Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Devlog: Random metals  (Read 2879 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Devlog: Random metals
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:39:03 pm »

So it won't be coming in this upcoming version but Toady has made the framework for randomly generated metals. We're going to need some reliable way to figure out the combat specs of random weapons-grade metals that any fort can get going after establishing basic necessities. I can also see a new category of deaths from goblins wielding unknown metal weapons that happen to have been generated as stronger than steel.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Devlog: Random metals
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:46:35 pm »

Expectations: Dwarven drop rooms to and copper-spear danger rooms to test the strengths of the different metals as armor.  Weapon traps with one weapon each to test the killing speed of any given material as a weapon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:58:29 pm »

Source?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:03:23 pm »

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:40:29 pm »

I read that as being that occassionally we'd get metals that wouldn't normally appear in that area, probably in smaller quantities than normal.

However, if we're gonna eventually get randomly created metals then my excitement levels have just reached a possibly dangerous threshold  :D

also, slightly off-topic, whatever the story with metals is, those mists sound very interesting and FUN  :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:42:27 pm by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:46:14 pm »

I can't wait for armor crafted entirely of Dwarfanium and Vomitite

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:56:37 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
lol.

Despite your link, it turns out that since I had already viewed that page before Toady made that post, I couldn't see it until I pressed F5 to refresh that page. Darn browser cache.

... We're going to need some reliable way to figure out the combat specs of random weapons-grade metals that any fort can get going after establishing basic necessities ...

Make an upright spear out of the random metal, and drop useless migrants (dressed in various types of armor) to see if it can penetrate the armor or just causes blunt damage.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 11:57:04 pm »

Random metals? I expect goblins will come equpt with metal with a fix'd temp of over 10000, causing them to burst into flames.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:00:24 am »

Random metals sound good, until you try to make alloys. There won't be any way of knowing what metals react with what, or if they'd even be able to. Then the alloys themselves would need random attributes that might make no sense. Sounds like a headache to me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 12:01:43 am »

Random metals sound good, until you try to make alloys. There won't be any way of knowing what metals react with what, or if they'd even be able to. Then the alloys themselves would need random attributes that might make no sense. Sounds like a headache to me.

Sounds like Dwarf Fortress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 12:02:23 am »

Random alloys would work randomly.  If your metals are fake, the alloys can be fake as well.  Wanna mix cobalt and mythril?  Well, just say that they chemically interact well and it's possible!  Since there's no actual science behind it, anything goes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 12:07:21 am »

I smell a metal cookbook growing.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 12:07:30 am »

I just hope the first artifact warhammer that gets made in my fortress from random metal doesn't turn out to have roughly the same characteristics as cheese.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:42 am »

I just hope the first artifact warhammer that gets made in my fortress from random metal doesn't turn out to have roughly the same characteristics as cheese.  :P

I hope for an artifact warhammer made of dwarven cheese.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 12:09:53 am »

I hope for an artifact warhammer made of dwarven cheese.

Possible in 40d
Pages: [1] 2 3 4