Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753590 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2011, 02:48:18 am »

I know I'll probably get chewed out for this one, but I'll probably be backing Ron Paul for the primaries. Hardcore, anti-big government conservative right here.

As for the actual presidential election, I have to put my faith in swing voters and more conservative democrats being disillusioned with Obama to get anybody else into office. Incumbents (think I'm using that word right) are notoriously difficult to run against.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2011, 02:48:53 am »

If you don't think voting matters, you would be better off campaigning for voting system reform.

eliminating the electoral college is an option.

Instant runoff is an option.

So is negative voting: you have 1 vote, you can vote for the guy you like most, or against the guy you like least.

So are any number of alternative voting systems.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2011, 02:53:35 am »

I know I'll probably get chewed out for this one, but I'll probably be backing Ron Paul for the primaries. Hardcore, anti-big government conservative right here.

As for the actual presidential election, I have to put my faith in swing voters and more conservative democrats being disillusioned with Obama to get anybody else into office. Incumbents (think I'm using that word right) are notoriously difficult to run against.

Gotcha, so you like suicidal economic policy that will end America as a world power and will put the US on equal footing with nations like Uganda, and you also worship the constitution as it was originally written and any further amendments like the bill of rights were a horrible idea and at best.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2011, 02:56:44 am »

Honestly, at the moment I'm just glad that you're actually voting :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2011, 02:57:13 am »

Can anybody explain to me why having conservative views is a good thing? I mean no need to change what isn't broken, but keeping everything the same just because 'That's how it has always been!'
I fail to see the positive side...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2011, 03:02:08 am »

Okay, yeah, whoa.  See, this is the kind of aetherial academic debate I don't want people fighting over in my thread.  If you want an explanation on what a specific candidate has espoused, or think you have one (without insulting anybody in the thread that is), feel free to explain.  I don't want another "Everybody talk about your personal political beliefs and try to pick apart everyone else's" thread.  We have and have had plenty of those already, okay?  Okay.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2011, 03:06:19 am »

Can anybody explain to me why having conservative views is a good thing? I mean no need to change what isn't broken, but keeping everything the same just because 'That's how it has always been!'

Well, sometimes things aint broke and don't need fixing. At this point I don't know what that might be.

You also need a skeptic that makes progressives really stop and think through and test the changes they want for validity.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2011, 03:06:38 am »

Here is some healthy content:

I am probably going to be voting for Obama despite him not living up to expectations.  All of the Republican forerunners at this time are varying shades and degrees of lousy, and while Obama has proven himself to be something of a lame duck, I would rather have that than some of the reforms proposed by his opponents.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2011, 03:08:26 am »

Spoiler: Redundant (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I'll just defer to Aqizzar since he's the OP and even if he weren't he'd still be speaking more to something relevant to it than I did. Is the spoiler tied directly enough to the derail that I should delete it, or can I keep it up there?

Anyway, so yeah, echoing many of the other posters. I'll take a better 3rd party candidate if one arises, but otherwise going to vote Obama out of "Meh. Good enough. I guess. Compared to the competition, anyway."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2011, 03:09:38 am »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2011, 03:10:53 am »

Extreme conservativism says that we already changed it, and it sucks. Groups like the Libertarian party want, for the most part, to revert political ideology to what the Founding Fathers intended, with some minor changes to address issues the Fathers never imagined would come up, like abortion and gay rights.

Moderate conservativism, like what you get from the Republican party, does embrace the "don't fix what isn't broken" philosophy, wanting only changes in areas that they feel need change.

Contrast that with liberalism like what you see in the Green and Democratic parties. Their philosophy is more towards "this is broken, let's fix it, and while we're at it, let's fix all this other stuff too."

None of this applies to individual candidates, for the most part, but rather trends in ideology the parties uphold. As far as candidates go, Obama certainly believes in being a fixer and a changer, as made evident by his 2008 campaign. The Republican candidates this year range from extreme conservatism to near-liberalism.

Interpret this how you wish. I'm being deliberately neutral in this post to avoid contributing to any more flare-ups.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:12:46 am by Mego »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2011, 03:15:01 am »

Okay, yeah, whoa.  See, this is the kind of aetherial academic debate I don't want people fighting over in my thread.  If you want an explanation on what a specific candidate has espoused, or think you have one (without insulting anybody in the thread that is), feel free to explain.  I don't want another "Everybody talk about your personal political beliefs and try to pick apart everyone else's" thread.  We have and have had plenty of those already, okay?  Okay.
C'mon dudes. Chill out.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2011, 03:17:02 am »

Oh boy, here we go.

But yeah, let's all discuss the topic at hand, as I've made an effort to do above.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2011, 03:20:39 am »

Okay, I'm going to stick to the actual topic for the rest of the thread before I get into a full blown internet argument.

...Which means I probably won't post much more until either after the primaries, or the roster changes.

So, I won't respond to the esteemed Capn's response. Even though I really want to.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2011, 03:22:40 am »

Then you probably shouldn't be supporting Ron Paul, since he's extremely in favor of allowing your state and local government to control your life in ways that the federal government could only dream of. If you want the government out of your life, Ron Paul is a terrible choice. If you do want to support Ron Paul, then be prepared to support someone who wants your state and local government to be able to tell you which sex acts you can't do and which religion you can or can't believe in.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 714