Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FireFall - First and foremost an FPS  (Read 5885 times)

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
FireFall - First and foremost an FPS
« on: January 02, 2012, 01:50:46 am »

Huge 2-hour livestream of the beta here!

Click here for 11 minutes of gameplay.
Cinematic trailer.
Bonus hidden video
Dev commentary
Game looks sweet. Mix of Borderlands and Tribes. It is made by Blizzard ex-employees like Mark Kern (team lead on WoW) and William Petras (art director on WoW) and Scott Youngblood (lead designer on Tribes 1 and 2).
Here is link to their site: http://www.firefallthegame.com/

Few points from FAQ on their forum:

Is Firefall an MMO?

No. Firefall is first and foremost an action shooter. We incorporated a lot of elements that you might find in various genres, including MMOs, but it is not an MMO in the traditional sense.

How much will Firefall cost to play?

We are so excited about Firefall that we want to make sure everyone can play it and join their friends in the game. When Firefall releases, it will be available online for download and play for absolutely free.

Will there be a subscription fee?

Absolutely not. We do not feel that a subscription fee best suits the style of game we are creating.

How do you plan to make money?

We plan to offer a marketplace for Firefall that will offer players items to enhance their gaming experience. We are adamantly against selling anything that might compromise the skill-based aspect of the game.

When Beta will start I'm sure to sign up.

[/size]

FireFall is an upcoming FPS/TPS Sci Fi MMORPG from Red5 Studios. Like League of Legends and Battlefield Heroes, it will be completely free to play (with a few microtransations for non-game changing things)

Backstory:

Earth will never be the same. After the Crystite Wars, humanity inadvertently invited the worst enemy ever conceived: THE MELDING. It surrounds us. It forces us to live in pockets of land protected only by the accidental discovery of repulsor technology. We continue to fight for land. For technology. For power. For our very survival. JOIN THE FIGHT. FIREFALL is a team-based action shooter. Join your friends in an epic online campaign across a vast open world to stop the Melding and fight for the survival of humanity against the army of the Chosen. Advance your army and character through technological upgrades. Level up different character classes. Compete for supremacy in various multiplayer game types. Push back the Melding. SAVE EARTH

Gameplay-
FireFall is an open world shooter RPG with team based elements. It has a Borderland's-esque cartoony graphics style, and like Borderlands, has you go out with friends to fight off all kinds of alien nasties as you complete missions and find resources. The game has modular armor and weapons, allowing you to upgrade them with custom abilities and firemodes as you progress through the game. Your character can also find things like backpacks that they can attach to their armor to give them abilities such as an electric shockwave, a healing pulse, or even wings to glide with.

Videos -
Cinematic Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JxJgADOi6c

Gameplay Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpObQV9Z9Y

Developer Commentary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZvGdLsUO8M

FireFall is set to release before the end of 2011, but will have a public beta open soon.
[/size]

Bottom quote/article is from Facepunch
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:12:48 am by magistrate101 »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FireFall - First and foremost an FPS
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:54:30 am »

I was hoping this was a notification of release. So sad that it hasn't actually been released yet.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:55:52 am »

I was hoping this was a notification of release. So sad that it hasn't actually been released yet.

I just put it here cause the other thread was dead, and it was warning me about posting in it... :P

Also, if one of you gets an invite, and doesn't send one to me, I will shove you in The Pit of a Thousand Elves That Constantly Berate You Over Your Use of Wood.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:20:28 am »

I'm still not expecting much out of it because of the "free to play" thing, but I might give it a chance.  Usually free to play just means "pay to remove tediousness" though...
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 02:36:00 am »

Personally, I can't wait. Even if it's basically a KOTH-type game with humans holding the point against enemy critters, the gameplay in the videos looked to be more fun (to me, at least) than most other big games out today.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:40:34 am »

I was hoping that the beta right now would work like Tribes: Ascend

For those who don't know, beta is here right now, and anyone who gets into the beta gets two keys to give away to friends. However, the people who are given keys by their friends will not get keys themselves, which unfortunately eliminates the ability for infinite beta keys :(

Still, very happy about the games direction, and I really hope this succeeds.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 04:25:28 am »

Yeah, and whenever I check the website, logging in to my account only gives the option of resetting my password, which is not really anything I was hoping to see.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 03:11:44 pm »

I'm still not expecting much out of it because of the "free to play" thing, but I might give it a chance.  Usually free to play just means "pay to remove tediousness" though...
Did you not read up on it?
It's not pay-to-win, it's pay-for-vanity, as in, paying for something that won't impact gameplay.
So no paying for dem überelitesupermegaultra weapons, but instead, paying for things like name changes and battleframe paint or something...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »

Did you not read up on it?
It's not pay-to-win, it's pay-for-vanity, as in, paying for something that won't impact gameplay.
So no paying for dem überelitesupermegaultra weapons, but instead, paying for things like name changes and battleframe paint or something...

There are no gameplay advantages to be earned by playing the game for a length of time? A completely new player has complete access to every weapon and item from day 1?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 06:00:28 pm »

No, time gets you somewhere. Money doesn't, it just gets showoff stuff.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 06:06:10 pm »

Tf2 someone?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »

The Pit of a Thousand Elves That Constantly Berate You Over Your Use of Wood.
No, not TPTETCBYOYUW!
(don't actually have a key, just posting to watch this interesting thread)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:08:26 pm »

So you can still pay to remove tediousness, then. Or at least, it has the potential to.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:10:54 pm »

If you compare time to gold farming, perhaps. You'd still be bad at an FPS if you haven't played it but paid someone else to, either way.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 06:21:42 pm »

Looks interesting. Watching this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3