Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Puzzled about boxes  (Read 1365 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Puzzled about boxes
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:20:20 pm »

The Mayor of Whiteletter, Dumed Tangathrigòth, is normally a good and hard-working guy, but he has a thing for puzzleboxes.

Twice in his decade in office he has asked for puzzleboxes. Twice dwarves have died of dehydration in prison (I have a booze stockpile in reach of the chain, dunno what's going on there). I have made glass toys, wood toys, rock toys, metal toys. Nothing produces puzzleboxes.

While I'm in the process of building a well in the prison, and seeing if there's anybody who doesn't like something ridiculous, I'd still love to know what's going on here. Any hints why I can't produce puzzleboxes?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzled about boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:35 pm »

Prison dorfs will only drink water brought to them. And i think puzzleboxes are one of things made when you spam stone/metal crafts.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:47:27 pm »

Prison dorfs will only drink water brought to them. And i think puzzleboxes are one of things made when you spam stone/metal crafts.

Not that the wiki is always 100% correct, but it disagrees with you pretty strongly.
* A small stockpile of good food, such as prepared meals, lets the prisoner eat when he's hungry, instead of when your haulers are free to feed them, and lets you provide high-quality stuff instead of whatever random item the hauler grabs. You won't need barrels for this stockpile, so turn 'em off (q -> E).
* Adding a well to each jail cell guarantees that your prisoners will never die of thirst if the jailer is a bit slow restocking their booze. And making the well from high-quality materials allows them to admire it, too!

And i think puzzleboxes are one of things made when you spam stone/metal crafts.

You're definitely wrong there. I have to spam crafts all the time to make rings for my duke, and the only puzzleboxes (which can be found in the Toys section of the Stocks menu) are wooden ones belonging to an elven caravan that's currently on the map.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

Not that the wiki is always 100% correct, but it disagrees with you pretty strongly.
* A small stockpile of good food, such as prepared meals, lets the prisoner eat when he's hungry, instead of when your haulers are free to feed them, and lets you provide high-quality stuff instead of whatever random item the hauler grabs. You won't need barrels for this stockpile, so turn 'em off (q -> E).
* Adding a well to each jail cell guarantees that your prisoners will never die of thirst if the jailer is a bit slow restocking their booze. And making the well from high-quality materials allows them to admire it, too!

And i think puzzleboxes are one of things made when you spam stone/metal crafts.

You're definitely wrong there. I have to spam crafts all the time to make rings for my duke, and the only puzzleboxes (which can be found in the Toys section of the Stocks menu) are wooden ones belonging to an elven caravan that's currently on the map.

I...am pretty sure that dorfs in prison will only eat and drink what is brought to them. Especially when your Jail is a cage. As for puzzlebox, it's a toy which falls under craft.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:02:30 pm »

There's a separate option for crafts and toys, for some reason. And you can't pick what specific type to make, which sucks and, combined with unreasonable nobles, is the cause of many a pain in the bum.

I guess you could replace him with someone who's easier to please? Noble screen, R for replace, choose whoever you like.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 08:08:49 pm »

I...am pretty sure that dorfs in prison will only eat and drink what is brought to them. Especially when your Jail is a cage. As for puzzlebox, it's a toy which falls under craft.

Dude. Toys are toys. Toys are not crafts. Crafts are crafts. You make toys by giving the order "Make <substance> toy". You make crafts by giving the order "Make <substance> crafts." Crafts are rings, amulets, figurines, amulets, bracelets, crowns, and scepters. Toys are puzzleboxes, mini-forges, toy hammers, toy axes, and toy boats. Start up DF and look for yourself.

You're right about if they're in cages. But Bug #0002606 has examples of dwarves both drinking and not drinking booze that is within reach of their restraints, if they're on a restraint. The problem in one case was that the dwarf was trying to path to booze that was out of reach despite having booze nearby. So yes, jailed dwarves on restraints will eat and drink on their own.

Now does anybody know why I can't make puzzleboxes?

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 08:23:21 pm »

Toys are still crafts though...    ::)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »

crafts = finished goods
toys = finished goods

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:34 pm »

crafts = finished goods
toys = finished goods

Finished goods = OH GOD CRUNDLES

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 09:11:28 pm »

Now does anybody know why I can't make puzzleboxes?

Try setting up a stonecrafter to make rock toys on repeat. Check back once the workshop gets cluttered and use the stocks menu to count the number of toys that you have of each type. In theory, only 20% should be puzzleboxes. The chance of you making something other than puzzleboxes 3 times in a row is 0.8^3 or 51.2%.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 11:09:15 pm »

If your jail is a cage, you are correct.  That's why I use chains for my jail instead.  A dwarf on a chain will drink booze in a booze stockpile he can reach, and will also drink from a well built adjacent to the chain.  A dwarf on a chain will also eat food from a food stockpile he can reach.  This is why my jails always have food and booze stockpiles next to the chain, so the prisoner can get his own food and drink.

Puzzleboxes are toys.  In vanilla DF, toys include puzzleboxes, toy boats, toy hammers, toy axes, and mini-forges.  Crafts include figurines, rings, earrings, amulets, bracelets, crowns, and scepters.  Crafts do not include toys.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 11:12:34 pm »

I think we have an example of my abilities to ignore certain features i don't use to such an extent that despite playing DF for years i have never registered that option as existing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 11:15:08 pm »

I think we have an example of my abilities to ignore certain features i don't use to such an extent that despite playing DF for years i have never registered that option as existing.

You've developed busy Dorf syndrome. Soon you'll be going in strange moods and throwing socks at people.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 09:50:55 am »

You've developed busy Dorf syndrome. Soon you'll be going in strange moods and throwing socks at people.

Everyones been a teenager at some point in their life, sockrockets and strange moods are a given! Unless you are some bizzaro person anyway

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 01:05:27 pm »

It's a bug - it's also impossible to produce drums.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2