Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Permantely Frozen Arctic Oceans  (Read 1798 times)

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Permantely Frozen Arctic Oceans
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »

I am a very sad dorf at the moment.  :'(
I wish to embark on an arctic ocean biome and fish to survive in a barren, frozen wasteland, but the water is completely frozen.
The wiki stated this, but offered no remedy. Is there a way to keep the bottom levels unfrozen so as to let sea creatures come onto the map, and then I had dig a fishing hole down to them or SOMETHING?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Permantely Frozen Arctic Oceans
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:33:34 pm »

Hm.

Well, my method here's rather rough, but you could dig out all the ice below the first level, connect it to the map edge, and watch the water flood in. And make sure to build some kind of roof above your fishing hole or it'll just freeze again.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:37:40 pm »

I don't believe that would work because you need things to be under actual natural floors to save things from freezing. That's just my understanding of the tag however, I will resort to !!Science!!
I'm guessing I could engrave fortifications into the side of the map to let the water in? If I turn temperature off, it won't freeze again. Only thing is that the animals still couldn't come onto the map..

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »

Alternatively, install a magma reservoir a z-level below and it should keep that layer liquid.  Whether or not it's connected to the map edge, vermin fish (which is what fishers can actually catch) will appear so long as the water is liquid.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 01:01:37 am »

I don't believe that would work because you need things to be under actual natural floors to save things from freezing. That's just my understanding of the tag however, I will resort to !!Science!!
I'm guessing I could engrave fortifications into the side of the map to let the water in? If I turn temperature off, it won't freeze again. Only thing is that the animals still couldn't come onto the map..

Attempting to build an effective ice trap (and reading the wiki) taught me that once a tile is exposed to open air then it stays cold forever no matter what you do. If the tiles on the bottom of the ocean are marked as outside then it's hopeless.

Alternatively, install a magma reservoir a z-level below and it should keep that layer liquid.  Whether or not it's connected to the map edge, vermin fish (which is what fishers can actually catch) will appear so long as the water is liquid.

... unless you cause global warming. Magma overrides environmental temperature.  :o

Fortifications on the edge are worth a try if there's no way to keep the edges melted. Stuff swims through submerged fortifications as if they do not exist so they would be passable squares, but I'm not sure how the spawning algorithm will react to a passable square that contains a construction. !!!SCIENCE!!! indeed.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:52:29 am »

Why not just carve fortifications out of ice walls on the map edge, rather than mine them out and construct new ones?

I imagine a large magma melting chamber and carved fortifications on the map edge should get you at least vermin fish, and probably larger ones too.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:01:26 am »

That's what the plan was, as you can't dig out the border tile ringing the map, and cannot construct anything (to my knowledge) besides roads within 5-ish tiles of the edge. My save file corrupted, but I'll try the suggestions on the next icefort to come under my control and report back. Thanks for the help!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:13:05 am »

Attempting to build an effective ice trap (and reading the wiki) taught me that once a tile is exposed to open air then it stays cold forever no matter what you do.

Yep, but placing a foor hatch on the ground before you start digging down is one way of getting around it.