Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghosts and Floodgates  (Read 622 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Ghosts and Floodgates
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:35:46 am »

So anyone following SkyStones will know that my mechanic died.  He drowned in the water tunnel after a cave-in miscalculation.  His ghost promptly sat around the tunnel looking sad.  I didn't care.  Until, I tried to close the tunnel via the row of floodgates.  And the ghost seems to have blocked it.

Will a ghost prevent a floodgate from closing, or did something strange happen?

As soon as I put a slab down (can't make a dwarf go swimming to bring that corpse back!) the ghost disappeared and my floodgate closed as normal.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Ghosts and Floodgates
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:40:04 am »

That is really cool. I hope that ghost blocked your gate. Because that would give me a means of making a tomb which triggers massive floods in the fort if the body in it is laid to rest.

Are you sure the ghost wasn't just sitting on another obstruction, which had been pushed out of the way by water currents after the body was laid to rest?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:47:43 am »

That is really cool. I hope that ghost blocked your gate. Because that would give me a means of making a tomb which triggers massive floods in the fort if the body in it is laid to rest.

Are you sure the ghost wasn't just sitting on another obstruction, which had been pushed out of the way by water currents after the body was laid to rest?

Bay12: Weaponizing dwarves even after their death, keeping them in torment for a few more years before they can be put to rest.

Okay, not my best quote, but I'm doing this for the first time.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:20:58 am »

This could be tested by atom-smashing dwarves on a small bridge in a room full of floodgates. Once ghosts appear in the room (some haunt the locations of their deaths), try toggling the floodgates.

Are we sure that the ghost wasn't sitting on the same tile as the closed floodgate? Did you see a change in the water flow or something that indicated the gate was still open, and had then closed?

EDIT: Girlinhat's profile picture is currently an error box,.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:25:57 am by Urist Da Vinci »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »

I'm 100% certain that the water flow changed, as this was the power to my project and I was watching closely.  Besides, with the way the river was breached, it was VERY obvious that the flow had diverted.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:42:21 pm »

So now we have a genuine, unreliable way to weaponise ghosts?

Sounds perfect.
[Signature]

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:46:15 am »

I notice some ghosts like to hang out on the exact tile they died at. If one were to kill a dwarf on a tile in a controlled manner, perhaps by dropping them there, one could subsequently place a floodgate there, then build out the system further from there. the Body can be dumped in its tomb, then unforbidden such that it then becomes a goal of petty thieving dwarves (who want to lay their brethren to rest).