Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 754554 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4995 on: August 21, 2012, 09:03:02 pm »

Uh.

I have a copy of A. C. Grayling's Humanist Bible in my bedroom. I haven't read it entirely yet... But I think it counts.

I mean actual religious texts, not modern day Humanist writings. I've never read it, though.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: August 21, 2012, 09:16:53 pm »

Uh.

I have a copy of A. C. Grayling's Humanist Bible in my bedroom. I haven't read it entirely yet... But I think it counts.

I mean actual religious texts, not modern day Humanist writings. I've never read it, though.
Well it's based on writings from philosophers, and yes, religious writers through the ages. At least, that's what it says on the blurb. xD

But yeah, it's a recent publication... but then, so is science. You take what you can get, right?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: August 21, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »

I think it's bullshit to say that because a hospital is funded by the Catholic church, it's inherently unscientific. Ditto for the hundreds of Catholic (and other denomination-affiliated) universities. Even publications. Christian Science is as wacky and unscientific a sect as you get IMHO, but they are responsible for the Christian Science Monitor, a pre-eminent, rigorous journal which is one of the best political science rags out there.

Heck, even the Mormons have made some tremendous contributions in the areas of genealogy and DNA sequencing, thanks to their odd dogmatic obsession with tracing family trees and retroactively converting one's dead ancestors. You don't have to believe in the religion motivating these things to appreciate the end results.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: August 21, 2012, 09:33:51 pm »

I really didn't think it was necessary for me to explain that that isn't how every single one of those institutions worked, because that's pretty damn obvious and I don't go defending unneeded points. What I'm saying is, in the cases of hospitals such as the previous linked, there are a good chunk of those institutions that value dogma more than actual medicine, and if you don't see that, I'm a bit baffled.

Being religious doesn't mean you can't be scientific and or medically knowledgeable, it's when the religiousness impedes on their actual contribution to their field that it should be taken into very large consideration that maybe in modern day medicine religions should have zero to do with any of it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:36:18 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: August 21, 2012, 09:36:54 pm »

I think it's bullshit to say that because a hospital is funded by the Catholic church, it's inherently unscientific. Ditto for the hundreds of Catholic (and other denomination-affiliated) universities. Even publications. Christian Science is as wacky and unscientific a sect as you get IMHO, but they are responsible for the Christian Science Monitor, a pre-eminent, rigorous journal which is one of the best political science rags out there.

Heck, even the Mormons have made some tremendous contributions in the areas of genealogy and DNA sequencing, thanks to their odd dogmatic obsession with tracing family trees and retroactively converting one's dead ancestors. You don't have to believe in the religion motivating these things to appreciate the end results.
And yet, even when they do get results, religions still do bad things with them, such as listing other people's dead relatives and holocaust victims as Mormons without consent.

Plus, Christian Science, if I recall, is all about the faith healing. I have to say that I won't ever stop doubting the Christian Science Monitor because of that, even if they haven't done anything bad so far.

There's always an ulterior motive. Religious institutions have long since proven that they are untrustworthy to a fault when it comes to matters of science.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: August 21, 2012, 09:41:23 pm »

Do other religions have a problem with Mormons baptizing the dead in absentia?  My take on the fact that the Mormons will someday baptize a little piece of paper with my name on it is that it has zero bearing on my faith.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: August 21, 2012, 09:41:59 pm »

Well, this sure didn't take long.

I have no one but myself to blame for "policing" this thread, but it's hard to think why I should bother, when it's going to come back around to this every two days.

And now you know why they call them political junkies.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: August 21, 2012, 11:25:12 pm »

Well, this sure didn't take long.

I have no one but myself to blame for "policing" this thread, but it's hard to think why I should bother, when it's going to come back around to this every two days.

And now you know why they call them political junkies.

QFT. This is a thread for discussing the upcoming American elections. Not for bitching about every little thing you don't like in the world that can be tangentially tied to the elections. There's a place for that. It's called /b/.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5003 on: August 23, 2012, 12:18:37 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-holds-lead-ohio-slips-florida-wisconsin-poll-104836458.html

Obama is starting to fall in Florida and Wisconsin, but not Ohio.

I for one have done my part to counter that trend by bringing 4 voters (myself included) into the state of Florida, not much more that I can do.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: August 23, 2012, 02:08:40 pm »

Fear of a Black President.

There is no shorter version. Worth the time to read it all.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:24 pm »

Some new aggregate poll data:

Claire McCaskell is now up by +10 in her Senate race against Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin. Now that the national GOP and the biggest superPACs have cut off the funding spigot, this will likely widen over the remaining months.

Battleground state polls (with margin of change since my last poll roundup on 8/16)

Ohio: Obama +2 (-1.0)
Florida: TIE (-1.0)
Wisconsin: Obama +1.4 (-3.1)
Virginia: Obama +2 (+1.3)
North Carolina/Colorado: No new poll data -- NO CHANGE

Obama national margin today: +1.5
Obama national margin this date in 2008: +1.6
Kerry national margin this date in 2004: +0.7

RCP's electoral map shows a drop in the "safe" Obama electoral votes from 231 to 221, because Michigan is now considered "in play", despite polls showing a 5-9 point advantage for Obama.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: August 23, 2012, 03:49:00 pm »

Michigan's average on RCP (Obama +3.8) seems to be skewed by Baydoun/Foster (D) reporting Romney +4, while every other polling company says Obama +5/6.  They did seem to have the biggest sample, but as it links to Fox News I'm not trusting it.

So if you add Michigan's 16 places back on that gives Obama 237.  Which would leave him in the position of win Florida plus any other swing state to win.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: August 23, 2012, 03:53:04 pm »

except that florida is looking like a nearly dead heat right now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: August 23, 2012, 04:00:47 pm »

Yeah, that's why I said he has to win it?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 714