Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 751856 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1710 on: February 09, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »

You know, the entire world does not actually revolve around the United States. There are plenty of heavily consumerist countries out there to keep those Chinese factories going, and the whole world turning.

If North America just sank into the sea one day, the world would in fact keep going, even if it would temporarily wreak havoc with the economy.
Perhaps you missed the memo, but the United States has the largest economy in the entire world. By far. China is second, and they aren't even close to breaking even with the US economy.

North America sinking into the ocean would mean the deaths of about 454,000,000 people and the instantaneous destruction of the one remaining superpower. The power vacuum of violence as a likely collapsing European Union, a likely self-destructing Russia, and a likely starving and revolting PRC try to fill the void would be the largest and most deadly conflict in all of human history.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:22:27 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: February 09, 2012, 08:22:19 pm »

No, the world doesn't revolve around the US, but the world is a lot more heavily interconnected than it ever has been. Any of the major powers go down suddenly -- or even sufficient numbers of the smaller ones, in quick succession -- and it's going to destabilize significant amounts of the world for a damn long time; a couple of generations at least, assuming a cascade effect doesn't hit that wrecks things for even longer.

All that's one of the reasons there's significant portions of the US that wants to become more self-sufficient (Nevermind that's not really possible anymore).

Simple fact is that the US is currently the world's hyperpower -- it going down without some forewarning and preparatory power shifts will screw the entire global situation straight to hell. We're not talking just some economic upsets, we're talking full out global destabilization. It's not something anyone sane wants to see, because the repercussions would echo -- hard -- for an easy few hundred years.

E: Ninja'd.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 09, 2012, 08:26:43 pm »

To be honest, if the US goes down, the rest of the world's not far behind. Especially Canada.

And if Canada doesn't go down, Oregon and Washington would probably join them, to be honest.

You know, the entire world does not actually revolve around the United States. There are plenty of heavily consumerist countries out there to keep those Chinese factories going, and the whole world turning.

If North America just sank into the sea one day, the world would in fact keep going, even if it would temporarily wreak havoc with the economy.
Blasphemy! Everyone knows that America is the center of the universe, and that God's chosen live there! The rest of the world is irrelevant! Now where's mah oil?
</sarcasm>

I guess it would depend on how long you define "temporarily". Keep in mind that a lot of stuff that was made in Japan is still more expensive than it used to be after the nuclear disaster, and that was relatively minor compared to an entire country dissolving/sinking into the ocean (not trying to downplay it, it was still horrible for the people living there). Things would pick up again eventually, but there would be chaos significant changes for a time.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 09, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »

Where would you people get your political directions if it was not for us? Your own morality or something silly like that?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 09, 2012, 09:45:53 pm »

If America sunk into the sea tomorrow the resultant aggregate demand shock to the world economy would probably cause the breakup of the EU and cause a civil war in China.  There would be a lot of instability in the middle east due to the power vacuum and Africa would suffer a few dozen humanitarian catastrophes due to the chaos in the EU and loss of US aid.  Japan's growth prospects would take yet another hit as it is highly dependent on exports to the US, Europe and China.

Ironically the regions closest to the US would probably be among the best able to weather the storm.  Although the economy of Canada would be thrown into chaos, their economic confidence would remain solid so they could make it back to trend within a few years.  Latin America is becoming increasingly self-sufficient so although they'd suffer a bigger shock then Europe they shouldn't fall apart like the EU.  India and Australia would lose out on the benefits of globalization but have political stability and democracy so they would make it through.

The geopolitical map would certainly look pretty different after a few decades.  Canada could be an emerging great power with their economic stability and their relatively pro-immigration political scene.  China could end up doing pretty much anything imaginable.  Europe would become a lot less amicable with nations on the periphery like the UK and the Nordics probably doing quite well for themselves, comparatively speaking.  India and China would probably be getting all up in each others shit and it would be interesting to see how the remaining stable democracies of the world would play that scene.

Of course this is all hazy speculation so feel free to substitute your own speculation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 09, 2012, 09:50:17 pm »

So in short: No, America is not the supreme power of the world. Yes, things would be different if it (or just about any major world power) were to suddenly vanish. Yes, this should be made into it's own thread if people want, as I highly doubt that election results will cause any Atlantis-style sinking.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1716 on: February 09, 2012, 10:16:20 pm »

To be honest, if the US goes down, the rest of the world's not far behind. Especially Canada.

And if Canada doesn't go down, Oregon and Washington would probably join them, to be honest.

Looks like you missed the part where the US is the only remaining superpower in the world, the largest economy in the world, the largest oil importer in the world...

Also, HUGE portions of the internet are based in the US.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: February 09, 2012, 10:28:05 pm »

I'd say that I don't see what any of this has to do with anything, least of all the state of the elections, but I admit it's pretty slow news right now.

Oh yeah, the Conservatives Convention, CPAC, started meeting today.  Headline panels included: "The Failure of Multiculturalism", "Demonic: How the Liberal Mob is Endangering America", "Conservative Dating", "Islamic Law in America", "Obama’s Agents Are Reading Your Emails", and "Why Am I Living In My Parent's Basement?".  I'm not making any of those up, you can read it for yourself.

Oh and the answer to that last one?  Hint: It's Obama's fault.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: February 09, 2012, 10:38:02 pm »

(reverse?) Poe's Law in action. No matter what the parodies come up with, the real thing will always sound just as wacky.

I wonder if anyone's gonna remember that it was originally Bush's agents that were reading the emails, thanks to good ol' PATRIOT ACT?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: February 09, 2012, 11:38:43 pm »

(reverse?) Poe's Law in action. No matter what the parodies come up with, the real thing will always sound just as wacky.

I wonder if anyone's gonna remember that it was originally Bush's agents that were reading the emails, thanks to good ol' PATRIOT ACT?

Too bad public concentration tends to last about 6-10 months. See: Syria's civil war/war for freedom currently raging. The latest news I get on Syria comes out of Europe, and is typically re-covered for about 5 minutes by the American national news.

I was shocked to see new videos released by a BBC crew on a 3 a.m. newscast, only to have the next story be about Eli Manning going to Disney World after the superbowl. I bet you can assume which one had better coverage by the American crew (as the BBC videos weren't their work).
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: February 09, 2012, 11:45:15 pm »

Maybe if Syria had a station at Epcot we would care about them.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: February 10, 2012, 12:00:06 am »

I'd say that I don't see what any of this has to do with anything, least of all the state of the elections, but I admit it's pretty slow news right now.

Oh yeah, the Conservatives Convention, CPAC, started meeting today.  Headline panels included: "The Failure of Multiculturalism", "Demonic: How the Liberal Mob is Endangering America", "Conservative Dating", "Islamic Law in America", "Obama’s Agents Are Reading Your Emails", and "Why Am I Living In My Parent's Basement?".  I'm not making any of those up, you can read it for yourself.

Oh and the answer to that last one?  Hint: It's Obama's fault.

He's not making it up. See here for more.

Other highlights include:
  • "Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media’s Attack on Christianity – Conservative Book Nook"
  • "The Need for a Twenty-first Century Gold Standard – Harding" (surprisingly, Ron Paul isn't involved here)
  • "Debate: Is the “Arab Spring” Good or Bad for America?" (we better figure out if democratization of the Middle East is a good thing before deciding whether or not to allow them to overthrow their horrible authoritarian rulers!)
  • "The Obama EPA's Green Assault on American Jobs" (the environment is taking our jobs, dammit)
  • "Political Correctness & The Wussification of America" (seriously)
  • "The Crusader: Ronald Reagan and the Fall of Communism & Dupes: How America’s
    Adversaries Have Manipulated Progressives for a Century" (Ronald Reagan never would have manipulated anyone or anything, right guys!?)
  • "In the Name of “Tolerance”: Countering Sexual Identity Politics in Schools & Wait No More" (just plain sickening if you know what they're referring to)
  • "Injustice: Exposing the Racial Agenda of the Obama Justice Department" (uhhhhhh)
  • "Of Thee I Zing: America’s Cultural Decline from Muffin Tops to Body Shots" (I have no idea)
  • "Why are U.S. taxpayers spending billions to promote abortion and homosexuality worldwide?" (ahhaahahahahah "promote homosexuality")

I swear I didn't know there would be so many good ones.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: February 10, 2012, 12:04:51 am »

"In the Name of “Tolerance”: Countering Sexual Identity Politics in Schools & Wait No More" (just plain sickening if you know what they're referring to)

Does it involve trying to turn gays straight?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:28 am »

10:30 Data Mining and Common Core Standards: Big Brother is Taking Over Your Children’s Upbringing – Truman
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Arch Conservative brainwashing at it's best.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: February 10, 2012, 12:40:11 am »

"In the Name of “Tolerance”: Countering Sexual Identity Politics in Schools & Wait No More" (just plain sickening if you know what they're referring to)

Does it involve trying to turn gays straight?
I imagine it does advocate we all 'pray the gay away' somewhere in the speech, yes.

Some of those points might be relevant. The governments disposed of or in the process of being disposed in the "Arab Spring" could very well be replaced with something even worse, good intentions of the westernized democratic reformers are besides the point. I'm sure people remember the deal with Iraq and the sorts that tried to fill the power vaccum created when Saddam was disposed.

"How America’s Adversaries Have Manipulated Progressives for a Century"
Remember the 60's and 70's? Jane Fonda? Well, it's back! (sorta). This is probably talking about how awfully similar Iranian, Taliban, Al-Quada propaganda is to what leftist conspircy-theory types have been spouting in the last 10 years. Although, I suspect it's them copying the ideas of American leftists, not the other way around. Google translate an Iranian news source or a Jihadist website and you'll see what I mean it sounds like the guy that made "Zeitgeist" wrote it. Or it'll sound like something you'd read on Stormfront. Weird how that works.

Also, I think the German prime minister and some other leaders in Europe have made statements to the effect of "Multiculturalism has failed" although, I always wondered exactly what it was supposed to accomplish in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 714