Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: My daughter started a fort  (Read 8370 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: My daughter started a fort
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 12:26:03 pm »

Nthing the cries of "caps! caps! caps!"

For all we know, she might discover something awesome that the rest of us hadn't yet found. Or, in true DF fashion, bork something up and send Anger Balls the Balls of Anger to a fiery demise.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 11:05:41 am »

Your daughter is awesome.  That is all.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 07:21:14 pm »

"Rapidbladder" made my day.

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:40 pm »

"Anger Balls the Balls of Anger" would be a good name for a rock band.

Ha Ha, TVTropes!
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »

Thats pretty durn cool I hope to share videogames with my kids one day when I git some.

80 year old me: Back in my day we used controllers, and our computers had keyboards and screens.

My futer kids: Quit jokin around dad whats a key anyway like did you play "piano hero" or somthing.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 09:06:15 pm »

She's one smart kid, I have friends in late teens who don't understand this game. And they are gamers.

Gamer =/= appreciation for a good game.

In my mind, DF has the best graphics, imagination.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 09:07:27 pm »

Probably best to keep away from the clown and circus euphemisms for the moment though - don't want to make them any more terrifying for the kid then they probably already are

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 10:05:18 pm »

I'd like to third (or is it fourth?) the notion of you uploading screenshots of her fort.
I'll even throw in a "Pretty pretty PRETTY please?" if it needs to come to that, but let's hope it doesn't, eh?

nothing is cooler to me than seeing what new players do with their forts.
some of my best ideas come from these.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 10:19:59 pm »

That's awful ballsy of her.

I know, that was bad.

Also...

NOO stop linking to TVtropes!  That website is so addictive it's evil!
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 10:42:34 pm »

Probably best to keep away from the clown and circus euphemisms for the moment though - don't want to make them any more terrifying for the kid then they probably already are

Probably what the real world needs when the demons actually do rise and storm the upperworld is a whole lot of people utterly desensitised by everything from Wolfenstein and Doom to Buffy and True Blood.  There'll be ones that don't run when they should do, but any that survive the first encounter will know what to do with a chainsaw, will get that grenade just where it hurts in the maw of the vilest of beasts, will resist the incursions from below as easily as they resisted the regiments of invaders from space by shooting up at their bombing runs whilst occasionally hiding behind buildings.

Our youngsters will be the ones that prepare the landslides, the floods, and as a sideline divert Earth's own lifeblood to deal with the less troublesome enemies.

If I've got a vote for who gets the Spartan armour and the sniper rifles, I'm putting my friends' kids forward.  But they'd be as bad as gremlins with levers.  But maybe the OP's daughter...  Yeah, I'd trust a DF player to do that.  Although I'd probably check first to make sure my nicely-appointed room didn't have a mysterious hatch in the ceiling, first... ;)

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 10:48:53 pm »

I know, that was bad.

Also...

Speaking on behalf of the community, we're sorry. :(
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 11:11:17 pm »

That's awesome. My daughter has taken an interest in DF, but alas, she is only three, and has not yet mastered the alphabet.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2012, 11:13:49 pm »

My brother can actually play DF, but he doesn't play it much. Keep us updated on this amazing fortress, eh?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 11:45:28 pm »

I know, that was bad.

Also...

Speaking on behalf of the community, we're sorry. :(

I can and will sic my pet grue on you.

That's awesome. My daughter has taken an interest in DF, but alas, she is only three, and has not yet mastered the alphabet.

You could turn it into a learning experience for her while you're at it then.  Maybe?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 11:54:18 pm »

You could turn it into a learning experience for her while you're at it then.  Maybe?

"That's right sweetie:  If you don't like your betters, make them a fancy bedroom with a strange hatch in the ceiling and a large lever that says "Pull Me" on it"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5