Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 754597 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4965 on: August 21, 2012, 11:32:58 am »

It may also be a polling artefact: persons that are against abortion will say they're against it in all case, forgetting about those moral dilemna like rape and incest. I should go and look up the exact questions they asked.

EDIT: The question was "Do you think abortion should be legal under any circumstance, legal in some circumstance, or illegal in all circumstance." A lot of people probably answered illegal without thinking about those special, harder cases.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:36:41 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: August 21, 2012, 11:54:54 am »

Well... a lot of people do not think...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: August 21, 2012, 12:25:15 pm »

I linked this list of polls because it lets you compare wordings and options. I particularly the like the most recent Washington Post/Kaiser Family Foundation Poll options;

"Do you think abortion should be legal in all cases, legal in most cases, illegal in most cases, or illegal in all cases?"

Results: 19/36/25/17, 3% unsure.

So that's 17% saying illegal in all even when given the 'illegal in most' option. There is a similarly worded Pew poll down the page that shows similar results; 16% taking the illegal in all option. Finally there is the Virginia Commonwealth University Life Sciences Survey from 2010 that explicitly asked about rape. The wording;

"Which of these comes closest to your views about abortion? A woman should be able to get an abortion if she decides she wants one no matter what the reason. Abortion should only be legal in certain circumstances, such as when a woman's health is endangered or when the pregnancy results from rape or incest. OR, Abortion should be illegal in all circumstances."

This pushed the percentage of those saying illegal in all circumstances down... to 15%.

The Gallup numbers are actually worse. The latest (2011) poll asking solely about cases of rape or incest showed 22% saying abortion should be illegal in those cases. It also showed 15% opposed when the woman's health is at risk and 13% opposed when her life is endangered.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: August 21, 2012, 12:30:30 pm »

Recent story on NPR indicated that the Republican party is planning to unveil in Tampa, as one of their official platform planks, a call for a constitutional ban against abortion with no exemptions.

Seconded by CNN and WaPo.

That puts them at odds with at least 80% of the American population. So yeah, I don't think it's a strawman at this point.  :-\
The fringe is officially running the show in the GOP.

It's actually kind of relieving. If they had stuck to running just on the economy, they might have had a chance against Obama. But they couldn't resist the urge to delve into the culture war, which is not a winning proposition for them in many parts of the country. I'm betting Team Romney is probably banging their heads into the wall and throwing darts at pictures of Todd Akin today.

EDIT: Rep. Steve King (R-IA) chimed in to back Akin and says "I've never heard of a girl getting pregnant from statutory rape or incest". Presumedly because his head is so far up his ass that his hearing is severely impacted.

DOUBLE-EDIT: Okay, so after reading the article fully, King's comment wasn't nearly so pants-on-head retarded, though it still implies that such a thing is incredibly rare.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:44:51 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: August 21, 2012, 12:31:51 pm »

@palsch
I'm not really that surprised by any of those numbers. For that last one, with the mother's life being endangered, I'm willing to bet the people checking "always illegal" are assuming the child would live if the mother died (don't most such complications involve late term pregnancy anyway? so it's not a huge leap). A lot of people would choose an older person to die over a younger one.

The only opinion that would shock me would be those wanting both dead over having an abortion, but then again I want to strangle most deontologists who do everything on their arbitrary moral principle.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: August 21, 2012, 12:33:10 pm »

Recent story on NPR indicated that the Republican party is planning to unveil in Tampa, as one of their official platform planks, a call for a constitutional ban against abortion with no exemptions.
Oh my god, the GOP's party leaders are reactionary morons.

I've heard it said that all Obama has to do to win this election is to, whenever the GOP announces something, go out on a podium in front of the Associated Press and state "I do not agree with that." I'm starting to believe that might really be the case.
The only opinion that would shock me would be those wanting both dead over having an abortion, but then again I want to strangle most deontologists who do everything on their arbitrary moral principle.
Trust me, there are people like that. It's what God wants, after all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: August 21, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »

Yeah, I know there are. These are the same people who don't consider "steal a loaf of bread to feed starving family" to be an acceptable choice, since stealing = bad.

Having no regard for circumstance is one of the things I'd personally classify as "evil."
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: August 21, 2012, 12:37:30 pm »

Steve King joining the party.

Mix this with some of the comments around the Assange case and it really is say something stupid about rape week in the political world.

First case to come to mind. But other than personal experience from online abortion debates I can't really say how many people would support such action in the USA.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: August 21, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »

Here's a PPP poll of the Missouri senate race: Here.

Akin-R: 44
McCaskill-D: 43 (Incumbent)

Basically, what PPP finds is that it is unchanged from their May poll (a 45-44 lead for Akin); of course, as with all single polls take it with a grain of salt and never read to much into one poll.  But still, a Republican could eat a kitten on live television and still get 35% of the vote.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: August 21, 2012, 02:53:57 pm »

Steve King joining the party.
For a second there I thought Steven King (the famous horror writer), and was all sad. But I guess its just some random politician, so I am happier again (although the fact that he represents so many people in the house makes me a bit sad again).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: August 21, 2012, 03:00:28 pm »

Here's a PPP poll of the Missouri senate race: Here.

Akin-R: 44
McCaskill-D: 43 (Incumbent)

Basically, what PPP finds is that it is unchanged from their May poll (a 45-44 lead for Akin); of course, as with all single polls take it with a grain of salt and never read to much into one poll.  But still, a Republican could eat a kitten on live television and still get 35% of the vote.
Oh, I wouldn't even look at the polls this close to the event. Takes at least 3 days for stuff like this to really filter through the electorate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: August 21, 2012, 04:09:08 pm »

This has been part of their party platform since 1976
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: August 21, 2012, 04:11:44 pm »

Could be that they're intentionally overshooting, so they can claim "compromise" if they get what they want in the first place.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: August 21, 2012, 04:13:19 pm »

Could be that they're intentionally overshooting, so they can claim "compromise" if they get what they want in the first place.
"President Obama agrees to Absolute-Abortion Ban Compromise after failure of Eternal-Abortion Ban Amendment."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: August 21, 2012, 04:15:58 pm »

May was a long time ago, before the primary wrapped up.  Since the primary, Akin was leading by a lot more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/mo/missouri_senate_akin_vs_mccaskill-2079.html#polls

So he's actually lost a pretty big chunk of ground, about 5 points.  I would expect that he will continue to lose grounds for a few more days and actually be running behind, albeit slightly, by the time this is done sinking in.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 714