Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753115 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7260 on: October 25, 2012, 05:49:50 pm »

So, running for president is like herding cats.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: October 25, 2012, 06:39:32 pm »

Best way to vote in America is to buy a one-way ticket to Japan.

Urgh, don't do that. It's election season here, too. Every damn day there are vans with speakers on top blaring out why you should vote for a given candidate; they are really bloody loud, and you can hear them for ages, because they drive down each and every one of the thousands of crisscrossing streets in a 1 mile radius. >_>
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:38 pm »

I'm in California and I've already cast my vote for Jill Stein. Have a little courage. Realize that frankly Romney isn't going to achieve anything anyway, since the congress will still be mired in bickering.

I'm sorry but were you awake during the bush years?

Presidents have a lot more power in reality then they do on paper.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: October 25, 2012, 07:00:01 pm »

Like....what? Regardless of Bush's actual actions, he didn't overstep his given powers in doing them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: October 25, 2012, 07:01:25 pm »

Were you awake during the Bush years? Most of his worse policies were the fault of congress. He may have wanted them, but it's hard to say they were really his fault.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: October 25, 2012, 07:06:13 pm »

Control of congress is probably more important.

But you really need the president and congress to work together for things to be good. And that's been a problem the last four years since the republican controlled house (is the senate also?) pretty much just voted anything the president agrees with down as soon as it gets in the door.

Then they turn around and say the president hasn't delivered. Well no shit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: October 25, 2012, 07:11:26 pm »

And then they criticize him for trying to be a "liberal Reagan" who would have bipartisan successes, because that doesn't work, because Obama doesn't deliver, because the Republican House is stubborn and won't let anything pass.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: October 25, 2012, 07:29:56 pm »

They won't even let him pass things they themselves have proposed, simply because they don't want it to look like he's accomplished something.

It's not a great situation.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: October 25, 2012, 07:37:57 pm »

I'm in California and I've already cast my vote for Jill Stein. Have a little courage. Realize that frankly Romney isn't going to achieve anything anyway, since the congress will still be mired in bickering.

Besides, you know, appointing more conservative judges to the supreme court.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: October 25, 2012, 08:50:51 pm »

Best way to vote in America is to buy a one-way ticket to Japan.

Urgh, don't do that. It's election season here, too. Every damn day there are vans with speakers on top blaring out why you should vote for a given candidate; they are really bloody loud, and you can hear them for ages, because they drive down each and every one of the thousands of crisscrossing streets in a 1 mile radius. >_>
Huh. I'm going to try to get stationed in Japan if at all possible when I finally get through Basic training here in the States. How often are elections over there?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: October 25, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »

The most interesting things I know about Japanese politics is that the Liberal Democrats are the Conservatives, the Democrats are the Liberals, and the local far-right nationalists/proto-fascists have the coolest name: The Sunrise Party. There are also some Communists in there somewhere.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: October 25, 2012, 10:32:03 pm »

They won't even let him pass things they themselves have proposed, simply because they don't want it to look like he's accomplished something.

It's not a great situation.
Sometimes... I wish this place was China.  The administration would have eventually said no to the bullshit and started summary executions for being roadblocks to progressa destabilizing force.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: October 25, 2012, 10:35:10 pm »

The administration wouldn't have been progressive in the first place. The problem with enlightened liberal dictatorships is that the people ruling them by definition want to dismantle them.

It takes a special kind of lunatic to seize absolute power and use it for the genuine good of the people.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: October 25, 2012, 10:39:58 pm »

Control of congress is probably more important.

Clinton faced a republican congress and managed to stem the tide of inequality and advance a whole host of liberal social issues.  Reagan had a democratic congress but still started the first round of deficit increasing tax cuts for the rich.

Complete control of congress is vastly more powerful then the presidency but even a strong majority is no where as useful as complete control.  But the White House is always answering to one guy while congressmen bicker with their own parties endlessly.  To really "control" congress you'd need something like the 80% majorities that the New Dealers had.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: October 25, 2012, 10:42:29 pm »

Except the Republican's haven't been bickering lately. They've been marching in lockstep. It's actually pretty impressive. Driving out many of the moderates has certainly helped them.
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 714