Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 752994 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2850 on: March 20, 2012, 10:56:12 am »

I'm actually thinking a Gozer/Quetzalcotl ticket might be pretty viable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: March 20, 2012, 11:05:30 am »

Allow me to get the thread back on track with a question, what happens to a candidate's delegates after they drop out of the race? Do they simply drop out and not cast a vote for another candidate or what?

Typically, the candidate who drops out endorses one of the remaining candidate. His delegates are not bound to follow the candidate's lead, but often do.

Illinois election today! Romney is very likely to win, in no small part because he's outspending everyone else by orders of magnitude. One article stated he outspent Santorum 21-to-1 in the Chicago metro area. So Romney is proving that he can win votes, but is incredibly inefficient at doing so. He's a coal-fired Titanic, compared to Santorum's solar-powered speedboat. And Ron Paul's gold-powered tugboat. And Gingrich's private yacht which is actually powered by Newt's own self-righteousness. And then there's poor Buddy Roemer, floating in a life preserver.

Yeah, that metaphor kinda went off the rails at some point.  ???

But it's worth remembering that because of Illinois' insane loophole primary system, the popular vote and the delegate outcome have no causal connection. Romney could win 50% of the popular vote and wind up with 2 delegates, because they're almost all running as "uncommitted" delegates which allows them to throw their eventual support behind whoever they want. I certainly don't think there's ANY chance that bribery could possibly ever come into play in THIS situation.[/suspiciouslystridentdenial]

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:28 am »

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:36:59 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: March 20, 2012, 12:38:54 pm »

I like how he says he's going to create jobs in such a way that it seems like he's saying he isn't.
Most presidential candidates would say the exact opposite thing :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: March 20, 2012, 01:16:30 pm »

Nothing like a politically self-inflicted gunshot wound. Well played Santorum.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2855 on: March 20, 2012, 03:26:49 pm »

The supporters he has now don't care. Santorum is a cult leader- what he says is automatically assumed to be good; the cultist's worldview shifts around to fit it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: March 20, 2012, 03:53:59 pm »

Santorum's done.

I have a joy boner right now.

This is made even better by the fact that this fucker is going to keep going.

hhhhhrrrrrrrgggggnnnnn...
NatureLabor:  largest concentration of elf-loving dwarves and a few dwarfs trying to beat that out of them.
-TerrisH

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: March 20, 2012, 04:01:15 pm »

Whereas Romney's answer to EVERYTHING is "I make moar jobs!" From a campaign event at Bradly University yesterday:

ROMNEY: The best thing I can do for student debt is get you a good job when you come out.

ROMNEY: The best thing I can do for home values is to get the 8.3 percent of people in this country that are out of work back to work.

Apparently the Mitt formula is "The best thing I can do for X is make more jobs." Jobs will end the wars in the Middle East, free the Syrian people, cure AIDS and fix global warming.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: March 20, 2012, 04:08:56 pm »

Apparently the Mitt formula is "The best thing I can do for X is make more jobs." Jobs will end the wars in the Middle East, free the Syrian people, cure AIDS and fix global warming.
Diplomats, soldiers, scientists, doctors, and engineers :P

Of course, that's only if the politicians, CEOs, and various other administrative folks learn to STFU and listen the people that actually know wth they're doing.

Hahahahahaha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: March 20, 2012, 04:19:00 pm »

Sure that's the real Mitt Romney?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:12 pm »

Allow me to get the thread back on track with a question, what happens to a candidate's delegates after they drop out of the race? Do they simply drop out and not cast a vote for another candidate or what?
The Republicans have this strange rule that you need a plurality (read bigest share, not majority) in at least 5 states in order to be able to be voted for at the convention, which is something newt gingerich and paul haven't accomplished, so the big question is who will their delegates vote for? Here is the direct quote of the rule.

"Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a plurality of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination."

So the candidite can't be nominated at the convention,a dn hence can't be voted for. I think if a candidite fails in the first round of voting all the delegates get to vote for whomever they wish.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: March 20, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »

Do they have to have a plurality at the caucuses/primaries or do they have to have a plurality on the convention floor?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: March 20, 2012, 04:49:22 pm »

Do they have to have a plurality at the caucuses/primaries or do they have to have a plurality on the convention floor?

That's a good question, especially with cases like Mississippi where Santorum won the plurality of the primary but Romney was awarded more of the state's delegates (13 to 12 that is) thanks to the "unbound" delegates (read: party chairmen saying who the nominee will be).  Thanks to the way the race has already shaken out, I don't think that's going to come into contention though.  If Santorum doesn't have a plurality of actual delegates from at least five states by the end, it's safe to guess that Romney will have more than 1144 anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2863 on: March 20, 2012, 04:52:19 pm »

Whereas Romney's answer to EVERYTHING is "I make moar jobs!" From a campaign event at Bradly University yesterday:

ROMNEY: The best thing I can do for student debt is get you a good job when you come out.

ROMNEY: The best thing I can do for home values is to get the 8.3 percent of people in this country that are out of work back to work.

In those two case (student loans and mortgage issues), yes, jobs are at least part of the solution.

However Romney doesn't really have any plan for creating jobs.

He has a plan for cutting the tax on wealthy people and corporations.

And that only produces jobs under a rapidly expanding market, and nearly every domestic market is nearly saturated.
And only if domestic jobs have a lower overall cost than foreign jobs + shipping costs.
And only if those that lower cost of the domestic jobs are apparent no later than the next quarter.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2864 on: March 20, 2012, 05:32:08 pm »

No modern US politician can fix the economy. The reason is, they're all lawyers. Of course they try to treat the US economy as a service industry, and of course they see unions as a universally deadly threat. They have no idea how a manufacturing business works.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 714