Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753931 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6915 on: October 18, 2012, 01:12:48 am »

Then I'd be asking why he's not the President instead.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: October 18, 2012, 01:13:15 am »

What if he is the reason that all the senior staff have are out of action? :/
This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: October 18, 2012, 01:22:09 am »

which is too bad as the current system is broken as hell.
More or less broken than the fact that Americans on american ground cannot vote?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: October 18, 2012, 01:43:33 am »

What would happen if the President died and the Veep took over, do they inaugurate another Veep or not? Or would America be Veepless until the next election?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: October 18, 2012, 01:47:16 am »

I believe they appoint another VP, the same going for any other positions down the line if we're going multiple steps down.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: October 18, 2012, 02:19:47 am »

Romney won the election in that case.

Batman and the guy from the Alpha Protocol game teamed up to dangle cabinet members upside down from the tallest skyscrapers to combat election shenanigans.

Seriously though, why not make voting digital with a whole bunch of funding and security? That would make it easy to have a popular vote and with enough data backups and data 'traps' that could duplicate and send instances to 3rd parties you'd be able to store fraud indefinitely.

As long as the system was viewably open source, but not meddlingly so it would be obvious if fraud was committed as long as people who can't be bothered would trust those darn intellectuals who would actually be checking the code to make sure it's legit.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:36:47 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: October 18, 2012, 02:28:04 am »

Slightly OT, but someone on Tumblr pointed out that Romney and Obama look like they're singing during the debates

I'd watch "Presidential Debates" the musical
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: October 18, 2012, 02:46:35 am »

Haha, that was the first thing that came to mind, i don't normally caption anything.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: October 18, 2012, 02:48:52 am »

Somebody posted a link to a songified version of the first debate already.  If I wasn't at work, I'd go dig it up.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00:23 am »

Man, I dunno. I've got like ten bucks of spendable money to my name. I'd pay that much to see those two do a musical number together. You know that pair could get a mad rage-on burning for each other and channel that into awesome broadway level shenanigans. Or at least fake it well enough no one could tell the difference.

It might go a long way into breaking down the partisan loggerheads, too.

Of course, now I can't get the thought out of my head that whichever of them wins... just after the inauguration, they're going to divorce their spouses and spontaneously elope. Right after the acceptance speech. Like, right on camera and everything. I can see it, in my mind. The declaration of living a lie. The embrace. The tearful explication, of how the stress and constant pressure from their parties led them to find solace... in each other's arms. It'd be like romeo and juliet in the new millennium. With the original message that love makes you batshit insane and everything. I'unno. Three AM. Sleepy, I think.

I can't help but wonder, somewhere in my head. Would that scenario cause an impeachment hearing? On what grounds?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: October 18, 2012, 03:34:10 am »

By the time the nation is led by the secretary of agriculture things have gotten pretty bad.

Like, getting-annexed-by-uganda bad.

Or your planet has been nuked by murderous robots.

Oh, wait, that's with the Secretary of Education.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: October 18, 2012, 07:34:14 am »

I personally prefer it when Jim Lehrer steals the spotlight.

Eye of the Sparrow

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6927 on: October 18, 2012, 08:07:08 am »

Romney won the election in that case.

Batman and the guy from the Alpha Protocol game teamed up to dangle cabinet members upside down from the tallest skyscrapers to combat election shenanigans.

Seriously though, why not make voting digital with a whole bunch of funding and security? That would make it easy to have a popular vote and with enough data backups and data 'traps' that could duplicate and send instances to 3rd parties you'd be able to store fraud indefinitely.

As long as the system was viewably open source, but not meddlingly so it would be obvious if fraud was committed as long as people who can't be bothered would trust those darn intellectuals who would actually be checking the code to make sure it's legit.

Why not go digital? fraud. A digital voting system that is difficult to corrupt with duplicate, forged or discarded ballots will have strong traceability back to the specific voter. And that system is easy to corrupt with direct bribes, intimidation and outright violence directed at people who vote a specific way.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: October 18, 2012, 08:20:31 am »

Our massive armies will take America for themselves, and force them to grow all our food under the President of Agriculture while we go turn Toronto into a fusion bomb or something. Then we'll convert it to a communist welfare state just like we are now, bwahaha.

I forgot to mention the provincial system, too! It's pretty much the same, except the divisions are smaller and in different places, and there are separate provincial parties (Alberta Liberals aren't fully affiliated with the real Liberals I think). The most popular party gets their leader to be Premier, who don't do much on a federal level but are mostly in charge of the province (a pipeline from here to BC was opposed by the BC premier so Alberta couldn't do anything). Fun fact: The PCs [Progressive Conservative, the result of lots of mergers] could get away with anything in Alberta until they got outdone by a Republican-level right-wing party [Wildrose] (but they couldn't start openly hating the gayz because people care about that, one racist candidate got kicked out of the party) - once the Minister of the Environment flipped off a protestor, on camera... then he got chosen as party leader a few years later.

Spoiler: True fact (click to show/hide)

The other seats do the same thing as in the House of Commons, they argue about bills a lot.
My wooden badge was delicious.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: October 18, 2012, 08:33:55 am »

At least HomeSec is in last place, but we're probably already on the way to fascist dictatorship if we get that far down the line.

When HomeSec was first created in 2002, there were people wanting it to be #6.

There's a very good reason for that: you don't want the guy (or gal, in this case) whose job it is to thwart terrorist plots to go "Hmm.....plot to bomb the Capitol during the State of the Union....that would take out the five people above me. Maaaaaybe we'll just file that one under 'Do Later'."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 714