Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Flux?????  (Read 2134 times)

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Flux?????
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:50 am »

>:(

Wow. I am on a roll. My latest embark was the 11th (failed) attempt at finding flux. I am pretty pissed though.

Why?

BECAUSE OF ALL OF THE SITES LISTED FLUX ON THE EMBARK SCREEN.

Let me do a few checks:
1) I like my flux in mountains where it is easy get to (plus all those tasty coals and ores), I am 99% that all of my sites listed the flux as being on the mountains... I CANNOT SEE ANY DAMNED FLUX.
2) I did some excavations... If I am lucky I will find some marble in an Igneous layer (or, whatever.) but no flux associated ores.
3) I have genned 3 worlds in a row (not advanced, minerals = everywhere)

I mean, I have genned worlds before, and had this problem, and I eventually found some flux. But seriously? 11 times in a row? In 3 DIFFERENT WORLDS? What the flying firetruck?

Honestly, I preferred the old embark screen. It was harder to understand initially, but ACTUALLY GAVE YOU SOME IDEA of what to expect (and didn't lie its face off).

"So Mr. Embark-Screen sir, you say there is flux in them thar mountains?"
"Quite rightly, Mr. SLAWR, you have a good everything now" ;D
 :) :) :) :) :)
*EMBARKS*
lolwut. no flux
"FUCK YOU EMBARK SCREEN"
"OOOOHHHH. You wanted Flux. Well, ok. That'll be the soul of your firstborn child. K?"
*Hmmmmmmm*
"I'll think about it"

HELP?

tl;dr Y U NO FLUX
I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: No Flux?????
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 03:10:05 am »

Have you tried looking in the caverns?

EDIT: ooh, flux in mountains. Last time I only put some half-assed effort into paying attention to the OP(nah, it probably isn't).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:13:19 am by King DZA »

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:14:40 am »

Have you tried looking in the caverns?
XD

Are you high? No offense, but I think only way I think it is physically possible to get a sedimentary layer in a cavern is gen the world so the caverns come UP THROUGH THE GROUND.

If you have caverns at the normal level SITTING ON A SEDIMENTARY LAYER, you either duped the raws or your games glitched. Also, mods.

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:20:27 am »

EDIT: ooh, flux in mountains. Last time I only put some half-assed effort into paying attention to the OP(nah, it probably isn't).
Nah it probably isnt? wut?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 03:29:32 am »

Actually, you see, I'm somewhat tired at the moment, and put little to no effort into skimming through your original post. As such, from what I was able to gather, it seemed like your only problem was that you couldn't find any flux, despite the embark screen saying that there was, in fact, flux in the area.

My response to this apparent problem of yours was to suggest checking the lower levels, in or around the caverns. Where flux can sometimes be found.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:31:34 am by King DZA »

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:32:35 am »

If it listed flux on the embark search screen, then you will find some marble or something down in the caverns. This happens to me all the time.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 03:35:29 am »

It could be that certain parts of the area have flux, but not all. Say, a small corner area has flux, but nowhere else is there any.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 03:56:10 am »

Actually, you see, I'm somewhat tired at the moment, and put little to no effort into skimming through your original post. As such, from what I was able to gather, it seemed like your only problem was that you couldn't find any flux, despite the embark screen saying that there was, in fact, flux in the area.

My response to this apparent problem of yours was to suggest checking the lower levels, in or around the caverns. Where flux can sometimes be found.

Thanks for clarifying.

If it listed flux on the embark search screen, then you will find some marble or something down in the caverns. This happens to me all the time.

DAMN, that must be what this means...

Well, it only confirms the point I was subtly trying to make in the OP, that the new embark screen is more flawed than the old one (in terms of the minerals section).
I.E. Is it not important to know whether you embark site has an actual sedimentary layer rather than a few clusters of marble?

It could be that certain parts of the area have flux, but not all. Say, a small corner area has flux, but nowhere else is there any.
Now, see, that is what I thought initially (~2 attempts). But when you are placing the site for embark, the embark readout only applies to the same type of squares that make the majority of the selected squares. I know you may now say "but the same types of squares have different minerals!", I scrupulously went and checked each individual square...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 11:49:12 am »

There seems to be a correlation that worlds genned with minerals everywhere have less flux. So you should consider lowering the mineral count :P

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:20 am »

There seems to be a correlation that worlds genned with minerals everywhere have less flux. So you should consider lowering the mineral count :P

That is interesting, perhaps Toady lowered the amount of flux genned to stop the worlds from being rejected? I will have to try and find a compromise between minerals and flux... will start a new thread if I get a breakthrough.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 02:48:07 am »

i can find marble (which is flux) around cavern level 2... in fack that is were i have ALWAYS found it...

and also... you might want to know that flux is kinda strange... i have embarked on maps which don't say that there is flux and found it on the map.

also i find steel as a waste of time... just go on a candy hunt.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 03:43:55 am »

Deon created a work around to no flux situations in his genesis mod, theres a number of flux-free methods that just have other resource costs.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 03:50:55 am »

Use DFHack to probe the area.

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 04:05:26 am »

Hmmm, are there any parameters relating to flux in Adv. World Gen?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 09:40:44 am »

Two things:
1. I have found at least marble pretty high up (it's the only thing I really pay attention to for flux, as I'm always in abundance of it.
2. Try doing a search for sites with flux: if the search gives you a good site, but the embark screen doesn't actually have the word "flux" for the biome, you'll still find it. (and it will probably be different than the standard marble-rush.
Pages: [1] 2