Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 751483 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #705 on: January 10, 2012, 09:25:50 am »

Honestly, you guys should just go the extra miles and edit your constitution so that you can buy votes directly from the government. At least you could fund your debt that way.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 10, 2012, 10:05:48 am »

...Didn't Gingrich recently say he had lots of dirt on yhe others, but wasn't going to use it? ;D
Love, scriver~

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 10, 2012, 10:10:33 am »

Rick Santorum is amazingly crazy. Reading some of the things he says is a right hoot, I tells you. In the UK, we only get that from the parties that get like 3000 votes in an election and occasionally pop up in an article where they deny how insane one of their aides is.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 10, 2012, 10:18:43 am »

...Didn't Gingrich recently say he had lots of dirt on yhe others, but wasn't going to use it? ;D
He also said "till death do us part" 3 times. At least twice he was lying.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 10, 2012, 11:41:03 am »

Rick Santorum is amazingly crazy. Reading some of the things he says is a right hoot, I tells you. In the UK, we only get that from the parties that get like 3000 votes in an election and occasionally pop up in an article where they deny how insane one of their aides is.

Seems like Nick Griffin might be well liked by some sectors of US politics. [/irony]
This is a blank sig.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 10, 2012, 12:08:22 pm »

much as I hate to say it, Nick Griffin seems too sensible to be a republican candidate, besides which the BNP have some ostensibly environmentally friendly policies which I imagine wouldn't go down too well in some places.

England First and the EDL and whatever's left of the National Front might be mad and fascististic enough though.

Speaking of fascism, isn't it ironic how Mr. Santorum decries "islamic fascism" whilst calling for people to be monitored in case their sex life is too risque or they use contraceptives? tbh I'm quite glad that he's unelectable - he looks quite high in the polls but as far as I know, Americans generally don't like much government interference in their lives so a man as batshit insane as Santorum really has no chance, I think his position in the polls is just a large blip.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 10, 2012, 12:21:30 pm »

He's high in the polls among registered Republican voters, and even then he's only at about 20%, still behind Romney.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 10, 2012, 12:21:47 pm »

Problem is, to the sort of folks who are inclined towards Santorum government morality policing != "intrusive government" (as long as it's Christian morality).

But yeah, he's got a snowball's chance in Hell of actually being elected. If the GOP were to derp hard enough to nominate him, Obama would have the biggest landslide victory since Reagan-Mondale.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:47 pm »

Which is why I really really hope he gets the nomination. Nothing would do more to turn out the liberals and independents than the threat of a President Santorum, I think.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 10, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »

Latest NH polls are intriguing:

Romney has had about about an 8-point drop in the last couple of days, not enough to put the race in doubt for him, but certainly a sign that the attacks on him are starting to actually have an effect.

Paul has dropped a couple of points, possibly backlash for the Paul-aligned PAC's ads calling Huntsman "the Manchurian Candidate".

Santorum and Gingrich have each gained a point or two, but the big story is Jon Huntsman. He's nearly doubled his number in the Granite State in the last 3 days, from around 8-9% to 16.6%. He's within less than a percentage point of Ron Paul, who is sitting at 17.4%. Given the time-delay between poll results and the actual reality on the ground, there's a very good chance that Huntsman overtakes Paul and grabs 2nd place in New Hampshire.

It will also be key to see where Romney's final numbers end up. If that trend holds, he could wind up with a lukewarm win in the low 30s, which would make him look weak and give encouragement to all the other candidates to stay in.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 10, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »

Is this the beginning of Huntsman's turn at being Not-Romney? I certainly looks like a possibility!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 10, 2012, 12:55:28 pm »

Well and the other big thing is that this is the first real drop we've seen for Romney. All the previous Anti-Romney surges have come mostly at the expense of the previous contender(s) for the Anti-Romney title. Now we're starting to see not only Huntsman jump, but mild jumps for Gingrich and Santorum. Now, we also may be seeing just a normalizing of support for Romney, because he got a boost in most state polls after Iowa. That boost may be wearing off and reversing now. You'll know he's in real trouble if/when his support in those states drops below the pre-Iowa levels. You're also seeing an uptick in the severity of attacks from Huntsman on Romney, with him recently calling Romney "unelectable" as a candidate. That's going to make for awkward family gatherings (Huntsman and Romney are 3rd cousins once removed, in case you didn't know).

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 10, 2012, 01:30:08 pm »

Is that a bad thing, or is there another non-insane candidate? Or was Romney just the least insane of them?
I'm not keeping track of all the candidates but Romney was one of the few that came on the Dutch news when the reporter listed a few. It was basically moderate Romney, extremist Ron Paul and some other person.

And awesome Bachman of course. Is she still in the race? :P

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 10, 2012, 01:59:34 pm »

Rick Perry accidentally accurate about his SC campaign.

Also the 538 forecast for NH. They don't mention Buddy Roemer who has shown similar levels of support to Perry. He isn't included because, well, he had to ask nicely to even be included in the polls. He is polling 1-3% depending on the poll. Perry is at 1-2%.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 10, 2012, 02:22:54 pm »

And awesome Bachman of course. Is she still in the race? :P
Nope.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 714