Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 754602 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6090 on: October 04, 2012, 07:58:37 am »

Wow...I obviously missed a good time last night.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: October 04, 2012, 08:54:18 am »

I found that Romney made a good impression on me, though my base opinion of him probably couldn't get any lower. He certainly seemed a lot less awkward than he usually does.

You never saw the complete Romney before, only out-takes of his worst moments. Similarly, no one had seen the complete Obama before, only his edited Oscar moments. Now Romney unsurprisingly looks like a capable person (which he was all along) and Obama doesn't look like the epitome of cool (which he wasn't anyway without handlers).

This is what happens when the media are overwhelmingly Democrat.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: October 04, 2012, 08:58:25 am »

With everything else going on around me lately, I didn't even watch last night. Not like my vote wasn't decided months ago anyways. Ditto for our governor's race.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: October 04, 2012, 09:00:50 am »

Yes, yes. We've contrived our control over the media in order to brainwash the country. Everything is going exactly as planned, sit and watch helplessly as your countrymen turn on each other and this nation falls into chaos. Your government will not be there, your god will not be there, your neighbor will not be there, you are alone.

*disclaimer: poes law seems to have been getting around the forums recently so... don't take this seriously.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:05:33 am by darkrider2 »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: October 04, 2012, 09:08:25 am »

Yes, yes. We've contrived our control over the media in order to brainwash the country. Everything is going exactly as planned, sit and watch helplessly as your countrymen turn on each other and this nation falls into chaos. Your government will not be there, your god will not be there, your neighbor will not be there, you are alone.

*disclaimer: poes law seems to have been getting around the forums recently so... don't take this seriously.
Oh, you are *so* getting your Secret Evil Democrat passcard revoked, mister! No more gay Communist orgies for you!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: October 04, 2012, 09:11:16 am »

Oh, you are *so* getting your Secret Evil Democrat passcard revoked, mister! No more gay Communist orgies for you!

Man, those are the BEST!

On a serious note, the media is more conservative, if not balanced. Sure, CNN is very liberal, but Fox is extremely conservative. Other news stations such as ABC and CBS have a tendency to lean conservative as well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:34 am »

Now then, our Arch-Liberal plans for world domination have finally come to fruition, thanks in no small part to our meat-puppet Murdoch. Excellent.

* Flying Dice steeples his fingers.

Also: CNN very liberal? Hah.

/mfw people imply that there is any sort of mainstream media on the left to equal Fox's extremism.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6097 on: October 04, 2012, 09:16:13 am »

Oh, you are *so* getting your Secret Evil Democrat passcard revoked, mister! No more gay Communist orgies... on weed for you!

Fixed that for you. Courtesy of Jon Stewarts movie career.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: October 04, 2012, 09:21:17 am »

It's no conspiracy, but the media are largely Democrat. Look at known campaign contributions. It's not a secret.

Even companies whose news outlets are often perceived as having a conservative bias have given significantly more money to Mr. Obama. Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation, for example, has contributed $58,825 to Mr. Obama’s campaign, compared with $2,750 to Mr.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/donations-by-media-companies-tilt-heavily-to-obama/

Intentionally or unintentionally, it does affect the coverage. The real proof is watching these two candidates side-by-side.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6099 on: October 04, 2012, 09:25:30 am »

It doesn't matter if Mitt performed above expectations if he had to lie half the times he opened his mouth to do it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:44 am »

Basically every single newspaper in Scotland is against independence, same with our television stations. There are only three newspapers (roughly) that simply don't have an opinion on the matter and are fairly non biased. The effect is that people are constantly confronted with negative reporting and scaremongering, meaning that support for independence has been stunted greatly. The same goes for the results of elections. The point is that it's not as if the end result of an election/referendum depends on media bias, but it certainly affects it quite greatly. Coming from a society like this, I'd be astonished if there was no great media bias in the USA towards either democrat or republican.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:22 am »

Basically every single newspaper in Scotland is against independence, same with our television stations. There are only three newspapers (roughly) that simply don't have an opinion on the matter and are fairly non biased. The effect is that people are constantly confronted with negative reporting and scaremongering, meaning that support for independence has been stunted greatly. The same goes for the results of elections. The point is that it's not as if the end result of an election/referendum depends on media bias, but it certainly affects it quite greatly. Coming from a society like this, I'd be astonished if there was no great media bias in the USA towards either democrat or republican.

Yeah. Objective media is a sham. It never exists. Everyone has a viewpoint that must surface even in their most honest attempt at neutrality, and reporters with the same viewpoints tend to cluster in the same organizations. Fox is a conservative outfit? Fair point. But ABC and CBS are also conservative? Utterly and demonstrably false.

Other news stations such as ABC and CBS have a tendency to lean conservative as well.

ABC has George Stephanopoulous leading the coverage of the debates, actually.

The ex-Chief of Staff for President Bill Clinton. Pretty amusing that you'd find a card-carrying Democrat, a former shining star of the party in fact, to be a balanced conservative viewpoint. But there he is leading coverage of the debates, ready to start the spin in the right direction for ABC!  :D

As for CBS, they became infamous for Dan Rather's creating a fake document to sway a close election. To the advantage of a Democrat.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: October 04, 2012, 09:51:50 am »

Right. And the fact that George Will has a regular column in the Washington Post makes them irretrievably conservative.  ::)

The whole "liberal media" thing got old a really, really long time ago. It stinks of a coach spending the whole game accusing the referees of bias, in order to get them to second-guess their calls.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: October 04, 2012, 09:56:08 am »

Right. And the fact that George Will has a regular column in the Washington Post makes them irretrievably conservative.  ::)

The whole "liberal media" thing got old a really, really long time ago. It stinks of a coach spending the whole game accusing the referees of bias, in order to get them to second-guess their calls.

To be honest, if there's any bias in the American media it's sure as hell not liberal. It might be Democrat but it's not liberal. For one thing, if it was liberal, surely we'd have seen more positive reporting of Obama's more controversial reforms.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:58:27 am by Owlbread »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6104 on: October 04, 2012, 10:10:45 am »

Romney mentioned the "shut down PBS" thing from a few months ago. I've had this thing written up for a while, and wanted to share my thoughts on such trivial trimming:

There is a lot of noise in the government that we must eliminate the deficit; this is reasonable, because the US is 37% over budget- that is to say, for every dollar of taxes received, the government pays out $1.37. The proposals include shutting down NPR, cutting school funding, and lowering taxes in keeping with a disproved economic theory.

Allow me to present to you a hypothetical scenario. Let's suppose that we shut down everything. Close NASA; dissolve every public broadcasting group- every NPR station and every PBS studio. Literally sell the big bird costume to a furry shop in NJ. Stop all state and municipal grants, moving a mountain of debt from the feds to the localities, most likely causing many towns to go completely bankrupt.

We shut down each and every school and every single federal law agency. All reconstruction funds to places hit by disasters is ceased.

We close the white house- no, every federally-maintained national monument.

We keep only these things:

Social Security and Medicaid, the two most popular federal programs, the Department of Defense, which may NOT be interfered with, and the few mandatory expenses- things the government is legally obliged to pay out from previous contracts.

Finally, the specific mandatory "cost" which represents the interest in the debt.

With the budget slashed to shreds and virtually nothing left of the government- with every federal building abandoned and every federal employee expected to be working for free on the (unmaintained) streets with whatever office supplies they can scrounge from dumpsters, what do you suppose the deficit would be like? Do you imagine that the debit might be repaid in weeks? In months?

Years?

Paying exclusively for mandatory costs and for Medicaid, Social Security, the DoD, and interest on the debt, the government would still be 23% over budget. Instead of paying out $1.37 for each dollar received, they will be paying $1.23.

The truth is, Medicaid, Social Security, and the DoD are at once untouchable and the source of the entire problem.

The next time that someone tries to sell you some falsehood about how saving an impressive amount by shutting down some essential or valuable service, remember that they might as well suggest you bail a sinking ship with a thimble.

There is no attractive solution to this. The most basic conceivable one would be to increase tax receipts by 500 billion dollars and cut all spending by 1/6th- every welfare or social security check is only 5/6ths of what it currently is, and one in six soldiers is fired. One in six aircraft  carriers is sold or scrapped. One in six teachers put on the unemployment line. One in six Muppets stuffed. Capricious? Yes. Fair? Perhaps the closest thing I can think of.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 714