, 2012, 03:36:49 am »

Rather impressive!
So I'm guessing you already have the basics of a procedural program down, do you use objects at all?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 796