Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 752489 times)

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2985 on: March 30, 2012, 05:59:36 am »

So Santorum made a pretty big slip-up. If the link doesn't work properly, jump to 0:34:26.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: March 30, 2012, 06:40:16 am »

Yeouch.

Not much else that cut off word could be, either.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: March 30, 2012, 07:46:33 am »

Wow. Yup, that's gonna set him back a ways. (Though I'm sure some people will ignore it just to avoid Romney.) There also seems to be a bit of an Anyone-But-Romney attitude already.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: March 30, 2012, 07:51:49 am »

It could be 'nincompoop'

But yeah, no.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: March 30, 2012, 07:53:09 am »

I haven't watched the video, but judging from Blarg's post I think he meant to say "ninja".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:03 am »

That is the ultimate Freudian slip. It's going to take some serious effort to break this record.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: March 30, 2012, 08:03:54 am »

Newt Gingrich is to the primaries as Charlie Sheen is to the Hollywood establishment. I figured at some point, his backers were going to realize they weren't getting any sort of return on their investment as Gingrich's stock fell pretty much everywhere. I'm surprised it took this long, but I suspect he's had more planned with his backers than just trying to *ahem* win the the primaries. I'm thinking whatever those prospects were got significantly dimmer.

So now he's going to do what Sheen did, and go completely maverick, get even louder and more absurd......before retreating and latching on to any life line that people will throw him. Personally, I can't wait to see him on DWTS with that corpse he married his wife.

If Gingrich goes on some coke-fueled rant about having tiger blood and Adonis DNA....I'm voting for him, just because.

And I can't watch the vid with sound here at work, but I gather Santorum averted dropping the N-word in a rather sloppy fashion. Hard to say if that was a gaffe or desperate dog-whistling to get the racist vote. Dunno about Wisconsin, but you'd be surprised how many rednecks Maryland has.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2992 on: March 30, 2012, 08:05:23 am »

It could be something else... But govornment N***** is a common way people down here in south eastern dixistan refer to Obama in casual conversation.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: March 30, 2012, 08:18:12 am »

And I can't watch the vid with sound here at work, but I gather Santorum averted dropping the N-word in a rather sloppy fashion. Hard to say if that was a gaffe or desperate dog-whistling to get the racist vote. Dunno about Wisconsin, but you'd be surprised how many rednecks Maryland has.
He didn't even really avert it.
Quote from: Rick Santorum
We know, we know the candidate Barack Obama was he like, the anti-war government nig-  uh...the uh, America was a source for....
It could be something else... But govornment N***** is a common way people down here in south eastern dixistan refer to Obama in casual conversation.
Oh knock it off. Southerners are no more racist than the rest of the nation.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: March 30, 2012, 08:25:31 am »

Maybe. But I don't have to listen to northern or western racists nearly every time I go out in public.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: March 30, 2012, 08:26:48 am »

It sounds like that may be more of a problem in your local community than anything else.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: March 30, 2012, 08:29:49 am »

I've moved around a lot on the gulf coast, ms, fl, la, al. It doesn't really change that much.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: March 30, 2012, 08:29:58 am »

IIRC, Nadaka lives in a concentrated patch of unreconstructed Panhandlestan. So his view might be a bit bleaker than ours. I get all huffy sometimes about how "we're not like that anymore!" and then I go half an hour outside of Raleigh and I'm like, "Oh....I forgot about these folks."  :-\

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: March 30, 2012, 08:32:58 am »

Now, MetalSlime, if southerners aren't more racist, they are at least a damn sight more casual about being so, in my experience. Its got a lot more places you can be pretty much openly racist without any sort of fallout than, say, New England.

And that sort of public acceptance of racist attitudes is likely to indicate that they might, overall, be a bit more racist.

(Not to say any individual is more racist, or that racists don't exist anywhere else, or that everywhere in the south is equally racist.)

Here in New England, the ONLY time I've heard that sort of casual racism in conversation is speaking with people over 70 or people from the south.

And /visiting/ the south...

Mind you my experience IS limited to Virginia and Texas, which aren't exactly the deep south, and Florida, which is basically where New England sends all its crazy racists. :P

To second the above, though, southern cities are generally fine, it just deteriorates pretty rapidly once you move outside them. And anecdotes don't prove much of anything of course.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: March 30, 2012, 09:21:41 am »

I think if anything, it's just that we're more....comfortable (for lack of a better word) with racism here. It's worth noting that the South also has the largest (by percentage) African-American populations. Which, IMHO, creates two different kinds of racism.

In the South, it's a "familiarity breeds contempt" sort of thing. Racism tends to be generated out of all the little petty squabbles and inter-community competition for resources, and race is an easy target. Point of example: my late grandfather, while a saint of a man, was also a product of his upbringing. If a white guy cut him off in traffic, that was a "dum-dum". If a black guy cut him off, that was a "dirty n****r". He wasn't particularly any more incensed than he was with the white guy, it was just easier (and ingrained) to denigrate their skin color than their actions. But at the same time, I feel like it's a mile wide and only a few inches deep. Put five black college kids in Carolina blue basketball uniforms and put them on the court, and those rednecks will be cheering them on like they were their own children. There's almost no job here (other than maybe corporate executive) where you're not going to have at least one black co-worker. And chances are, they're going to be a pretty decent person. Which is why you get a lot of cognitive dissonance like "Some of my best friends are black" and "There's black people and then there's n*****s".

Meanwhile, you have places like Idaho, New Hampshire, Montana and Arizona that are hotbeds of violent, strident white supremacy and have almost no African-American population. In the absence of living, breathing black people to remind you on a daily basis that they're just like everyone else, it allows those supremacists to demonize and dehumanize and caricature minorities to the point that they can self-justify radical violence. The racism there (where it exists) is narrow but deep.

And it's often multi-faceted. My mother was born in Montana, and her mother's family was racist on a different tack: black people were more a curiosity than anything in Montana. But Mexicans and Native Americans were strictly verboten as potential mates (because after all, they were the hired help). Which of course, meant that two of my grandmother's sisters promptly married a pair of Mexican brothers who were farm laborers. Funny how that works. And then my family themselves were Volga Germans, which meant they weren't fully trusted by the US during WWII.

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 714