Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No Flux?????  (Read 2136 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: No Flux?????
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 10:09:05 am »

I've had problems finding flux on maps, too.
Led me to try some modding to make flux veins occur, which felt cheaty, so stopped that.

Then I created a long reaction process to grind bones to powder, bake them (using fuel), and compress them into a hunk of calcium flux, which didn't feel cheaty because (A) all the labor involved (B) net loss in value making calcium from bones+fuel.

Maybe DF2012 will fix the flux problem, and next we'll be complaining that microcline is nowhere to be found.
 ;)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 10:12:04 am »

I hate embarking with no flux (or bauxite). Though running at 200fps, years roll around quickly and the liasion is always happy to import some, i am if nothing else, happy to waste time
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:26 am »

...and next we'll be complaining that microcline is nowhere to be found.

But... But then what mineral's abundance will we be complaining about?

*You have struck marble!*
*You have struck calcite!*
*You have struck chalk!*
*You have struck dolomite!*
*You have struck limestone!*
*You have struck marble!*  x79

FFFUUUUUUUUUUU---

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 01:04:52 pm »

Praise the miners! We have found microcline!
*Edit derp derp
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:13:56 pm by Loud Whispers »

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 01:12:38 pm »

A cave-in has occurred x500

"Oh, so that was microcline...?"
Also! It's microcline, not microline.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »

So far in .25 every time I've had naturally occurring iron I've found marble in the lowest cavern if no other flux was around, and I tend to find flux in most of my fortresses, either near the surface or in one of the caverns Not sure if it's just because of the types of embark sites I prefer or if I'm lucky.
If it matters, I tend to embark on mountains with around half the map being mountain tiles, and the other half whatever is at the foot of it, or on deserts and badlands. I never embark near volcanoes really, I couldn't care less about them (I don't understand why so many people swear by them, they're very overrated.), that's without using the site finder, if you use the site finder then finding flux should never be a problem, the site finder doesn't lie really - if it says you have flux, you have flux, even if you need to dig down to -60Z to get to it.

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 12:19:15 am »

Day 23: No flux has yet been found... The expedition is growing weary. We will spend the night in this abandoned castle, and use the cat epidemic to our advantage...

URIST MCDWARF CANCELS MAKE STEEL BARS, NO KITTEN FLUX.

Two things:
1. I have found at least marble pretty high up (it's the only thing I really pay attention to for flux, as I'm always in abundance of it.
2. Try doing a search for sites with flux: if the search gives you a good site, but the embark screen doesn't actually have the word "flux" for the biome, you'll still find it. (and it will probably be different than the standard marble-rush.

Tried, its all down in the caverns, no magnetite or coal... ]:

I've had problems finding flux on maps, too.
Led me to try some modding to make flux veins occur, which felt cheaty, so stopped that.

Then I created a long reaction process to grind bones to powder, bake them (using fuel), and compress them into a hunk of calcium flux, which didn't feel cheaty because (A) all the labor involved (B) net loss in value making calcium from bones+fuel.

Maybe DF2012 will fix the flux problem, and next we'll be complaining that microcline is nowhere to be found.
 ;)

You must teach me this arcane knowledge, yes? Flux VEINS you say? Interesting...

-EDIT-
The main reason why I am pissed at the lack of flux is the lack of coal.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:26:58 am by slawr34 »
I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 01:42:35 pm »

Why? Charcoal is a renewable resource.
Flux is not. (unless you mod)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 02:01:06 pm »

Humorously enough, I dumped out of about half a dozen embarks because when I got there I found craploads of surface iron and flux (mostly limestone and dolomite) ... when i was looking for tetrahedrite, as I've been in the mood to start with copper and try to work my up via goblinite mining.  When I finally found the embark I was looking for I saw no flux, but three tiles of digging later I found a huge chunk of limestone.  I've managed to make four bars of steel so far, and its only the second year of the fortress.

I embark on sites that are half hills/mountains and half forest, with at least a brook (preferably a stream) running through the embark area, and I almost always find flux in the first 5 to 8 z-levels, and almost never see flux listed before embarking.  Oh, and I use "frequent" minerals from the non-advanced world-gen menu.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:36 am »

Why? Charcoal is a renewable resource.
Flux is not. (unless you mod)

It is easy to get the coal and ores, rather than having to wait for trees to grow back. And with flux, I can make steel.

Humorously enough, I dumped out of about half a dozen embarks because when I got there I found craploads of surface iron and flux (mostly limestone and dolomite) ... when i was looking for tetrahedrite, as I've been in the mood to start with copper and try to work my up via goblinite mining.  When I finally found the embark I was looking for I saw no flux, but three tiles of digging later I found a huge chunk of limestone.  I've managed to make four bars of steel so far, and its only the second year of the fortress.

I embark on sites that are half hills/mountains and half forest, with at least a brook (preferably a stream) running through the embark area, and I almost always find flux in the first 5 to 8 z-levels, and almost never see flux listed before embarking.  Oh, and I use "frequent" minerals from the non-advanced world-gen menu.

BURN THE HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 02:22:48 am »

I embark on sites that are half hills/mountains and half forest, with at least a brook (preferably a stream) running through the embark area, and I almost always find flux in the first 5 to 8 z-levels, and almost never see flux listed before embarking. 

That's ok I guess, I mean anyone who can live without steel in my books is officially better than a mayor.

Oh, and I use "frequent" minerals from the non-advanced world-gen menu.

D:<

I'm kidding of course :P

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 11:57:51 am »

Use prospector (a part of DF hack) to tell you how much flux stone you have.  Then use normal exploritory mining techniques to find it.  If you remember where in the embark screen it said it was (like a biome only in one corner of your embark) you could easily use the vertical shaft method to try and find it.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 [2]