Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 754747 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4875 on: August 19, 2012, 09:32:58 pm »

If you're outside of Texas, the proper way to say "Howdy" is "How do" or "Howd'youdo". ;)
I'LL SAY HOWDY IF I DAMN WELL PLEASE :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: August 19, 2012, 09:34:59 pm »

Don't really care about the economy. It's a short term issue. I guess I would be happy, but ether way I doubt it matters.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4877 on: August 19, 2012, 09:36:22 pm »

Urist McDrowner has been muted for a week for continuing a deteriorating fight right after I posted a thread warning.  I guess I'll have to go back and clean it up.  Presumably people will talk about elections and stuff in here, or I'll have to lock this.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: August 19, 2012, 10:05:26 pm »

It seems that we have a point of comparison for what a real offensive remark looks like  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/20/us/politics/todd-akin-provokes-ire-with-legitimate-rape-comment.html

Speaking about pregnancy from rape: "If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.  But let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work or something: I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child."

The way to tell that it's a newsworthy remark is that it is so unbelievably stupid that it's hard to believe that a grown man could say such things.  But they've got it on tape... http://youtu.be/fdisTOKom5I
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: August 19, 2012, 10:27:38 pm »

Actual election results to peruse: Minnesota Primary August 14th (yes, I'm late on the ball).  Turnout was somewhere around 10%, very low.

Minnesota Senate
GOP Results:
Kurt Bills          51.12% [Endorsed] [Winner]
David Carlson    35.37%
Bob Carney Jr.  13.52%

DFL Results:
Amy Klobuchar 90.80% [Endorsed] [Winner]
Others             9.20%

IND Results:
Stephen Williams 59.68% [Winner]
Glen Menze        40.32%

The endorsed GOP candidate Bills barely received a majority of voters against a perennial candidate and a nobody.  If he continues to struggle like this, it would not be surprising to see Klobuchar receive even more votes than she received in 2006.  The Independence Party did not endorse a candidate, and basically won't fund their candidate this year, choosing to focus on the state house and state senate.

There were two competitive house district primary races, the DFL race in MN-08 and the GOP race in MN-01.

Legend:
District Map
City [Population]
City 2 [Population]
City 3 [Population]
Incumbent
Primary

MN-01 Map:
Rochester [106,679]
Mankato    [39,309]
Winona      [27,592]
Tim Walz is the incumbent DFL rep who was first elected in 2006, and was re-elected in 2008 and 2010.  He is a pro-gun moderate Democrat.

GOP Primary
Allen Quist 54.14% [Winner]
Mike Parry  45.86%

Neither candidate was endorsed, and so a primary was forced.  Quist is a Michelle Bachmann style extreme conservative prone to stupid statements, and carries a ton of baggage from his failed gubernatorial runs in the 1990s.

MN-08 Map:
Duluth  [86,265]
Hibbing [16,361]
Brainerd [13,590]
Chip Cravaack, a Republican, won in 2010 upsetting long time incumbent Jim Oberstar; he's a pretty typical tea party Republican.

DFL Primary
Richard Nolan 38.29% [Winner]
Tarryl Clark    32.25%
Jeff Anderson 29.46%

Former rep Rick Nolan will take on Cravaack after returning to politics from a 30 (!) year hiatus; he performed best all over the district, while Clark and Anderson were limited to their voting bases in the south and Duluth respectively.

Okay, have I bored you all with Minnesota politics yet?  Because if not, I have plenty more to say. :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: August 20, 2012, 01:49:49 am »

If you're outside of Texas, the proper way to say "Howdy" is "How do" or "Howd'youdo". ;)
I shit you not, I unironically say "Howdy do". I am from eastern Washington State. I also use 'Yo' and 'Yo dawg' just about as often. (Yes, this comic is why.)

As for that Minnesota election: which position is it for? State house or Federal house?

@Mainiac I believe that rape topic has come up in the Progressive Rage Thread (Or whatever the name is now.) Might also be in Occupying Wallstreet. (There's a lot of crossover.) It's a pretty terrible and dumb thing for that guy to say, and he's bad and should feel bad.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: August 20, 2012, 07:48:53 am »

Ain't the first time a Republican has made comments to the effect of "if she got pregnant, she must have wanted it at some level"

"The facts show that people who are raped -- who are truly raped -- the juices don't flow, the body functions don't work and they don't get pregnant," said Aldridge, a 71-year-old periodontist. "Medical authorities agree that this is a rarity, if ever."

That would be a NC state rep back in 1995 who was rightfully pilloried for his comment. Headline for this new comment should be "Republican Lawmakers Continue To Fail Biology Forever".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: August 20, 2012, 08:19:04 am »

I shit you not, I unironically say "Howdy do". I am from eastern Washington State. I also use 'Yo' and 'Yo dawg' just about as often. (Yes, this comic is why.)

As for that Minnesota election: which position is it for? State house or Federal house?

@Mainiac I believe that rape topic has come up in the Progressive Rage Thread (Or whatever the name is now.) Might also be in Occupying Wallstreet. (There's a lot of crossover.) It's a pretty terrible and dumb thing for that guy to say, and he's bad and should feel bad.

Both are federal races.  I don't think anyone here cares about the 134 state house races in the state. :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: August 20, 2012, 08:21:47 am »

For me the worst part is that his apology doesn't remotely address the problem with what he said.  It's essentially "I'm sorry I called all black people parasitic criminal scum, I should have called them African Americans".

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: August 20, 2012, 10:53:35 am »

Hey guys... heard about... "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."?

Grade A intelligence right here folks.  Or does this belong in the stupid things people say thread?  Well, it has a political slant on it... so meh.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4885 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:34 am »

Hey guys... heard about... "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."?

Grade A intelligence right here folks.  Or does this belong in the stupid things people say thread?  Well, it has a political slant on it... so meh.

If the guy is currently running for office, it may have a place here.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: August 20, 2012, 11:10:54 am »

We were talking about it one page back.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: August 20, 2012, 11:12:43 am »

Ah shoot, maybe it needed a better punchline.  I totally forgot maniac's post right after that one with the numbers.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4888 on: August 20, 2012, 01:21:58 pm »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: August 20, 2012, 01:40:22 pm »

At least not this week.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 714