Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hauling Magma  (Read 3865 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling Magma
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 04:04:30 pm »

Maybe a magma safe bucket/barrel could have nether cap added to it in strategic locations to make the bucket/barrel safe for dwarves to carry it... Although then you'd have to come up with a way to get the magma into the bucket/barrel without burning/melting/whatever the wood.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »

And if the Dwarf spills said molten rock? Asking for a lot of trouble.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 07:51:05 am »

Doesn't matter that Nether-cap's cold, wouldn't it still melt if it was holding magma? It melts when it's thrown in magma, and keep in mind ice also melts despite being cold.
...Nether-Cap doesn't melt when thrown in magma in any version I'm familiar with. And ice doesn't have the magical property of staying at an even 0 degrees C/32 degrees F no matter what.

Magma drinks.
This is not minecraft, it makes no sense carrying magma in WOODEN buckets.
Depends on the wood. Aforementioned magical wood? Sure.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 08:31:35 am »

Magma drinks.
This is not minecraft, it makes no sense carring magma in WOODEN buckets.

But they're not wooden buckets. They're nether cap buckets, which are very very special.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 07:58:26 pm »

Nether cap isn't meant to be magic, it's meant to be cold. Magic is a placeholder.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 05:21:25 am »

Now I'm wondering why nether cap is cold, and am trying to come up with a "reasonable" (or completely absurd) explanation beyond magic.

...Maybe it somehow expends heat energy in order to grow...? in which case it would actually make a lot of sense to keep it away from the magma. :-\ Far away.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 09:59:08 pm »

The answer to hauling magma upwards is to use multiple cratons.  Cratons being smaller techtonic plates, generated by more than one fumaroles in opposite alignments.  Much like the behavior of two perpendicular boat waves, crossing one another and producing one upward and downward swelling diamond shaped wave.  This wave when seperated from the liquid into a solid state, would form our craton.  In this case, instead of a waterboat, our driving force would be wake generating fumaroles.  And the wakes would be in very deep magma pulls, capable of the upward, downward motions.  The diamond shaped craton would get frozen, into obsidian while in its lowest position, somehow, not sure, maybe a cool air jet...  Cut out.  Then hauled to a spout, which could fill out the process, and finally lug it upwards by well-type dwarf mechanics.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »

Now I'm wondering why nether cap is cold, and am trying to come up with a "reasonable" (or completely absurd) explanation beyond magic.

...Maybe it somehow expends heat energy in order to grow...? in which case it would actually make a lot of sense to keep it away from the magma. :-\ Far away.

But then why is the wood itself cold? If only the live trees were, I could see a heat-living tree living in the caverns just above the magma sea. But the wood is cold.
And I know they're technically fungi, but who cares.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 01:11:42 pm »

Well, even if nether-cap is not magically-cold, it would be nice to have a way to use magically-cold materials as heat insulation.
On the other hand, carrying magma around in a bucket invokes convection schmonvection either way.

On the third muta-hand, once again, I should note that carrying magma around in buckets is extremely dwarfy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 12:56:05 am »

I have to admit a nether-cap magma diving suit would be amazing. But wouldn't the Dwarves just float?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 05:14:01 pm »

I have to admit a nether-cap magma diving suit would be amazing. But wouldn't the Dwarves just float?

I have the urge to draw a dwarf in a wooden diving suit bobbing around in a lake of magma. Hoo boy.

I think a dwarf carrying around magma would result in burnt off dwarf hands, and probably flaming beards too, no matter what it was carried in.

Maybe when we get movable buildings, we could designate a large pot of magma safe material to be filled, then it could be carted (Or, for the extremely patient, dragged) to the desired destination. It'd be a really specialized construction though, given magma's unique properties.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 05:19:00 pm »

Magma well?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 05:27:01 pm »

Magma well?

It'd certainly be nice to have magma forges closer to the surface without requiring a volcano.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 05:58:04 pm »

Reminds me of a story I remember (badly) that my Dad told me about one of those stories folk-industrial tales, supposedly about some business in the steelworks he used to work at but probably something migratory and passed all the way down history and around the world in various forms.  <= edit: I've absolutely no idea what happened with my grammar there.  YGTI, though

A legendary steelworks foreman was being told how it was so difficult to move a load of molten slag away from a particular blast-furnace when there were technical problems with the usual outflow[1].  This foreman suggested they use "Woodin' wagons".  "No!", say all the younger men, "they'll just burst into flames!"  "Don't worry," replies the old codger, it'"ll be all right, just use those old woodin' wagons.  I know what I'm doin'."  "But..."  "No buts, just do it..."  "Ok then."

At this point (if told properly) the story-tellee is generally wound up enough to ask the story-teller what happened.  Response: They burst into flames...

[1] Yeah, well, here's where I know I misremember it.  But go with it...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:21:05 pm by Starver »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 06:18:35 pm »

Magma well?

It'd certainly be nice to have magma forges closer to the surface without requiring a volcano.
That's what pump stats are for.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 [2] 3