Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753383 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7125 on: October 24, 2012, 12:20:19 am »

Capitalism isn't about having as small a state as possible and it never was.  The first political divide in the US was between the big state federalists lead by Alexander Hamilton, the intellectual father of american capitalism, and Thomas Jefferson, the guy who said capitalism was a horrible idea.  Capitalism has never and will never be about having as small a state as possible.

If you think it is then you really don't understand what capitalism is or more importantly what it accomplishes.  Capitalism succeeds when it directs capital towards beneficial ends.  Giving rich people a bunch of money isn't just unnecessary but often actively detrimental.  When you've got a lot of money it's often easier to crush the competition then compete.  If you succeeded in drowning the government in the bathtub then capitalism would very rapidly perish.

Yeah, but stopping people from using their money as they see fit, and making money within the law as they see fit doesn't put bread in people's pockets.

Just because it's in the law doesn't mean that it's an efficient use of resources.  Market failure.  Tragedy of the commons.  These are 300 year old concepts.  And they are concepts that Adam Smith agreed with.  His invisible hand was about situations where market failures did not exist.  He explicitly laid out areas where market failures did exist and said that government should intervene then.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: October 24, 2012, 12:27:58 am »

I refute that a "free market" can exist, or at least one talked about like it's the friggin' City of Gold, just waiting to be discovered. There will never be a fair capitalist system (just look at the "how do we remove inequality?" thread to see why).

Capitalism isn't the road toward people getting rewarded solely for their effort and prowess. It just gets closer than most other systems. And I say that's a minor concern in the first place (people getting what they need is more important than people getting what they deserve).

I disagree. More people getting what they deserve in general gets everyone in general more of what they want (first thing on the hierarchy of needs being the stuff they need).

The problem is that "some people getting what they want" doesn't equate to "everyone getting what they need". As far as I'm concerned, people can stop thinking about their multimillion dollar mansions and luxury car collections until every person in the world has clean water and enough to eat. It isn't that that isn't possible, it's that capitalism doesn't prioritize everyone getting what they need to survive. Plenty of people are born into situations where they simply can not improve their condition in any (materially) significant way, regardless of what they do.
So you think people should concentrate and obtain things only for their needs and not their wants?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: October 24, 2012, 12:28:52 am »

Once needs are settled, wants can follow.

Hell I'm pretty supportive of capitalism if it's applied solely to luxuries.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: October 24, 2012, 12:33:33 am »

Economics is not the cause of those still lacking adequate needs. These are political problems in almost all cases, we have temporally surpassed scarcity for food, water, and shelter already.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Snowblind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: October 24, 2012, 05:00:25 am »

Afaik, one of the fundamental conditions for 'TRUE Capitalism' to exist is an equal playing field for every firm.

This is impossible with globalization and free-trade. No libertarian wonder-world can exist if every product and service and firm and good and commodity, upheld with righteous laws and self-determination, can compete if all of these things are imported from firms in countries practicing slave-labor and receive massive government subsidies.

If they were serious about all this rhetoric about China and 'jerbs going overseas' they'd implement protectionist measures with countries with dissimilar economic practices so that not every domestic firm is unable to compete.

But nah, let's play with the tax brackets and try to subsidize and enslave instead to compete.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:02:00 am by Snowblind »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: October 24, 2012, 06:24:37 am »

as there will still be a power structure (unlike anarchy), just with everyone controlling it instead of an oligarchy.

I know it's late, but I feel compelled to point out that this actually is anarchy.  Anarchy means "no rulers".  There can be a power structure, so long as participation and influence within that power structure is equally distributed.  Then there are no rulers, and it fits the definition of anarchy.  It may not fit any number of specific schools of anarchist thought, but that's another matter.  Many of them don't even fit the definition of anarchy anyway, such as anarcho-capitalism (which is just american libertarianism taken one step further).
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:44 am »

BACK ON TRACK:

Recent polls that I've seen seem to suggest Obama is going to win. Which is good! But by a relatively small margin. Which is stupid.

I mean the Repubs made fun of their opponents for flipflopping but when Romney does it they all just ignore it. Bipartisan politics at it's best, here.

At least the British have a third option.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: October 24, 2012, 11:00:21 am »

Wow...okay, this one just kinda flew under the wire. I'm guessing either the Tennessee Democratic Party just said "Fuck it" this year when it comes to contesting the Senate??

http://gawker.com/5954293/the-gawker-endorsement-mark-clayton-for-senate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/decision2012/2012s-worst-candidate-with-mark-clayton-tennessee-democrats-hit-bottom/2012/10/22/77da926e-1b8a-11e2-a146-ccabc9c85c53_print.html

The second piece is actually more informative (WP vs. Gawker...hardly surprising), and shows just how badly the TN Dems have fucked themselves over.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: October 24, 2012, 11:11:25 am »

I've been to TN. Doesn't surprise me one bit... sad part is it's a beautiful state, too.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: October 24, 2012, 11:19:48 am »

I've been there too. They *have* cities (at least 3 of them). You'd think they could find somebody in one of those cities that would be an actual Southern liberal and willing to run, even knowing it was a Quixotic race doomed to failure because they have no money or support. I mean, the dude even admits his primary campaign strategy was having a name which was alphabetically listed higher than his opponents.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: October 24, 2012, 11:39:01 am »

Spoiler: Oh, and this one... (click to show/hide)

Why can the rest of the world see it? What is wrong with some Americans?
This is a blank sig.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: October 24, 2012, 11:40:01 am »

I've been there too. They *have* cities (at least 3 of them). You'd think they could find somebody in one of those cities that would be an actual Southern liberal and willing to run, even knowing it was a Quixotic race doomed to failure because they have no money or support. I mean, the dude even admits his primary campaign strategy was having a name which was alphabetically listed higher than his opponents.

I thought they did find somebody but she lost the primary.

You can lead a horse to water...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: October 24, 2012, 11:42:19 am »

....Pakistan wants Romney over Obama? Though the majority don't want either of them, apparently.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:38 am »

Why can the rest of the world see it? What is wrong with some Americans?

And what the hell Pakistan?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: October 24, 2012, 11:45:16 am »

Well, Romney is a pretty heavy social conservative. Pakistanis might like that, I guess.

Now I can't stop thinking about potential Islam-Mormon interactions.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 714