Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753313 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2730 on: March 14, 2012, 10:54:17 am »

Aye cript, but you forget that a fair amount of the conservatives still have their head stuck up the ass of 200-years-ago!America (or at least their imagination of that time period ::)). They'll make a nice little hullabaloo over it, though probably with emphasis on little.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: March 14, 2012, 10:56:47 am »

I am sure its on youtube by now, but I can't really verify with my work bandwidth.

It was something close to:

The last time we had the British in the White House, it was under slightly different circumstances. And they really lit up the place.

Hehe.
Obama's a funny guy.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: March 14, 2012, 11:25:28 am »

Was Cameron offended?  No?  Then what does it matter?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2733 on: March 14, 2012, 11:31:09 am »

It's an election year. Everything matters, especially the things that don't matter.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2734 on: March 14, 2012, 11:33:26 am »

I was mildly offended, I don't think that is the kind of joke that the president should be making. I don't think I am unique in that among potential Obama voters. There will be a lot of people pointing to this as some kind of proof that Obama is trying to destroy America. Both of those things can impact his reelection.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: March 14, 2012, 11:34:47 am »

It was a self depreciating joke on behalf of the Americans, not a poke at the British.

Obama hinting that Amurica ever failed at anything ever is of course grounds for treason charges.

Completely baseless speculation: I hear that FDR made the same joke when J.M. Keynes stayed at the white house.  Keynes was so offended he vowed never returned to return to the US.  He later relented but they had to organize the Bretton Woods conference in New Hampshire so that he could attend while spending as little time outside British territory as possible.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:38:38 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: March 14, 2012, 11:35:38 am »

There will be a lot of people pointing to this as some kind of proof that Obama is trying to destroy America. Both of those things can impact his reelection.

Then those people are idiots, and we shouldn't value their political opinions. When most other politicians get away with spewing vile, false trash from their mouth holes on a daily basis, trying to stick it to the president for making a completely tasteful joke about one of our allies is beyond hypocritical.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:37:51 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: March 14, 2012, 11:43:28 am »

It was a self depreciating joke on behalf of the Americans, not a poke at the British.
...How?  "Last time you were here you set fire to things".  What element of that is self deprecating as opposed to gentle ribbing of the other party?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: March 14, 2012, 11:47:54 am »

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with it being a pretty decent joke. Not great, but mildly amusing, and certainly not offensive. Then again, I think there's a difference between a joke and being disrespectful of the dead.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: March 14, 2012, 11:49:33 am »

...How?  "Last time you were here you set fire to things".  What element of that is self deprecating as opposed to gentle ribbing of the other party?
Because it was a war?  In wars it's generally considered a pretty bang up job of things to set fire to your opponents capitol.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2740 on: March 14, 2012, 11:53:11 am »

There will be a lot of people pointing to this as some kind of proof that Obama is trying to destroy America. Both of those things can impact his reelection.

Then those people are idiots, and we shouldn't value their political opinions. When most other politicians get away with spewing vile, false trash from their mouth holes on a daily basis, trying to stick it to the president for making a completely tasteful joke about one of his allies is beyond hypocritical.

Yes, those people ARE idiots. But they vote, and therefor their opinions do have value in an election year, value for Obama's opponents.

The joke wasn't about our allies, it was about the one and only time since the founding of America that our Capitol was invaded and destroyed by a foreign power. It would be similar to the PM of Japan making a Hiroshima joke while welcoming an American President. Or the PM of Israel making a holocaust joke while welcoming the German Chancellor. I know it is just a joke, but it was in bad taste given the circumstance.

Plus Obama has zero comedic timing.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: March 14, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »

Lighten up, dude. It was 200 years ago. Don't the Brits still joke about how Americans should quit pretending to be revolutionaries and return to the Empire, or demand a refund on the tea thrown into Boston Harbor?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: March 14, 2012, 12:14:52 pm »

No one here recalls the burning of the Washington as anything remotely close to the Holocaust or Hiroshima, either.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: March 14, 2012, 12:17:13 pm »

IMHO the order of magnitude between the British pointing out to the young USA who still ruled the roost, and the killing of hundreds of thousands in seconds by the atom bombs and the living hell that was the holocaust is very, very different. I dont think they are in any way a fair comparison.

This is a blank sig.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: March 14, 2012, 12:19:09 pm »

According to Wikipedia, approximately 31 people died in the burning of Washington DC, the vast majority of them accidentally. So yeah, comparing it to the Holocaust is pretty tacky.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 714