Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753361 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2715 on: March 13, 2012, 10:08:12 pm »

So if Gingrich drops out what happens to his delegates?  Do they get to rechoose who they're going to vote for?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: March 13, 2012, 10:15:31 pm »

I cannot believe I'm saying the next 5 words, but in Rick Santorum's defense, the impression that the quote you provided gives is tremendously at odds with the meaning the video's context adds. I mean, I'll be the first to agree that when being confronted with the hypocrisy of the stereotypical politician, saying that you should vote for someone else if you're looking for fanatical consistency is a poor choice*, but let's not be disingenuous here.
That doesn't seem to be what he's saying.  It's more like "Look, I don't agree with you, I don't regret voting for those measures, vote for Ron Paul if those are your views".  Rick Santorum doesn't believe in limited government, so "How are these measures limited governance?" is basically a nonsense question to him since he agrees that they aren't.
Ah, okay. The impression I got that he was saying he doesn't care about those particular issues, and the tone in which he said it gave me the sense that it was akin to telling somebody "You might as well throw your vote away, you're not getting what you want, anyway". Possibly I'm expecting nobody in the party to display respect for Paul for the duration of the primaries, which might be coloring my interpretation. I can't really make a convincing argument one way or the other, it's just I don't think he was being entirely sincere about it.

If that was an honest suggestion to vote for one's actual preference instead of based on "viability", then I guess Santorum earns one more respect point for integrity relative to other candidates, which remains entirely worthless since I detest most of his actual policies.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: March 13, 2012, 11:11:45 pm »

So this set of wins, that's actually kind of big for Santorum, isn't it?

Man, every time this thing starts winding down...

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: March 13, 2012, 11:24:17 pm »

Hurray, the clown circus continues!

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:02 pm »

So this set of wins, that's actually kind of big for Santorum, isn't it?

Not really big, more like small fry but must win.

If it causes Gingrich to drop out, it would improve his vote share.  But it would also decrease the odds of a brokered convention as there would be less vote splitting.  He only caught up to Romney by 10 delegates out of 69.  If Santorum won the same proportion of the remaining delegates, he'd still be behind Romney.  And this wasn't exactly the most Romney friendly territory.  Still, this does keep alive the possibility of a brokered convention, which is best case scenario... for democrats.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2720 on: March 13, 2012, 11:35:23 pm »

I get the impression that everyone has given up on the idea of getting the people who support you to vote. And now the election game is all about how to get the other guys people to not vote.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: March 13, 2012, 11:36:12 pm »

Sadly that has always been how it is. Even more so in the general election.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: March 13, 2012, 11:53:01 pm »

I think Gingrich just wants to watch it all burn. He's gonna go all the way, like Ross Perot, reborn then grown old and corpulent again. He's going to tax Republicans a little bit for not supporting him.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: March 14, 2012, 07:52:42 am »

Okay....so polling is obviously worth jack in close races. Santorum was polling in 3rd place yesterday and won 'Bama pretty solidly and narrowly squeaked out Mississippi. Romney won the Hawaii caucuses, but meh....Ron Paul is using his golden magic to woo those caucus delegates anyways.
Romney also got 9 delegates out of American Samoa, which is hardly surprising considering that somewhere around 25% of Samoans are Mormon.

So it's on to the Missouri caucuses on Saturday, Puerto Rico on Sunday, and then....Republican Debate #61309857489206 on Monday.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:58 am »

Didn't Missouri vote already?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: March 14, 2012, 10:29:46 am »

In the speach this morning where Obama was welcoming P.M. Cameron to the White House, he made a joke about this. This annoyed me greatly. And I can almost guarantee that the  conservative blogosphere will explode in outrage over this.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33:18 am »

Could you share the joke with us please?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: March 14, 2012, 10:36:32 am »

I am sure its on youtube by now, but I can't really verify with my work bandwidth.

It was something close to:

The last time we had the British in the White House, it was under slightly different circumstances. And they really lit up the place.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: March 14, 2012, 10:48:20 am »

That happened 200 years ago. The Americans of that time are nothing like the Americans of this time and ditto for the British. Amount I care: Zero.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:38 am »

I welcome Republicans getting their panties in a twist over this, personally. Nothing like a stupid debate over propriety as it applies to something 200 years ago, to underscore why they don't deserve to be elected.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 714