Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Copper > Adamantium  (Read 3146 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Copper > Adamantium
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 11:33:32 am »

a dagger is the second most dangerous weapon in the game. The first being scourges/whips. Neither can be produced by your dwarves.
I've fixed the dagger thing at some point. Whips are next on my list.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 12:54:42 pm »

a dagger is the second most dangerous weapon in the game. The first being scourges/whips. Neither can be produced by your dwarves.
Dwarves have something worse than either of those: picks. The limb severingness of an axe, the armor penetratingness of a spear, and the raw, bone-crushing power of a hammer... all rolled into one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:41:30 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 03:45:47 pm »

Dwarves have something worse than either of those: picks. The limb severingness of an axe, the armor penetratingness of a spear, and the raw, bone-crushing power of a hammer... all rolled into one.

But it isn't as good at dismemberment as an axe, at piercing like a spear and doesn't have the crushing power of a hammer :P

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 04:15:43 pm »

But it isn't as good at dismemberment as an axe, at piercing like a spear and doesn't have the crushing power of a hammer :P
You've never used picks as weapons, have you?
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 04:21:15 pm »

You've never used picks as weapons, have you?

I've trained 7 legendary miners, and even tried training a miner to legendary without ever having dug a single stone out :)
Legendary anything = Pure and simple ownage. But a pick is a jack of all trades, and the deadliness tends to come from the miners themselves :P

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 04:29:06 pm »

that would explain my last 5 forts having a stable population of upper arm amputees

... I can just imagine armless Dwarves running around, leaping onto enemies and biting them, and surgically implanting picks into their heads so they can mine by banging their heads into the walls.

Death squad HFS exterminaters?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 05:16:53 pm »

Would it be possible to mod in spaulders or pauldrons to protect dwarves' upper arms? (Like gloves, but for shoulders?)
It's very easy to mod breastplates.  Open the raws, and find the file armor.txt or armor_shirt.txt it's something like that, you'll recognize it.  Find the entry for breastplates, and it should have a line that says [UPSTEP:1] or [UBSTEP:0] or something like that.  Add 1 to it, I can't remember if it's a 0 or 1 but change it to 1 or 2 respectively to cover the upper arms.  If you look up the mail shirt in the same file, you'll notice that it has an ubstep of 1 and a lbstep of 1 (maybe, I'm making up words at this point).  This means that a mail shirt will actually protect the upper legs as well, I believe, and the upper arms.

Comparatively, the breastplate is a solid metal bra, and chainmail shirt is more of a large nightshirt.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 05:28:49 pm »

ADAMANTINE. IT'S ADAMANTINE.  RAWWWRRR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamant

It can be either.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Adamantium

I raise your wiki.
Adamant, adamantite, adamantine, adamantium, it's all the same to me! except it's better when it's blue

Anyway, if I had the choice between upper arm protection and a shield, I'd take the shield. Shields aren't shields, they're forcefields enhanced by the skill of the user.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 05:38:02 pm »

Anyway, if I had the choice between upper arm protection and a shield, I'd take the shield. Shields aren't shields, they're forcefields enhanced by the skill of the user.

Forcefields which can be used to smash in skulls.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 06:22:12 pm »

Forcefields which can be used to smash in skulls.

--> Forcefields.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 12:06:30 am »

I save silver whips for use in weapon traps, good plan, or some hidden flaw?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 12:20:12 am »

Adventurers might get gibbed when visiting... Otherwise no :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 12:20:35 am »

Good plan - blunt strikes rarely pierce, so you won't get many jammed traps at all.  Plus they're lightsabers, and those are always nice to have in your traps.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 12:21:40 am »

Yeah, a hauberk is going to provide coverage from shoulder to knee, and cover the arms at least to the elbow, if not the wrist.  A breastplate, on the other hand, protects just as it is named - a plate covering the breast (and possibly stomach area, depending on design).

Are there more pieces of plate armor in the game than the breast-plate?  I haven't had the luck or inclination so far to get a fort far enough to have found out through first hand experience (I really need to make chain for my current fort ... but at least half of teh militia have leather armor this time).

I don't use weapon traps ... but if I did, silver lightsabers whips sounds like an excellent choice. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 06:20:54 am »

I tent to just spam giant serrated discs for traps. The 3 hits apiece is appealing.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: 1 [2] 3