Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753118 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7245 on: October 25, 2012, 03:06:40 pm »

When I lived in Mississippi I voted for Ralph Nader. In Florida? not so much.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: October 25, 2012, 03:21:08 pm »

Yep, Colin Powell's pretty much always been that sort of guy. I mean, you can tell he's a good guy by the sheer perfect storm of candidates he'd be, yet he doesn't want to run. I spose if stuff got bad enough, he'd be a pretty good candidate for a Republican realignment.

Yeah, if the Republicans finally began recentralizing after drifting right since 1980, he might be a good candidate for the job.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: October 25, 2012, 03:23:06 pm »

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone:

If you don't live in a swing state, you accomplish far more by voting for a third party candidate than by voting for Obama or Romney. For once, let the electoral college work in your favour, and help a third party candidate inch a wee bit closer to the point where someone might bother talking about them.

By voting for Romney or Obama, you're essentially just throwing away your vote!

I would have agreed a month ago but I'm worried that Obama might lose the popular vote and give republicans new fuels for their whine fests.  I don't want that so I'm voting Obama.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: October 25, 2012, 03:25:47 pm »

Couldn't that be a good thing? We might get bipartisan support for abolishing the electoral college if both sides get burned by it in recent memory.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: October 25, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »

Couldn't that be a good thing? We might get bipartisan support for abolishing the electoral college if both sides get burned by it in recent memory.

Yeah. The Dems got trashed in 2000, and if the Republicans also suffered, it would provide a bipartisan impetus to trash the ridiculous system.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: October 25, 2012, 03:26:57 pm »

But then my plan to drug them all, and elect a monkey for president will be useless.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: October 25, 2012, 03:35:08 pm »

The monkey lost the popular vote but Florida voted it in because it was smarter than the majority of people in the state. :P

I'm voting Obama because I'm afraid all this election Fraud may actually start making Romney a viable candidate.

In other news, this is the first time I've seen 4chan actually think seriously about voting Obama. I'm surprised, given that this is a board where at least one thread is dedicated entirely to racist slurs against black people.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: October 25, 2012, 03:37:12 pm »

George Dubya has already had his 2 terms though. Oh, you mean a different monkey.
This is a blank sig.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: October 25, 2012, 03:48:58 pm »

Because angry conservatives leap to bipartisan aproaches
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: October 25, 2012, 03:51:59 pm »

But I thought only Sith had black-white thinking?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: October 25, 2012, 04:18:18 pm »

Best way to vote in America is to buy a one-way ticket to Japan.

Mutagen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: October 25, 2012, 04:45:17 pm »

But I thought only Sith had black-white thinking?

Absolutism is absolutely wrong! Nothing is black and white, everything is gray, including the black and white that the gray is comprised of!  ???

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7257 on: October 25, 2012, 05:21:22 pm »

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone:

If you don't live in a swing state, you accomplish far more by voting for a third party candidate than by voting for Obama or Romney. For once, let the electoral college work in your favour, and help a third party candidate inch a wee bit closer to the point where someone might bother talking about them.

By voting for Romney or Obama, you're essentially just throwing away your vote!

I would have agreed a month ago but I'm worried that Obama might lose the popular vote and give republicans new fuels for their whine fests.  I don't want that so I'm voting Obama.

I'm in California and I've already cast my vote for Jill Stein. Have a little courage. Realize that frankly Romney isn't going to achieve anything anyway, since the congress will still be mired in bickering.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: October 25, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »

Had an interesting thought today:

The President has little direct control over Laws, since that's congress' responsibility. Sure, he has Veto power, but that only goes so far. And yet, almost everything Presidential candidates talk about doing has to do with new Laws or Changing Laws.

Why don't they talk about all of the changes that they CAN do within the Executive Branch? All those Federal agencies that actually enforce laws and generally make a mess of things are directly under the control of the President.

I want to see a Presidential Candidate who promises to do things like curtain wasteful spending and inefficiencies within those agencies. Sure, some of the projects are mandated by law. But there must be a lot that could be done that wouldn't require any cooperation with Congress.

Am I just missing something?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: October 25, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »

To put it simply, most people have no idea what powers the President actually has. Pushing for laws that the target demographic wants, and vetoing ones it doesn't want, is a highly visible form of leadership that people easily understand. Trying to get into the minutiae of the workings of the DoD or CIA would confuse people, and might even make them believe that he was promising to exceed his authority. In short, such a promise would only appeal to the relative handful of people who have an understanding of the inner workings of government departments, while at the same time alienating those who do not.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 714