Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 754068 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6315 on: October 08, 2012, 06:59:34 pm »

The Haber Bosch bottleneck was a problem 100 years ago.  It's not a problem anymore.  We could make ammonia in other ways.  We don't because fossil fuels are cheaper.  But it's not like we'd starve or go back to pre-green revolution farming techniques.  We'd just use green energy to get nitrogen out of the air.  And we will have a long time to do this.  Natural gas deposits abundant enough for cheap power generation will last for decades.  Deposits cheap enough for ammonia production will last even longer.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: October 08, 2012, 07:03:09 pm »

Do you actually have any information contradicting this that I don't?
I already told you, Haber-Bosch. Our agricultural yields are tied directly to it.

I looked into that, and not using it seems to indicate that, at most, we'd lose a third of our yield. That's a LOT of food, a 50% increase in crop yields, and obviously economically attractive - but we have the ability to make a lot of food, a lot more than we are now, but the demand is so low the government pays people not to. No one would starve (assuming the poor still receive government assistance), it's just that more of our economy would be directed to pushing money through foodstuffs than now.

Do you have any actual predictions that would indicate we wouldn't be able to grow enough food to feed our current population? Cause Haber-Bosch aint it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: October 08, 2012, 07:08:59 pm »

I'm personally more worried about global destruction of biodiversity and over-pollution.  We're already on a pretty well-defined course to killing everything in the oceans with rising acidity and plastics.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: October 08, 2012, 07:10:21 pm »

Or reprocess it from waste. The Plant-Meat-Shit-Plant cycle is normally a closed one. Modern sewage treatment has opened it along with bringing massive sanitation benefits, but there's no reason that it cannot be reclosed with technology. Likewise, wasted nitrates and phosphates from fertilizer runoff can be reprocessed from streams and rivers, or recycled from any of a number of forms of industrial waste.

Quite a lot of our crop yield is currently lost to spoilage or run through non-food processes such as distillation for fuel. Even more is used for "luxury" foods such as alcohol, sweets, or cow fodder. Further, the cotton industry uses a massively disproportionate amount of fertlizer as opposed to food crops. It's questonable whether a 1/3 drop in output would even be difficult to manage, assuming you had the political muscle to buck the cotton lobby.

Pollution is a serious issue, but recycling (or the outright ban on plastic packaging that I've always supported) would greatly reduce the problem.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: October 08, 2012, 07:12:00 pm »

Kind of a separate issue, though. I'm sure if we reduce our population, we'll just see that as an opportunity to pollute more somehow...

Anyway, if we ever get really desperate, I'll imagine algae-farming will take off big time. It's hugely efficient energy-wise, if not exactly tasty.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: October 08, 2012, 07:18:34 pm »

Even if we stopped producing plastics now, we have already produced enough to get the job done.  The problem with plastics is that it all ends up in the ocean.  All of it.  Unless drastic measures are taken to specifically capture and permanently retain all plastic waste, it will all eventually photo-degrade to microscopic levels and be washed into the oceans.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: October 08, 2012, 09:53:00 pm »

Human population will likely crash on its own as a result of water stress and farmland becoming non-arable as a result of climate change, before we ever run out of fossil fuels (as the prices go up, it becomes economical to extract sources which were previously uneconomical). At this point there is a substantial amount of warming locked in, along with the consequent changes to weather patterns and climate that will come with it. Right now most everyone ignores the already high death rates in many of the third-world countries - considering it either not their problem, or that there's really nothing they can do to stop it, as well as ignoring the future deaths to come. You can't drive blindly for long without hitting something, though.

I doubt there's any way to convince everyone in the world, or even most of the world, to go along with any kind of population reduction program, and few people would choose voluntary sterilization at a young age. Also, forced sterilization is a terrible thing to suggest, and that whole line of thought is a slippery slope to looking in the mirror and seeing Hitler staring back.

[Godwin intentional.]
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: October 08, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »

I think we ought to look up, instead of look down to forced sterilization.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: October 08, 2012, 10:46:04 pm »

I think we ought to look up, instead of look down to forced sterilization.
Mind explaining your rational on that?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: October 08, 2012, 10:46:48 pm »

At this point there is a substantial amount of warming locked in, along with the consequent changes to weather patterns and climate that will come with it.

Yarr... I recently saw a headline stating that the number of methane leaks counted in the arctic is up in the thousands.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: October 08, 2012, 10:48:35 pm »

The warming isn't necessarily locked in. There is evidence to suggest that putting sulfates into the atmosphere will directly counteract the C02 and leave Earth colder.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: October 08, 2012, 10:51:49 pm »

It's locked in in the sense that positive feedback systems will ensure warming continues whether we continue to directly contribute to it or not.  We're at the stage where it will happen unless we take drastic measures to counteract it, and "evidence to suggest X might work" is not very comforting in these circumstances.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6327 on: October 08, 2012, 10:53:12 pm »

ItHuman population is likely to plateau around 10 billion without any catastrophy. All we really need is a way to produce enough clean energy to bring the rest of the worlds population up to a semi western standard of of living.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: October 08, 2012, 10:55:48 pm »

It's locked in in the sense that positive feedback systems will ensure warming continues whether we continue to directly contribute to it or not.  We're at the stage where it will happen unless we take drastic measures to counteract it, and "evidence to suggest X might work" is not very comforting in these circumstances.
We have some time before the situation reaches criticality. By "some evidence" I mean that we know for a fact that reflective sulfates will cool down the planet. The problem is that we'd have to be very careful about how much was deployed and where, or it won't stabilize and will just spiral further out of control.

We also don't really know what that much sulfate could do to plant life.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: October 09, 2012, 12:03:20 am »

Just don't go and use the wrong fix before understanding the implications of it, like with killing the wolves in yellowstone or stopping all forest fires.
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 714