Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Refuse management inside the fortress.  (Read 1797 times)

goqe

• Bay Watcher
  • NewbieDorf
    • View Profile
Refuse management inside the fortress.
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:06:54 am »

Soooooo... I'm sure there is an answer out there, but my searching didn't gave me the answer i was looking for.

I just embarked in a haunted region with a volcano nearby.So (of course) i build my fortress near the volcano.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's my first embark at a haunted location, so i immediately goof and my 2 war dogs are killed by a Gremling.The harpies attack my dorfs, but i kill them.I want to sustain my fort whilst reducing the need for going out to absolute minimum. I want to ask - what's the best way to handle refuse inside the fort?
Don't forget - there's MAGMA!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was angry with the inefficiency of a fort.
SO, I tried to flood it from a brook.
The first death was from dehydration.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse management inside the fortress.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:14 am »

You've already answered your question.
Magma, of course.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:27:31 am »

Make a refuse stockpile in all of your Dwarves's bedrooms. They will appreciate the sentiment.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:39:47 am »

Two ways immediately spring to mind.

Option 1) Create a garbage dump over a hole into a space with magma, and dump (d-b-d) all your waste, this is easiest to set up but runs the risk of magma critters and vermin getting into your fort. Also if you tend to use the dump command to move things around (such as moving a ton of stone to the Dwarven Ultimate Materials Pile (D.U.M.P.) by your masons shop), you might accidentally magma something you wanted to keep.

Option 2) This requires a tiny bit more work to set up, but it is less likely to destroy things you want. Create a large room with a refuse stockpile (I would turn bones/skulls/shells off of this stockpile but if you don't mess with those industries you might leave them turned on.) Set up this room to be flooded with Magma with the pull of a lever, and make sure you can drain it with another lever pull. Then when the dump is full, just lock the door, flood with magma, all the worthless garbage is destroyed, and then the magma drains out and you can fill it up again.

goqe

• Bay Watcher
  • NewbieDorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:18:05 pm »

@KingStrongbeard

How will i drain it? Is there anyway to drain it in an infinite pool or something? (Like water into aquifier.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:40:54 pm »

@KingStrongbeard

How will i drain it? Is there anyway to drain it in an infinite pool or something? (Like water into aquifier.)

You could drain it off screen, by carving fortifications into the walls

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:51:26 pm »

Yes, the easiest way would be to let gravity do the work and drain it off screen. You don't even have to make a path to the surface for it. If you designate an area to be dug all the way to the map edge, you will find that you can not dig out the last square. But you can smooth the last square and then make a Fortification in the wall (designations menu). This will allow liquid to pass through the last square and into the void off the map. Alternatively, you could drain it into the caverns and let it find an edge there. Or you could even use pumps to pump it up and then back into the volcano, though that wouldn't exactly be an efficient or elegant solution, it could give you a magma fall and that's kind of cool, I guess.

After the room drains, you'll probably still have puddles of 1/7 magma about, however, 1/7 magma will eventually evaporate, given a bit of time.

If you go through a lot of garbage it might be better to make two rooms so that while on is being Magma Cleaned the other is still useable, but that's probably not necessary.

goqe

• Bay Watcher
  • NewbieDorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 02:04:57 pm »

I will definetly try that....after new's eve though.

Thanks for the help and Happy New Year! :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 02:26:05 pm »

Happy new year ;P

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:15:24 pm »

Alternatively, instead of going through the trouble of draining the magma, you could channel over top of the magma, plop a retractable bridge down, designate the bridge as a dump area, and then open the bridge when you want to get rid of some stuff. Make sure you put walls around the bridge though, as stuff has a tendency to go flying.

goqe

• Bay Watcher
  • NewbieDorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 04:26:34 pm »

Alternatively, instead of going through the trouble of draining the magma, you could channel over top of the magma, plop a retractable bridge down, designate the bridge as a dump area, and then open the bridge when you want to get rid of some stuff. Make sure you put walls around the bridge though, as stuff has a tendency to go flying.

Wouldn't it be easier just to make a retractable bridge? Or stuff flies everywhere anyway?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 04:41:02 pm »

Items on a raising drawbridge fly up to 11 tiles away.  Items on a retracting bridge fly up to 3 tiles away.  So yes, stuff will get flung around no matter what kind of bridge you build.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

goqe

• Bay Watcher
  • NewbieDorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 04:43:25 pm »

So how would you advice me to place the bridge? On the screenshot i've placed (the second one showing the current fortress) the actual lava level is 1 z-level down so i think it's a good place to build the bridge there. Do i need to build several level walls to prevent stuff flying over the walls or there is a ceiling there?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 11:49:03 am »

Curiously, bridges do not seem to fling things in ballistic arcs but rather throw them sideways with great force.

If there's nowhere to fling an item then it's crushed out of existence. One alternative to dumping it down the volcano is to crush it under a lowering ( non-retractable) bridge. Also works on magma-safe goods. Look up dwarven atom smasher on the wiki.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 12:04:18 pm »

Curiously, bridges do not seem to fling things in ballistic arcs but rather throw them sideways with great force.

Specifically, objects flung by bridges move in straight lines until they hit something or run out of momentum.  Then those objects fall straight down at a constant speed.

If there's nowhere to fling an item then it's crushed out of existence.

Not quite correct.  When a raising bridge raises, one side of the bridge becomes a wall.  Any items on the tiles that become a wall are crushed, regardless of whether there's anywhere for them to be flung.  Objects on the rest of the bridge are flung.  When a raising bridge lowers, any objects in the way are simply crushed.  Retracting bridges, on the other hand, never crush objects, even if there's nowhere for them to be flung.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2