Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hauling Magma  (Read 3875 times)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hauling Magma
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:39:33 pm »

I accidentally made some buckets out of nether-cap wood in my latest fort with some underground pastures.
Then, I realized - hey... these would be perfect for hauling magma.

Even normally magma-safe materials made into buckets might burn your dwarves as the heat transfers, but nether cap would solve that problem neatly.

Who needs boiling oil when you could just designate a magma pond on the edge of the walls? :)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling Magma
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:54:09 pm »

I accidentally made some buckets out of nether-cap wood in my latest fort with some underground pastures.
Then, I realized - hey... these would be perfect for hauling magma.

Even normally magma-safe materials made into buckets might burn your dwarves as the heat transfers, but nether cap would solve that problem neatly.

Who needs boiling oil when you could just designate a magma pond on the edge of the walls? :)

Wouldn't it be incredibly heavy though? I have a mental image of lava being very heavy and difficult to carry, seeing as it's molten rock.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:03:17 pm »

Dwarves already lug massive nuggets of platinum and lead around with reckless abandon, why not a tiny wooden bucket of liquid rock?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:14:14 pm »

Dwarves already lug massive nuggets of platinum and lead around with reckless abandon, why not a tiny wooden bucket of liquid rock?

Indeed, I don't know why I thought platinum would be any easier to carry than a bucket of lava. I support this suggestion wholeheartedly. It's a good idea.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:52:41 pm »

Doesn't matter that Nether-cap's cold, wouldn't it still melt if it was holding magma? It melts when it's thrown in magma, and keep in mind ice also melts despite being cold.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Mayama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 04:18:54 am »

What about a pot made out of magma save stone with a nether cap mantle?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 04:24:52 am »

Magma haulers could have fun accidents.
Urist on fire explodes the booze.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 04:44:35 am »

Ha, yeah.   Hot potato! Hot potato! 

What I wanna know from Toady is.  Why can't we assign a pit or a pond to be created out of solid obsidian blocks.  In a scorching biome; that should return it to magma by turning back, minus the water, the obsidian into magma, shouldn't it?  If it were outdoors, in the summer sun, without lotion, the top layers should at least bubble.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 05:48:11 am »

Magma is just hot rock. Why would cooling it make it hot when it left the bucket.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:05:28 am »

Yes, it makes no sense at all.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 12:10:18 pm »

Magma is just hot rock. Why would cooling it make it hot when it left the bucket.

Wouldn't it just cool into obsidian around the sides of the bucket, effectively lining the nether cap bucket with obsidian and allowing you to carry the rest of the magma in a bucket? It surely wouldn't cool the entire bucket's contents.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 11:01:06 pm »

Wouldn't it just cool into obsidian around the sides of the bucket, effectively lining the nether cap bucket with obsidian and allowing you to carry the rest of the magma in a bucket? It surely wouldn't cool the entire bucket's contents.

Thermodynamics would disagree with you

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 11:44:48 pm »

As we all know, deep pools never cool, and small puddles of magma evaporate... it only turns to obsidian when injected with water.
The nether cap would only melt if its temperature increased above its melting point, and since it is a fixed-temperature material it can't warm up.
Thermodynamics doesn't really apply these materials :)

Realistically, the rock crust on your magma would insulate it for a while, plenty long enough to carry it up the stairs and dump it on an invader.  Wouldn't be fun to clean the bucket after, though...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 09:08:58 am »

What next? Storing magma in steel barrels? The current magma behavior is highly illogical and you suggest even more weirdness.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 01:03:33 pm »

Magma drinks.
This is not minecraft, it makes no sense carring magma in WOODEN buckets.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: [1] 2 3