Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remote DF (Android & RDP)  (Read 1442 times)

Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remote DF (Android & RDP)
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:57:55 pm »

This is probably a longshot, but I'm trying to play DF from an Android tablet via RDP, but control problems are driving me nuts. I have used 2 separate clients so far; Pocketcloud and Splashtop, and in both cases most of the keypresses are interpreted by DF as Escape (confirmed via the key bindings screen) rendering the game completely unplayable.

DF is the only application I've encountered that exhibits this strange and irritating behaviour. VNC was less problematic in that more (but not all) keys were functional, but performance was terrible with each of the four clients that I tested. I considered Dfterm briefly, but the lack of tileset support is a deal-breaker for me.

Any suggestions?

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remote DF (Android & RDP)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:06:13 pm »

make your own

Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:08:58 pm »

make your own

That doesn't even make sense, but thanks for playing.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:28:32 am »

Change the bindings.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:58:05 am »

Change the bindings.

For some reason, most keys return ESC in the binding screen. I can rebind the five or so keys that do register correctly, but there aren't enough of them to play with. I get the same results on two different tablets, both running Android honeycomb.

I'll try to find out what key codes are being sent from the client, but I've used many games, browsers and text editors without any problems, so it's odd that DF is the sole exception.

I'll mess around with interface.txt, but I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause.  :(

Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 02:31:04 am »

Success  :)

Dwarf Fortress doesn't like taking input from the Android keyboard. The solution is to use the rdp clients integrated keyboard. Finding a client with a comfortable keyboard layout is another issue entirely, but I have things working now, more or less.