Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753814 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2445 on: February 26, 2012, 07:48:51 pm »

So besides that, you say, kids attending public school do have some measure of responsibility inheriant in attending the schools, say they cannot completely trash the classroom or clog the bathroom toliets day after day. How does that fundamentally differ from mandating their behavior to the effect that they have to clean the facilities they dirty or maintain the public property they benefit from?

It doesn't, which nobody's really arguing about.  It's how you think separating that idea, from the original idea of responsibility being delineated by economic class, is somehow a trivial distinction.  Nobody is saying it's a bad thing for kids to be involved in taking care of their schools (to the extent that it's about character building, not about replacing the janitorial staff).  Which is I why I think the argument can be dropped.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: February 26, 2012, 07:57:08 pm »

It doesn't, which nobody's really arguing about.  It's how you think separating that idea, from the original idea of responsibility being delineated by economic class, is somehow a trivial distinction.  Nobody is saying it's a bad thing for kids to be involved in taking care of their schools (to the extent that it's about character building, not about replacing the janitorial staff).  Which is I why I think the argument can be dropped.

Also, my opinion and political veiwpoint probably differs from that of Newt Gringrich, as such, isn't align with the topic of the Republican primary and so is off-topic and I should shut up anyways, so I concur that the argument can be dropped.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:10:44 pm by Montague »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: February 26, 2012, 08:08:20 pm »

Getting a little back on the rails of the topic, Santorum was here to "headline the Chattanooga Tea Party’s Liberty Forum".[Chattanooga Times Free Press]

"In law enforcement, we believe, in my administration, the government should only be involved in peoples lives in things they cannot do for themselves." says the Hamilton County Sheriff. "I've seen what can happen to young people who are not kept on track," he says. "One of my responsibilities, is to oversee the SRO program,    It's not a babysitting program," he says. "We're there to mentor."

"We've all seen our government overstep its bounds," the vice president of the local Tea Party says. "I really really like president Bush, except when he was governing, our conservative president governed like a liberal." he says.

Those are just some of the earlier highlights, here's the article that provides a transcript of it: http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012/feb/25/live-chattanooga-liberty-forum-rick-santorum/
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: February 26, 2012, 08:53:46 pm »

The sad thing is compared with this new batch of looneys Bush really does look like a liberal in comparison.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: February 26, 2012, 09:53:52 pm »

So can we just raise FDR and Lincoln from the dead and run them for President and Vice President as independents? Roosevelt could use his magical liberal powers to fix our problems, and Lincoln could use his freakish stature and strength to emancipate the GOP candidates' limbs from their bodies.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: February 27, 2012, 12:40:40 am »

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: February 27, 2012, 03:23:43 am »

Apparently Mitt Romney is now a bad word.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: February 27, 2012, 03:25:53 am »

Huh. So we've got Santorum and Romney, who's going to pull something out for Gingrich and Paul?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: February 27, 2012, 06:16:14 am »

I dont think you could get away with turning paul into a swear, especially in america.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:05 am »

Huh. So we've got Santorum and Romney, who's going to pull something out for Gingrich and Paul?

Gingrich already sounds like one of those quaint Britishy curse words. *hits door with toes* "Gingrich!"
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: February 27, 2012, 07:30:04 am »

I think Newt Gingrich's name would make a great harry potter villain.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: February 27, 2012, 07:32:45 am »

Newt Gingrich wants to cut federal payroll by more then 100%.  I hope he fires himself twice.

There's something misleading about this article.

It assumes that payroll is the only place you'd save money by firing those people, which is not the case. If you fire someone, you're also saving money on all the resources he uses. A fired employee no longer needs to use a computer, have a desk, work in a building, or any of the other costs associated with people. And he wasn't even just talking about firing people, he was talking about reforming the way the system is managed in general.

Gingrich is a bit nuts, but it's ridiculous to think that the only cost associated with civil service is payroll.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: February 27, 2012, 07:40:33 am »

Newt Gingrich wants to cut federal payroll by more then 100%.  I hope he fires himself twice.

There's something misleading about this article.

It assumes that payroll is the only place you'd save money by firing those people, which is not the case. If you fire someone, you're also saving money on all the resources he uses. A fired employee no longer needs to use a computer, have a desk, work in a building, or any of the other costs associated with people. And he wasn't even just talking about firing people, he was talking about reforming the way the system is managed in general.

Gingrich is a bit nuts, but it's ridiculous to think that the only cost associated with civil service is payroll.

Okay, you can chose to use that interpretation.  But the entire non-military discretionary budget of the United States is less then 500 billion.  So he is still talking about cutting the budget by more then the entire amount of the budget.

Meanwhile: Romney, friend of NASCAR team owners
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: February 27, 2012, 07:40:57 am »

It's also ridiculous to think you can save so much money from the Civil Service without abolishing it altogether. But yeah, that article is misleading.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:15 am »

It's also ridiculous to think you can save so much money from the Civil Service without abolishing it altogether. But yeah, that article is misleading.

I'm sorry but what is misleading about it?

Quote from: Gingrich
“I think that, if we were prepared to repeal the 130-year-old civil service laws, go to a modern management system, we could save a minimum of $500 billion a year with a better system.”

Did the article misrepresent his views?  Is there some universe in which these views aren't crazy?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 714