Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 751669 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10500 on: December 29, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »

Unfortunately, the election is as far away as possible, and for a reason. The electorate will have forgotten about this come 2014.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55:34 pm »

Unfortunately, the election is as far away as possible, and for a reason. The electorate will have forgotten about this come 2014.
Not if the dems kep it alive, and more importantly, if the economy tanks, people will remember who exactly did it.

As long as the dems learned their mistakes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #10502 on: December 29, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »

Fiscal cliff diving, weee!

Also, now suggesting topic title descriptor be changed to: Its Never Over.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: December 29, 2012, 08:31:37 pm »

Dallas? That is not the city that has "keep Austin weird" as its motto.

Blame the Dallas suburbs. They're so conservative it hurts. There were people actually supporting Santorum here.

As a result, my vote in the election was mostly wasted.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: December 29, 2012, 08:36:15 pm »

Do all liberal cities in conservative states have this motto? Louisville has it all over the place.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: December 29, 2012, 11:54:44 pm »

Do all liberal cities in conservative states have this motto? Louisville has it all over the place.

See above. Dallas doesn't tout this motto. And, as far as I know, Austin started the motto. History.

College Station, in response, has started the motto "Keep College Station Normal". San Antonio jumped on the bandwagon and has "Keep San Antonio Lame", a poke at how the city is somewhat of a tourist trap.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: December 31, 2012, 09:07:38 am »

Happy Fiscal Cliff Day! Any bets on whether or not some kind of halfassed compromise gets pulled out at the 11th hour?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: December 31, 2012, 11:56:07 am »

With the way the GOP is stonewalling like the Chin Dynasty against the Mongols(or something to that effect)?  Haha no
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: December 31, 2012, 12:00:02 pm »

With the way the GOP is stonewalling like the Chin Dynasty against the Mongols(or something to that effect)?  Haha no
You know, the Mongols DID eventually conquer China. ;)

There's buzz that a lot of the substantive disagreements have either been settled or put aside for now, and it's just coming down to haggling over the numbers. Interesting part would be if the Senate manages to hash out some kind of ugly compromise, sends it to the House, and then enough Tea Party types reject it. Might be the last gasp of the Tea Party if they're pretty much single-handedly the ones that send us over the cliff.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: December 31, 2012, 05:38:21 pm »

By the way, the cliff doesn't have any effect on the debt, right? So a deal fails to go through, China won't get pissed off?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: December 31, 2012, 05:45:03 pm »

By the way, the cliff doesn't have any effect on the debt, right? So a deal fails to go through, China won't get pissed off?

Actually, the cliff would result in a large repayment of America's debt. The 'Cliff' represents a huge set of tax cuts and spending programs that would expire, drastically increasing the amount of money available to pay off the deficit.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: December 31, 2012, 08:03:56 pm »

China doesn't buy treasury notes out of the kindness of their hearts, they buy them to affect the exchange rate.

It looks like there is going to be a fiscal cliff deal by January 3rd that basically erases the entire sequester and extends most of the tax cuts (rates revert to Clinton on personal income above $400k and capital tax rates go from 15% to 20%.)  Current spending and tax levels are extended for five years for most stuff but only 1 year for unemployment insurance (a pity since that is the most efficient stimulus).

If my read of the situation is correct then my hopeful prediction from a few weeks ago seems correct.  Basically congress erased the sequester fully without any austerity.  Economically that's good news.  Without austerity dragging us down the economic indicators for 2013 are quite positive.  2013 should be the year that the real recovery starts.

I'm not too worried about the deficit or inequality implications.  To solve the deficit long term we want to get back to full employment so cuts right now are mostly (but not universally) unproductive long term.  And if the economy does well for the next 4 years we can look forward to the next democratic president having a mandate to finally tackle inequality seeing as the economy will have been recovered by then.

Of course all of this is dependent on what happens with the debt ceiling.  If Obama stands firm on his promise to not negotiate and demand that the republicans do their goddamn job without a ransom then he is a strategic genius.  If he caves and gives in to their hostage taking this deal suddenly looks pretty bad.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:08:40 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: December 31, 2012, 08:12:11 pm »

The Fiscal cliff is the equivalent of cutting ourselves to pour a cup, then selling our blood to the chinese while they look on in horror, and STILL not having enough to be debt-free.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 714