Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753434 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9030 on: November 08, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »

Honestly I would have voted for King Radical if my ballot had that option.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: November 08, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »

No "insert name here" option?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: November 08, 2012, 01:32:29 pm »

No "insert name here" option?

I voted early and I didn't see one on the ballot (Ohio).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: November 08, 2012, 01:32:59 pm »

Well, no. But it's no great leap of logic to think that a proper college education, with exposure to history, art, science, (i.e. the liberal arts) as well as being in close contact and forming friendships with a variety of people from different backgrounds, does have an effect of broadening one's outlook. At least, until they move back home. I've seen a fair number of folks from my high school who got college edumacated, but once they moved back to Podunkville, turned right back into closed-minded bigots. Lot easier to do that when the people around you agree.

So they abruptly forgot their edumacation when they moved back? Lol. Either it's the education or it's the social environment. And you just said that it wasn't the education. What you mean is that people conform to their peer groups. Roundabout way of confirming that it has nothing to do with education proper and more to do with seeking approval of peer groups, but yeah.
A fair point. So then liberal peer groups encourage seeking more education? While conservative peer groups encourage....what, more Biblefication? Or maybe they shun education because they "know with their gut"?
((Turning the thing around. The education is quite clearly skewed to the liberals, meaning that anyone who goes there (and because those things are college graduations, are often temporaly torn out of their normal environement.) gets seriously influenced. ))

That's a secondary problem the politics of the United states is that they are strongly interwoven with religion, at least in some states. The uneducated and poor vote mostly for the Republicans, because their local priest says so*. Meanwhile, Obama's policies would clearly be better for them. Same happens in the other direction too.

* This by no means implies that religious people are uneducated, or that uneducated people are more religious.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: November 08, 2012, 01:33:40 pm »

Well that's rubbish. How are the Dems and Reps supposed to deny each other votes if people can't whimsically vote whoever they want to?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: November 08, 2012, 01:39:52 pm »

Yeah, kind of odd how the best educated are 90% democrat. Especially since the republicans are the adherents to Free Market systems, a intellectual invention from the enlightenment!

I'm guessing that at least right now it's because the Reps are so conflated with religion and educated people have a much higher tendancy to be athiest, I'm guessing because of Empiricism.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9036 on: November 08, 2012, 01:42:53 pm »

Yea, I doubt most of us voted Obama. Obama just isn't liberal enough. I've already heard other people mention they voted for Stein or Johnson.

The only reason I voted for Obama was that I live in Florida and the idea of Romney in the whitehouse is horrific.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:54 pm »

Even eldritch Kithulhu is afraid. It's never been as official, the American voting system is a horror beyond our imagination's imagination.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:54 pm »

Well, no. But it's no great leap of logic to think that a proper college education, with exposure to history, art, science, (i.e. the liberal arts) as well as being in close contact and forming friendships with a variety of people from different backgrounds, does have an effect of broadening one's outlook. At least, until they move back home. I've seen a fair number of folks from my high school who got college edumacated, but once they moved back to Podunkville, turned right back into closed-minded bigots. Lot easier to do that when the people around you agree.

So they abruptly forgot their edumacation when they moved back? Lol. Either it's the education or it's the social environment. And you just said that it wasn't the education. What you mean is that people conform to their peer groups. Roundabout way of confirming that it has nothing to do with education proper and more to do with seeking approval of peer groups, but yeah.
A fair point. So then liberal peer groups encourage seeking more education? While conservative peer groups encourage....what, more Biblefication? Or maybe they shun education because they "know with their gut"?
The uneducated and poor vote mostly for the Republicans, because their local priest says so*.
Interesting take, considering the Republican standard talking point is that most of Obama's supporters are the lazy, uneducated poor. They're only *led* by us America-hating, college-educated effete liberal scum.

FWIW, I voted Obama on the off-chance he could pull out North Carolina. I'm not as disappointed with him as I was say, a year ago. He's liberal enough for me (especially since I'm not a Democrat or a granola liberal)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: November 08, 2012, 01:49:03 pm »

Yeah, kind of odd how the best educated are 90% democrat. Especially since the republicans are the adherents to Free Market systems, a intellectual invention from the enlightenment!

I'm guessing that at least right now it's because the Reps are so conflated with religion and educated people have a much higher tendency to be athiest, I'm guessing because of Empiricism.
It might have something to do with the history of those states too. Don't know my US history well enough to make any conclusions, but I expect that this has some serious influences.

I won't be saying entirely atheist, but there's a far lower percentage of evangelists/ fundies/ fundamentalists among the higher educated classes. Mostly because of an often antireligious environement, but also because education indeeds learns reasoning, which prevents you from failing in the (false) logic traps that those types of religion rely on.

Yea, I doubt most of us voted Obama. Obama just isn't liberal enough. I've already heard other people mention they voted for Stein or Johnson.

The only reason I voted for Obama was that I live in Florida and the idea of Romney in the whitehouse is horrific.
Well, the far right parties in Belgium are probably more liberal than Obama.

On a side note, how comes the Republicans control the House of whatever it's called anyway.

Mostly's probably a misnomer, but you'd probably have at least some effects.

Also, can someone procure some demographic statistics and voting tendencies.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: November 08, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »

FWIW, I voted Obama on the off-chance he could pull out North Carolina. I'm not as disappointed with him as I was say, a year ago. He's liberal enough for me (especially since I'm not a Democrat or a granola liberal)
I voted Obama for the same reason, though he isn't liberal enough for me. His Supreme Court appointees will probably be, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: November 08, 2012, 01:56:18 pm »

Hmm...the Very Rich tend to be Republican, since they're the ones that most republican policies actually help out. I wonder how much of the Republican base follows them because they are Super Rich, and therefore know how to be successful. America does tend to treat wealth as if it were nobility.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: November 08, 2012, 01:59:29 pm »

It's not that they're seeking education more. Your friends apparently were "bigots" before, then became so again. That also must imply that they wanted and found value in education before being liberal, right?

I'd say liberal peer groups form during and after the education, because that's where a lot of conservatives are converted by peer and authority pressure alike. Have you ever had to write a conservative-sounding paper because you knew your teacher was a fire-breathing ideologue who'd mark down a reasoned liberal-sounding paper? Conservatives have this all the time. I had two professor where I just didn't feel comfortable writing my own opinions, so I had to think like a liberal. Some bend and snap back into place, some bend and never snap back, and some break and get the bad mark. That's how it goes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: November 08, 2012, 02:05:13 pm »

I can't relate. I never had to write a politically-influenced paper for any of my classes. I assume this is a "classes outside of STEM" thing?

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: November 08, 2012, 02:07:45 pm »

I'm guessing that at least right now it's because the Reps are so conflated with religion and educated people have a much higher tendancy to be athiest, I'm guessing because of Empiricism.

I'm atheist, but it has no reflection on education levels in general. There was a Pew poll about this in 2005 or so, and atheists were no more likely to be educated than religious people.

And want to be super well-educated? Stop being such an atheist, and get right with the Lord. Or more accurately, the Lords. Ganesha, for example, and Vishnu and Shiva. According to American demographics, the way to instantly become a post-grad in your field is to convert to Hinduism.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 714