Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753422 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2011, 11:10:36 pm »

I'd vote for him. He knows his stuff.

(Let me know if you run for office anywhere that I can vote. I don't plan on going to Texas anytime soon, but if you come up to Washington...  :P)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2011, 11:33:40 pm »

Or Michigan. We could use a leader who's both competent and not horrifically corrupt.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2011, 11:55:45 pm »

Or Minnesota, we seriously need less crazy politicians up here.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2012, 12:00:59 am »

Nonono, Aqizzar is running for governor of Texas first. We need somebody intelligent to fill the void that is Rick Perry. He'll be out of a job soon, anyway. There is no way he'll get reelected as governor after how thoroughly he has proven that he is an imbecile.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2012, 12:18:57 am »

Nonono, Aqizzar is running for governor of Texas first. We need somebody intelligent to fill the void that is Rick Perry. He'll be out of a job soon, anyway. There is no way he'll get reelected as governor after how thoroughly he has proven that he is an imbecile.

You say that as if being a moron hurts his chances.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2012, 12:47:03 am »

So we've successfully concluded that Ron Paul sucks less than the other Republicans and about the same as Obama? Good, I'm all caught up.

Also, if I were American I would probably vote Aqizzar too.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2012, 12:55:59 am »

So we've successfully concluded that Ron Paul sucks less than the other Republicans and about the same as Obama? Good, I'm all caught up.
We have determined that all of the Republicans are batshit insane, but Ron Paul is crazy in a different way. I haven't heard any comparisons to Obama yet.

Let's do that. Which candidate stands the best chance of actually beating Obama?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2012, 01:03:26 am »

We have determined that all of the Republicans are batshit insane, but Ron Paul is crazy in a different way. I haven't heard any comparisons to Obama yet.

That was in the link recently posted. It was a good read.

Let's do that. Which candidate stands the best chance of actually beating Obama?

Unfortunately one of the batshit insane social republican ones. *shudder*

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2012, 01:08:00 am »

Ron Paul is explicitly against reproductive rights, sexuality rights, and makes no effort to disguise his vision for America as a Christian Nation.  Those, and the Ron Paul newsletter linked previously, should indicate to you that he is quite a bit worse than Obama.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2012, 01:18:38 am »

I used to be planning to vote for Obama, but that was before he turned traitor on his constituency and lied about everything for the past three and a half years. These days I'd instantly support any initiative to impeach him.

Of course, I'm not a fan of any of the Republican candidates because they'd do the same things Obama did, except more enthusiastically.

So I'm not sure what I'll do come election day. Maybe nothing. There's no point to it, it's not like my vote matters. No one's does, really. At least McCain wouldn't have surprised me when he put this country on the path to becoming a police state.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2012, 01:24:58 am »

Ron Paul worse than Obama, to wit:

-indefinite detention of American citizens signed into law
-systematic extra-judicial killings with civilian deaths
-wall street bailout saving corrupt execs from prosecution

I think the point of the article is that they both suck, but you have to decide which one sucks less:
Yes, I’m willing to continue to have Muslim children slaughtered by covert drones and cluster bombs, and America’s minorities imprisoned by the hundreds of thousands for no good reason, and the CIA able to run rampant with no checks or transparency, and privacy eroded further by the unchecked Surveillance State, and American citizens targeted by the President for assassination with no due process, and whistleblowers threatened with life imprisonment for “espionage,” and the Fed able to dole out trillions to bankers in secret, and a substantially higher risk of war with Iran (fought by the U.S. or by Israel with U.S. support) in exchange for less severe cuts to Social Security, Medicare and other entitlement programs, the preservation of the Education and Energy Departments, more stringent environmental regulations, broader health care coverage, defense of reproductive rights for women, stronger enforcement of civil rights for America’s minorities, a President with no associations with racist views in a newsletter, and a more progressive Supreme Court.

Source: http://www.salon.com/2011/12/31/progressives_and_the_ron_paul_fallacies/singleton/

It's a very good read and thank you to whoever posted it originally.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2012, 01:32:14 am »

So I'm not sure what I'll do come election day. Maybe nothing. There's no point to it, it's not like my vote matters. No one's does, really. At least McCain wouldn't have surprised me when he put this country on the path to becoming a police state.
Yes it does. As more people vote, each one is worth slightly less, but only asymptotically. It still sends a message, as well as counting numerically. Gore only won by ~200 votes, too, so there's that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2012, 01:49:24 am »

Ron Paul worse than Obama, to wit:

-indefinite detention of American citizens signed into law
-systematic extra-judicial killings with civilian deaths
-wall street bailout saving corrupt execs from prosecution

Ron Paul wants to systematically destroy the FDA and EPA, which would wreak havoc with so many basic safeties.  He also wishes to erode away safety nets and further reduce the standard of living of the already shrinking middle class.  On top of that, deregulating corporations and letting them do whatever they want, while weakening federal oversights.  It's almost literally a roadmap to turn the United States into a 3rd world country.

As for indefinite detention:  Your assertion of that, in regard to his character, is false, hopefully just through you being misinformed on the subject.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2012, 01:52:10 am »

The big difference between the way that Obama sucks and Paul sucks is that Obama sucks in a conventional way and Paul sucks in a different way. Obama's kind have been in power before, and while he is indeed terrible, the amount of regression possible under him is fairly limited. If Paul gets what he wants, the damage done would most likely be irrecoverable because many of the things he wants to undo took a civil war to put in place (like the 14th amendment).

Don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of voting for Obama and really wish that there was a legitimate liberal candidate.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 01, 2012, 01:53:09 am »

Edit: Alright, fine. I'll take my depression at our political system elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:15:18 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 714