Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 752836 times)

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9225 on: November 11, 2012, 07:17:14 pm »

The solution is find 3 sites that lean slightly to the left and right and deduce from there. Being aware of the true nature of things isn't easy, It requires work to be learned.

How do you know where "slightly to the left and right" are.

Perhaps (for example) NPR is actually slightly to the right.  And Mother Jones slightly to the right. 
Fox (via it's tagline) claims to be centrist.

Additionally, as the daily show has indicated many a time; the news media tends to have a herd mentality and they keep stampeding after idiocracy -- such as in the Trayvon Maartin case when the POLICE asked about Travon's race, and the NEWS just reported about how he was said to be black.  It made Zimmerman look like a raving racist (without any proof) and the story kept there for months until NBC confessed to cutting that part of the tape.  [I am not excusing Zimmerman's actions or anything, just saying that when he called Trayvon black, it was a response to the police questions.]
So, whether or not you go left or right has nothing to do with reality.

Finally the right has a strong tendancy to be anti-science *(ot that the Left neccesarily is as pro science as they may think).  But if 99% (or more) of climate experts believe that pollution has a negative effect on the environment including hurricane production, averaging the position on the Right of "NANANA NOT LISTENING" does not make one informed.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: November 11, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »

I believe the average rightwing position on the environment is more like "You mean all that is happening because of us? That does sound serio-wait, what's that glittering over there? Money? Oh, I have never seen such a wonderful thing! How can I have more of it?" or thereabouts.

The above statement is not at all shaped by bias or cynicism.
Love, scriver~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: November 11, 2012, 08:47:14 pm »

The solution is find 3 sites that lean slightly to the left and right and deduce from there. Being aware of the true nature of things isn't easy, It requires work to be learned.

How do you know where "slightly to the left and right" are.

Perhaps (for example) NPR is actually slightly to the right.  And Mother Jones slightly to the right. 
Fox (via it's tagline) claims to be centrist.

Additionally, as the daily show has indicated many a time; the news media tends to have a herd mentality and they keep stampeding after idiocracy -- such as in the Trayvon Maartin case when the POLICE asked about Travon's race, and the NEWS just reported about how he was said to be black.  It made Zimmerman look like a raving racist (without any proof) and the story kept there for months until NBC confessed to cutting that part of the tape.  [I am not excusing Zimmerman's actions or anything, just saying that when he called Trayvon black, it was a response to the police questions.]
So, whether or not you go left or right has nothing to do with reality.

Finally the right has a strong tendancy to be anti-science *(ot that the Left neccesarily is as pro science as they may think).  But if 99% (or more) of climate experts believe that pollution has a negative effect on the environment including hurricane production, averaging the position on the Right of "NANANA NOT LISTENING" does not make one informed.

[unbiased] It means sampling alot. The things I read state that the vast majority of scientists believe in Global warming, ergo it is more likely to be true.

I generally never read a single source for news, (although I do commonly read the New york times for foreign policy, which there is little of elsewhere, and the New York times is thought to have a slight liberal Bias so. I also read Politico alot, but that is of course limited solely to politics) One must be constantly on the look out ad seraching in various sources for such things. Example: Most republican and right-leaning works believed republican polling that Romney and Obama were tied, if not Romney being far ahead, While moderate and left-leaning news pointed out mostpublic surveys and democratic models saying Obama had a slight lead, which turned out to be the case. Ergo, in this situation the right was wrong.[/unbiased]

[biased] I must say I am enjoying watching confused repulicans attempt to explain away the ridiculously wrong polling. All of a sudden Mitt dragged down everyone by "collapsing into the last week" when republican pieces of the time extolled his momentum.[/biased]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:54:23 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: November 11, 2012, 09:55:05 pm »

I believe the average rightwing position on the environment is more like "You mean all that is happening because of us? That does sound serio-wait, what's that glittering over there? Money? Oh, I have never seen such a wonderful thing! How can I have more of it?" or thereabouts.

The above statement is not at all shaped by bias or cynicism.
Don't forget "We'll be fine, the Bible says humanity is supposed to exploit Earth, don't you know? If anything goes wrong Jesus will save us."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9229 on: November 11, 2012, 10:06:44 pm »

Has there ever been a case of someone actually expressing that view? I've never seen one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9230 on: November 11, 2012, 10:10:54 pm »

Has there ever been a case of someone actually expressing that view? I've never seen one.

I've seen it a LOT. I've even heard people say that it is best to use up the earth as fast as possible, because when it is all used up, BAM! rapture.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: November 11, 2012, 10:17:02 pm »

I've seen it a LOT. I've even heard people say that it is best to use up the earth as fast as possible, because when it is all used up, BAM! rapture.
Yes, no one seems to think "Wait, what about Greed? Gluttony? Envy?"

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: November 11, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »

Some of the positions I have seen some people give:

* Climate Change scientists are evil.
* Science is evil.
* God will fix it/Won't let it happen/It can't happen (because God).
* Communists/UN/NWO/Illuminati/Freemasons, or something.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: November 11, 2012, 10:47:54 pm »

The two semi-rational right wing positions:

1: the economic cost of the measures to stop/prevent global warming isn't worth it.
2: Global warming is good because Canada and Siberia will become habitable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: November 11, 2012, 10:51:06 pm »

Those aren't rational at all.  The economic cost is nothing compared to the collapse we will suffer if action is not taken. Canada and Siberia might become swimming pool country, but their ecosystems will have collapsed.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: November 11, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »

That is why I said semi-rational. It isn't an appeal to an article of faith or grandstanding opposition to anything remotely liberal.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: November 12, 2012, 12:01:52 am »

Some of the positions I have seen some people give:
* Science is evil.

[supervillain rant]
It occurs to me that if science is going to be tarred as evil whether it is on not (and on top of that the people who insist that science is "just another belief system") then somebody should just take that and run with it. Someone needs to show them that we can be just as petty as they are.

Several years ago, while listening to a news report about controversy surrounding removing the life support from some person or another it occurred to me that we now have the technology to build our own place of eternal punishment.; Right here; On Earth; a place where we could incarcerate all who believe that they will be rewarded in the next world for their petty and small-minded actions. They won't be conscious to experience the majority of this punishment, but that isn't important, what's important is precluding the reward they believe that they will receive in the next world (whether of not that next world exists {although putting this system in place becomes especially important if the next world does exist; As the right is so fond of pointing out, we should not be beholden to the judgement and sovereignty of a foreign power})
[/supervillain rant]
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: November 12, 2012, 12:02:57 am »

No, the first one can be a perfectly rational argument.

The economic cost for the United States to take environmentally sound position X is not worth it, primarily because (fill in your blank here)

A) No one's actually sure what the best solution is, investing in current solar technology on a large scale is a bit of a fools errand
B) The rest of the world (*cough* exempt developing countries *cough*) isn't going to make these kinda limitations, nor follow them
C) Helping the environment in the long term by a few fractions of a percent isn't worth the short term negatives on people.

I mean, anti-science is a pretty crappy mindset, but that doesn't mean that forging ahead with whatever Popular Mechanic's last cover story is a good idea either, you know? (Here's to you E coli produced gas)

Also, I know that this got passed up a full page ago, but I'd like to note that there's perfectly good a reasonable reasonings to not like the UN, namely that it's a toothless, spineless, bloated bureaucracy with a proven record being pretty bad at almost everything, as well as having a proven track record of trying to hold the 1st world, especially the US, to a different standard of everyone else.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9238 on: November 12, 2012, 12:22:16 am »

No, the first one can be a perfectly rational argument.

The economic cost for the United States to take environmentally sound position X is not worth it, primarily because (fill in your blank here)

A) No one's actually sure what the best solution is, investing in current solar technology on a large scale is a bit of a fools errand.
We know exactly what we need to do, Strife. The problem is flooding the atmosphere with C02, destabilizing Earth's climate. The solution is replacing major C02 sources with non-C02 sources and reversing the deprivation of Earth's plant life.

Solar is most definitely not a fools errand, and neither is wind. Replacing existing sources with them is a process, but it is a necessary process that we must take. Now. We must take it now because taking it later will do us little good. Even if C02 emissions were reduced to zero right now, on November 12th, 2012, we will still have accumulated two degrees of warming by 2050. Prevention is easier and better than curing the disasters we will face if nothing is done.
B) The rest of the world (*cough* exempt developing countries *cough*) isn't going to make these kinda limitations, nor follow them.
Very soon, it will be the more economical choice to protect the environment. We are not divorced from Earth's ecosystem, and its collapse will not benefit our civilization. Right now, coal and oil are only so cheap because the the government is propping them up. Without these mass subsidies we would all see just how "economical" this stuff is. The rest of the world will fall in line, one way or another.
C) Helping the environment in the long term by a few fractions of a percent isn't worth the short term negatives on people.
Right now, due to unregulated hydraulic fracturing and fractional distillation operations in the United States, there are entire towns of people slowly accumulating permanent brain damage and living with poisonous, explosive tap water. There are toxic lakes of runoff where not even bacteria can live and mountains blown in half. In places where there are nearby coal plants the asthma rate for schoolchildren goes from 1 in 30 to as high as 1 in 2. And I think I need not remind you of how well our deepwater drilling has gone.

The idea that we'll have to suffer to make some minimal gains for the environment is fiction, disseminated by those who built their fortunes exploiting Earth. Protecting the environment protects us, because we life off of it and inside of it.

We aren't talking about just saving a couple of species, Strife. When one part of our ecosystem goes, the rest has to adapt in unexpected ways or also die. If we don't do anything to mitigate this projections indicate seven degrees of warming and over three meters of sea level rise. New York City and most of the state of Florida will be permanently underwater under those conditions, and most life on Earth will go extinct. Humanity is unlikely to fare well in such a state. In the best case scenario in which we do nothing, Earth's population will be reduced to about one billion as modern agriculture fails. This is of course assuming that no one picks up guns and starts shooting at people to protect/acquire food supplies, which we both know isn't going to be the case.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:25:04 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: November 12, 2012, 12:31:17 am »

I'd just like to butt in as a member of the city hit by the largest (In size), lowest pressure, and second costlest atlantic hurricane EVER, if you don't pay for it now, you will later.
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 714