Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753062 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2012, 03:33:26 pm »

That's my guess. Democratic candidates aren't going to spend an excessive amount of money in an largely Democratic area, because they're simply preaching to the choir. Same reason the Republican nominee (whoever it turns out to be) probably won't spend much time in super-conservative areas. It's the swing districts that will receive the most attention.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2012, 03:55:03 pm »

Interesting bit about the Dems using Iowa as a dress rehearsal. There was a lot of buzz that they used North Carolina (particularly Wake County) as a dry run during the off-year elections last November, and I think there's some weight to that. Dems took the mayor's office by a crushing margin, and retook the school board in a clean sweep of 5 seats up for bid, including unseating the current chair. Although oddly, my wife (who is a granola-muncher blue Democrat) never got any kind of phone calls, mailers, etc. urging her to vote. Maybe it was only in targeted districts.
My family never got any calls either....

I've heard some talks that North Carolina is going to be a political battleground in the 2012 elections because of Obama's unexpected victory in a southern state with a fairly large number of electoral votes back in 2008.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 03, 2012, 03:57:59 pm »

Well, where we live isn't particularly blue. It's just that we had no open races of note on our ballot. Cary mayoral race (which is small fish compared to Raleigh), and no school board races. And the school board races had achieved national prominence, with over $500,000 poured into the races from both sides--unheard of in a school board race. There was one runoff race, and the outside contributions for the runoff campaign was over $125,000. Just crazy.

@MSH: Yeah, it's going to be an interesting campaign season. I expect we'll see a lot of Obama and Biden. If the Republican nomination goes down to the wire for some reason, I expect we'll get the travelling circus o' nuts too.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »

I'm hoping for less Biden, personally. He's like that loud uncle you wish would stop talking. Yes Uncle Harry, we've heard that joke before and we're tired of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2012, 07:03:06 pm »

Surprise, Johnson is okay and Paul is like him, only with a random hatred on reproductive rights and gays, sorta odd, that.
I thought it was already pretty clear that Gary Johnson was the only decent (now former) Republican candidate, and that Paul's basically "good enough" in relation to him.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2012, 07:29:44 pm »

Crazy political question for everyone: Would you vote for Richard Stallman? Why? Why not?

God no. The man has a very tenuous connection with political and social reality. He's the kind of guy who's nice to have around because he represents some nice/interesting ideas, but he runs off a cliff with them, and seems to exist primarily inside his own head.

There's also the fact that he has no social grace whatsoever. How many people here remember that video of him picking something off his foot and eating it during a lecture? I would prefer my president to be at least as socially presentable as your average eleven-year-old.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2012, 07:48:00 pm »

If we're talking about hypotheticals, how about George Clooney? He's politically aware, doesn't come across as insane in the interviews he's had re: political issues, and has an unholy level of charisma.

Or, assuming a complete overhaul of the whole 'American born' rule, Arnold Schwarznegger? Fidelity issues might plague him, but from what I hear, he's been an effective governator willing to work with both sides. Also, California is freaking huge, it's practically a country in it's own right.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2012, 07:53:58 pm »

If we're talking about hypotheticals, how about George Clooney? He's politically aware, doesn't come across as insane in the interviews he's had re: political issues, and has an unholy level of charisma.

Or, assuming a complete overhaul of the whole 'American born' rule, Arnold Schwarznegger? Fidelity issues might plague him, but from what I hear, he's been an effective governator willing to work with both sides. Also, California is freaking huge, it's practically a country in it's own right.
I don't know anything about Clooney's politics, so no comment there.

Schwarznegger? I don't think so. He wasn't a terrible governator, but I don't think he could make a good president. I'd rather have him than Bachman or Perry, but that really isn't saying much.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 03, 2012, 07:58:14 pm »

Clooney's a Dem, quite progressive on most social issues (e.g. gay rights, abortion, civil rights etc.), can't remember his financial views, but he seems smart enough to take sensible economic advice.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #279 on: January 03, 2012, 07:59:19 pm »

As a Californian with multiple relatives who work for the state, I can tell you that Schwarzenegger had a few alright gambits, but in trying to be a big charismatic leader, had a few huge schemes involving not-paying-state-employees that nearly bankrupted quite a few families.  Of course, CHP officers were immune to furloughs and such, because [whatever reason].

(An anecdotal aside, Arnold raised sales tax by about a penny on the dollar, which only went out of effect in the last few months.  It was widely hailed as a needed concession in these tough economic times.  Jerry Brown is planning on bringing it back, and everyone I've talked to about it is throwing a fit about tax and spend liberals ruining the working man.)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 03, 2012, 08:21:16 pm »

Caucus voting is underway in Iowa.  Entrance polling suggests people under 30 are about 2-in-3 for Ron Paul, but are massively outnumbered by people over 30.  Still way too early to call.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 03, 2012, 08:29:42 pm »

CNN entrance polls are projecting a Paul-Romney-Santorum finish, which is pretty close to my projection. Of course, these are entrance polls so it's a little like projecting the game based on the halftime score.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 03, 2012, 08:41:15 pm »

CNN entrance polls are projecting a Paul-Romney-Santorum finish, which is pretty close to my projection. Of course, these are entrance polls so it's a little like projecting the game based on the halftime score.

More like predicting the winner of the Super Bowl based on the first day of camp.

I'm expecting Paul and Romney to be close. It's not too important to me, because I won't be voting on that side of the ticket anyway, but it's still interesting to watch.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 03, 2012, 08:56:38 pm »

Going into an hour after the beginning of voting, reported caucuses are almost straight 23%/23%/23% for Paul, Santorum, and Romney - still can't be called officially.  Which says Bachmann and Perry are almost certainly underwater in a state they were both heavily banking on, and Gingrich and Huntsman will be looking to New Hampshire and South Carolina for vindication.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 03, 2012, 09:02:31 pm »

Some OWS supporters went to Romney's speech and yelled at him. I don't think it worked very well.

Guardian Article (Video is strangely irrelevant)

Recording of the event.

Going into an hour after the beginning of voting, reported caucuses are almost straight 23%/23%/23% for Paul, Santorum, and Romney - still can't be called officially.  Which says Bachmann and Perry are almost certainly underwater in a state they were both heavily banking on, and Gingrich and Huntsman will be looking to New Hampshire and South Carolina for vindication.
Going into an hour after the beginning of voting, reported caucuses are almost straight 23%/23%/23% for Paul, Santorum, and Romney -
23%/23%/23% for Paul, Santorum, and Romney
23%/23%/23%
....That.....that's not.....

This is going to be a very interesting election cycle.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 714