Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Copper > Adamantium  (Read 3147 times)

mikelon

Copper > Adamantium
« on: December 31, 2011, 06:44:25 am »

Okay

So in my current fort i had a very nice column of adamantium that went very deep.

So i fully equipped my dwarfs with adamantium uniforms. With the exception of blunt weapons for some they had the best masterwork armor. One dwarf- my commander dwarf Urist McOneeye(mining accident) even was equipped with legendary adamantium gloves and greaves.

Along comes a Master Goblin Thief that gets knocked unconcious by a miner and gets trapped in a cage. Alright i said, training time i set him up in the barracks with a lever rigged to the cage. I didnt bother to disarm the master thief so maybe what was to come is my fault.

I locked the door, urist Mcuseless pulls the lever, and i survey the goblin has he dismembers THREE of my adamantium clad dwarfs and lops off arms and legs off another two before being dispatched. I look at the goblins corpse and he was using a copper dagger.

My dwarfs were all dabbling armor users, but still you would think that a copper dagger couldnt penetrate adamantium.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Copper > Adamantium
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 06:57:32 am »

what were they wearing on thier upper body? Breastplates dont coverarms, and gauntlets only really do lower arms. You need a mail shirt to cover upper arms.
This is a blank sig.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:58:38 am »

Daggers are ridiculously good at penetrating armour, to the point that armour is useless against a stab from them.

Also, what torso armour do your dwarves wear - breastplates or mail shirts? It doesn't seem to be widely known that, while breastplates provide superior protection, they don't protect the upper arms like mail shirts, and AFAIK there is no armour that does. SO unless your dwarves are wearing both, you might get quite a few upper arms severed.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:00:08 am »

Check the combat reports and see what he hit and how?
Could be he got really lucky, or maybe he just hit bits that weren't covered by the armour. if your dwarves had exposed shins or something like that, he could have hit them there..

Otherwise, adamantium, even on a poor armour user, should stop most copper (or otherwise) bladed weapons most of the time.

mikelon

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:03:29 am »

yes i was using breastplates

never knew the difference between them and mail shirts. Learn something new everyday, that would explain my last 5 forts having a stable population of upper arm amputees

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:53:40 am »

Also, it is uncommon knowledge that in DF, a dagger is the second most dangerous weapon in the game. The first being scourges/whips. Neither can be produced by your dwarves.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 07:54:40 am »

that would explain my last 5 forts having a stable population of upper arm amputees

... I can just imagine armless Dwarves running around, leaping onto enemies and biting them, and surgically implanting picks into their heads so they can mine by banging their heads into the walls.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 08:55:10 am »

Here's a handly list of armour to equip on all of your dwarfs:
Head
2 metal caps
1 helm
6 hood

Upper Body
1 breastplate
3 mail shirts
6 cloaks

Lower Body
2 trousers
1 greaves

Hands
1 pair of gauntlets
1 pair of mittens

Feet
1 pair of socks
1 pair of high boots
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 09:11:21 am »

Would it be possible to mod in spaulders or pauldrons to protect dwarves' upper arms? (Like gloves, but for shoulders?)
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 09:14:10 am »

I was under the impression you could make a uniform tell dorfs to equip both a plate and a mail shirt.

Also daggers are Infinity -1 weapons. Scourges/whips are the Infinity+1 vorpal weapons.

Also armour use skill and dodging is neccessary for a good fighter, just having candy isn't enough.

The thief master would likely have had superior skills with his dagger and dodging.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 09:38:26 am »

I was under the impression you could make a uniform tell dorfs to equip both a plate and a mail shirt.

Also daggers are Infinity -1 weapons. Scourges/whips are the Infinity+1 vorpal weapons.

Also armour use skill and dodging is neccessary for a good fighter, just having candy isn't enough.

The thief master would likely have had superior skills with his dagger and dodging.
He/She could have also have been born with "Supergoblin strength"
or He's/She's a ninja....
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 09:39:34 am »

He/She could have also have been born with "Supergoblin strength"
or He's/She's a ninja....

Eitherway, Urist McAdamantine was FUCKED
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:12:19 am »

ADAMANTINE. IT'S ADAMANTINE.  RAWWWRRR

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 10:15:48 am »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Pages: [1] 2 3