Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 752254 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7455 on: October 29, 2012, 09:36:23 pm »

Yes, I think people will read it like that. Hunters are not stupid, they understand how the life cycle of an ecosystem functions and the consequences of both over and under hunting.

Even if the vast majority of hunters are smart all it takes is a few idiots to ruin things.  Here in Maryland the watermen fished the oysters to the brink of extinction before they finally got over their resentment about big guvmint.  The result is that they devastated the population and their livelyhood was gone.  A lot of them saw what was happening and wanted to fix the problem before it was too late but not all of them.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: October 30, 2012, 03:37:34 am »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: October 30, 2012, 08:00:40 am »

Relevant.

Not only can you still get the gist of what he's talking about, I recognize that part of the speech.

I still have no fucking idea where Peoria is.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: October 30, 2012, 08:06:21 am »

I still have no fucking idea where Peoria is.

It's one of the larger cities in Illinois.  No, I didn't look that up.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: October 30, 2012, 08:58:38 am »

Surprisingly, multiple election projections have moved North Carolina back into the battleground state category. Romney's polling advantage has dropped from a nearly 8-point lead a week or two ago to within MoE. Admittedly, the Obama campaign has been running a radio ad blitz the last week or so. Looks like it might be working.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: October 30, 2012, 09:17:14 am »

I thought Utah was the most conservative?

Let me put it this way. I work for a bunch of guys from Texas who I fly out to run an auction with on regular basis.

We got held up in the air over the airport when we were flying in because a "VIP" was on the runway.

When we were telling those guys about being held up for a VIP, the immediate, unflinching response was "Who, the nigger?"

I'm not going to paint all of Texas with the same brush because of a few people, but it's been many years since passing acquaintances have busted out blatant racism in casual conversation to me. So. God bless the great state of Texas, or something. I can't wait til Latinos become really important again in politics so I can start hearing about "spics" and "wetbacks" and can be like "Oh, you mean my people?"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:19:02 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:01 am »

I thought "spics" were Italians? Or does it cover all latino - no, wait, I get it - hiSPanICS. What does "wetback" even mean, though? That doesn't make sense. That they're supposed to be sweaty?

Also, when those days comes, I look very much forward to you telling us about all the awesomely awkward (for the other guys) conversations ;)
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:59 am »

Wetbacks are like FOBs that had to swim to shore, I think.

Edit: Nope, looked it up. It's a reference to field workers who did, in fact, have sweaty backs from working in the sun all day.

Edit 2: It actually goes back even /further/ as a reference to swimming. It was used against "escaped slaves" then, though. Who knows if it influenced modern usage... wouldn't be super surprising.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:33:03 am by GlyphGryph »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: October 30, 2012, 10:38:04 am »

Wetback refers mostly to the fact that the Rio Grande river runs along a large swath of the US-Mexican border. Hence the notion that any illegal immigrants had to swim across the river.

Used to be more true, because the idea of going through the Sonora Desert instead was insane. The slur for Italians was (don't hear it used much anymore) "dago", which is apparently an old slur for Spaniards, being a corruption of "Diego". No idea how that got transferred to Italians.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: October 30, 2012, 10:50:06 am »

Wetback refers mostly to the fact that the Rio Grande river runs along a large swath of the US-Mexican border. Hence the notion that any illegal immigrants had to swim across the river.

Used to be more true, because the idea of going through the Sonora Desert instead was insane. The slur for Italians was (don't hear it used much anymore) "dago", which is apparently an old slur for Spaniards, being a corruption of "Diego". No idea how that got transferred to Italians.

Probably because 'muricans can't be arsed to tell the difference.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: October 30, 2012, 10:53:30 am »

Meh, they're all swarthy southern Mediterranean people. Greeks, Italians, Spanish, Portuguese....same diff. ;)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: October 30, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »

If i may ask, what happened next Nenjin?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: October 30, 2012, 01:13:54 pm »

I'm going to guess "They pulled out pistols and shot randomly in the air while yelling 'AMERRRRRICA FUCK YEAHHHHH!!!' "

And then shit out red, white and blue eagles.

Spoiler: Meanwhile... (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: October 30, 2012, 01:29:28 pm »

If i may ask, what happened next Nenjin?

Nothing. When you're surrounded by conservative Republicans who obviously have contempt for black people, and you've got to spend the next 2 days with them in a truck probably 1/4 the size of a bedroom, it's generally not the best time to start having arguments about politics and racial epitaphs. This isn't the first time they've uh, let their true colors show. I don't know if it's because they think we agree with them or they simply don't give a fuck about our political leanings vs. theirs....but yeah. This isn't the first time they've thrown the n-word around in my presence or said really hateful, tinfoil hat-wearing Republican shit.

I've grown up around this degree of racism basically my whole life, so I kind of know how to roll with it. It kinda sucks, they're fun guys in general. But their politics remind exactly how far apart we actually are. And in some cases, being on the swarthy side of white myself, makes me wonder what else they say when I'm not around.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: October 30, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »

I thought as much. I wish you luck, and better acquaintances. Also, effective law enforcement.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 714