Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So...I just trapped the Dwarven caravan...  (Read 3263 times)

ion25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So...I just trapped the Dwarven caravan...
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:42:30 am »

It was my first year on a new fort, and the Dwarven traders just came in. I evaluated my current situation, traded some rough gems for some fish, and then thought, "Screw this!" I pulled the lever that opened the bridge into my fort, and trapped them in the depot. What will happen now? Will they try to kill me? The are accompanied by a Axedwarf and Speardwarf, and I don't want to die...I don't have a proper military. Will they starve to death(I could always use more bait)? But it's not like I really have anything to lose...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:49:56 am by ion25 »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: So...I just trapped the Dwarven caravan...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:53:30 am »

They will not starve, but they will eventually go insane. This can manifest as harmless melancholy or mania. However, there is a good chance one or two animals, merchants or guards will go berserk. This is bad news, as even berserk donkeys are notorious for going on a one-ass rampage and end entire forts.

Either let them out or wall them in the depot until you can get a couple of militia dwarfs. You might get lucky and have no berserkers, though.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ion25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:58:44 am »

They will not starve, but they will eventually go insane. This can manifest as harmless melancholy or mania. However, there is a good chance one or two animals, merchants or guards will go berserk. This is bad news, as even berserk donkeys are notorious for going on a one-ass rampage and end entire forts.

Either let them out or wall them in the depot until you can get a couple of militia dwarfs. You might get lucky and have no berserkers, though.
(Evil grin)I'm going to have a lot of Fun with these guys...but perhaps I should wait until the Elves drop by and I can get a militia going...mwahahahahahahahaha...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:22:57 am »

You kidding? I deliberately make most of my super soldiers berserk. Weaponize, rinse, repeat. Let the animals and maybe the merchants out though, unless you want to hurt your economy.

ion25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:30:57 am »

You kidding? I deliberately make most of my super soldiers berserk. Weaponize, rinse, repeat. Let the animals and maybe the merchants out though, unless you want to hurt your economy.
I already let the Dwarves out. But I'm planning to go to war with the Elves when they arrive though...I have this plan of trapping them in the depot via levers, then activating a machine that will slowly drown them in water from the local river...I'll probably do the same with those meddling Humans too. This way I don't have to construct a military, as my population is currently 11(I got 2 migrants each from 2 waves)and I need more slaves helping hands to do some important stone hauling.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:38:19 am by ion25 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:00:58 am »

You do realise you probably won't see the elves until they're on top of your Dorfs? It's laughable, until they turn your civilians into pine needle pin cushions.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 07:17:49 am »

Going to war with elf and human civs is kinda tricky away.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:57:00 am »

Killing berserk caravan members is the best way to set up a loyalty cascade from personal experience.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 10:40:20 am »

The dwarf caravans are useful, anyway. You can request stuff from them, so the next time your nobles want something made out of some obscure material, you have a way out that doesn't involve dousing them in magma and starting a tantrum spiral because they have thirty-seven friends during their endless parties.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 12:21:36 pm »

burn their eyes out with lava, you have created the fearless soldier
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 12:23:35 pm »

burn their eyes out with lava, you have created the fearless soldier

NO! Syndromes. Magma showers can cause too much damage. You want to get rid of the eyes, not turn them into puddles :|

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 12:31:22 pm »

I already let the Dwarves out. But I'm planning to go to war with the Elves when they arrive though...I have this plan of trapping them in the depot via levers, then activating a machine that will slowly drown them in water from the local river...I'll probably do the same with those meddling Humans too. This way I don't have to construct a military, as my population is currently 11(I got 2 migrants each from 2 waves)and I need more slaves helping hands to do some important stone hauling.

You can drown caravan after caravan with no effect. Kill their diplomat after insulting him, THAT'LL piss them off.

Works for humans, too, even if it's not your fault. I had one spawn minus a leg and an eye, and he went insane on his way out. Then the guard dog chewed him apart. In the first year of my fort.
Human sieges are nasty.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »

PRONE_RAGE:1
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 12:45:14 pm »

Killing berserk caravan members is the best way to set up a loyalty cascade from personal experience.
Then you might have hit one that wasn't berserk.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 12:47:17 pm »

Berserk members are no longer members of your civ. Also, animals that kill Loyalty Cascade Dwarves become enemies - but Dwarves that kill them do not. An effective way of dealing with it.
Pages: [1] 2 3