Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large Population Idle but not performing menial tasks  (Read 1168 times)

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large Population Idle but not performing menial tasks
« on: December 31, 2011, 08:03:26 pm »

Everything has been going fine in Oilnames until I broke a population of about 230, since then things have been acting a little weird with a majority of the population suddenly "taking it easy" and not doing a number of automatic tasks (they still follow out manager's orders efficiently). Removing a total of 48 children, that leaves about 53 adults doing nothing but sitting around with no job, drinking, and throwing parties. This is pretty odd, and I was hoping to get some guidance on what might be going on with the game dynamic since I'm missing something:

1) Eggs used to be automatically collected. I have not forbidden eggs, but suddenly these are not being collected at all, and I'm getting massive explosions in chickens, turkeys and peacocks. As this was a fairly automatic task before, it's now putting me in a bit of a danger spot and hurting FPS.

2) I have erected a copper cage, and ordered about 100 chicks, turkey chicks, peachicks, etc all assigned to it. No one is caging these animals. In my experience, an idle dwarf would usually pick up this task shortly after unpausing.

3) Water/food hauling to non-grazer animals like dogs and cats in cages has stopped.

4) Water/food hauling to prisoners have stopped.

5) After room deconstruction, no one is taking the furniture to the stockpile. This occurred primarily when I deconstructed my hospital, and all the doors, traction benches, tables, beds, and cabinet were just left lying around.

6) Prepared meals (roasts and stews) are not being put in barrels, even when the stacks are in low numbers (1 or 2). I'm aware that large stacks will be left out on the stockpile floor.

I have checked with Dwarf Therapist to make sure hauling, animal care, feed prisoners, etc are enabled. It looks like it's all correctly configured. Have my dwarves just become lazy? Do certain fortress setups result in behaviors like this? I did basically build a fortress that has an excess food supply, more booze than a river has water, and five or six dining rooms/meeting places/statue gardens.

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Large Population Idle but not performing menial tasks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:24:07 pm »

Oh, I have two more issues cropping up around the same time that may be related:

7) The carpenters no longer recognize the surface is covered in logs, and keep saying they need logs to create things for me.

8) likewise, for constructions I'm making on the surface with granite, somehow the piles of granite deep down in my fortress are not showing up on the materials menu for walls, so now I cannot select it. There are plenty of granite stones available down there though.

I'm starting to wonder if there is some issue here that is related to things on different z levels. Like, they no longer see the eggs up on the surface just like they no longer see all the available logs.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 08:30:02 pm »

Check if you have them assigned to burrows/a civillian alert, absence of stairs up to surface, locked doors, etc.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:34:50 pm »

What version of DF are you using?

1. Check your stockpiles. Make sure there's room for that stuff.
Or just slaughter them all.
2. Why would you put that much meat so many animals in a cage? :P
3. Can your dwarves access water? Alternatively, can your dwarves leave the meeting areas/idle places?
5. Check your stockpile. Since you say they have furniture hauling, if they can reach it, they'll pick it up.
6. Do you have barrels?
7. Stockpiles.
8. Stockpiles. Or mass dump them right next to the walls, then unforbid.

Are you using burrows? You don't need that many meeting areas if you're not.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »

Have you been changing workshop settings/profiles? Burrows? Jobs on/off?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:43:58 pm »

What mods/programs do you use for DF or have running?

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:13:48 pm »

Too Many Parties.

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 11:13:16 pm »

After much investigation, I found that a cave-in had cut off one of the passages to an up-stair, basically breaking the fortress's access to the surface. Now I just feel silly. :)

The prepared meals mystery I'm still looking into, and the hauling of food/water to caged animals and prisoners is still a concern.

Thanks for the help all!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 12:19:20 am »

After much investigation, I found that a cave-in had cut off one of the passages to an up-stair

Do we need to ask ???

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 04:45:31 am »

We must ask. I do believe it has something to do with at least one painful death filled with screaming and flailing.

JBlak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 05:15:26 am »

Check yo' standing orders, son.
Shimbilagak